Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: Duty on new iPads

I can't remember the exact amount, but you are generally allowed to bring in up to R3000 (open to correction) without paying duties. Anything in excess of this you generally have to pay local VAT and a fixed admin fee (don't think it's too much). So 14% at what ever exchange rate SARS are using that day.

As mentioned you may be able to claim back the VAT on the UK side. As you leave the country they will pay you the VAT you've already paid on the item. Make sure you have the receipts, for the South African Customs too.

You are allowed to bring in new goods up to the value of R5,000 before you are required to declare it:

http://www.sars.gov.za/uploads/image...ad_195X206.pdf

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by GarethC View Post
    I can't remember the exact amount, but you are generally allowed to bring in up to R3000 (open to correction) without paying duties. Anything in excess of this you generally have to pay local VAT and a fixed admin fee (don't think it's too much). So 14% at what ever exchange rate SARS are using that day.
    I presume they use the same method as normal which would be 1.1 * 14%.

As mentioned you may be able to claim back the VAT on the UK side. As you leave the country they will pay you the VAT you've already paid on the item. Make sure you have the receipts, for the South African Customs too.
    On the UK side you have to get the relevant paperwork from the retailer. A receipt is not enough.

You should pay 0% customs. there is no customs charge on electronics. They will however charge you vat. 14% vat on 110% of the items original value. Eg: if the item was 100 rand, then they work out the vat on 110 rand therefore vat would be R125,40 and not R114.

Quote Originally Posted by phiber View Post
    You should pay 0% customs. there is no customs charge on electronics. They will however charge you vat. 14% vat on 110% of the items original value. Eg: if the item was 100 rand, then they work out the vat on 110 rand therefore vat would be R125,40 and not R114.
    What? Please post a link or something that confirms that.
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!

Super Grandmaster

The VAT calculation is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by phiber View Post
    You should pay 0% customs. there is no customs charge on electronics.
    I doubt that is the case.

If you are resident in the UK, and you claim all 3 iPads are yours (ie you make out like all 3 are going back with you) then surely you don't need to pay any duty?

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by eehellfire View Post
    If you are resident in the UK, and you claim all 3 iPads are yours (ie you make out like all 3 are going back with you) then surely you don't need to pay any duty?
    I think there is provision for having a visitor pay and then they get it back when they leave.

thanks all for your replies...i did manage to get some info from SARS which states that i could opt to pay a 20% flat rate on the value of the goods (which has now gone up another new ipad to make it 4)
    Line Rate Down 22476 Kbps/Up 2278 Kbps
    Attainable Line Rate 23772 Kbps 0 Kbps
    Noise Margin 5.8 dB 5.8 dB
    Be Unlimited Pro 24Mb

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Hotentot_UK View Post
    thanks all for your replies...i did manage to get some info from SARS which states that i could opt to pay a 20% flat rate on the value of the goods (which has now gone up another new ipad to make it 4)
    Also if you tell them what you want to import they'll look up the code and tell you whether there are duties.

Quote Originally Posted by satanboy View Post
    wtf do you mean IF?
    He means not declaring it to customs? Shock Horror!!!!

In case anyone is interested, I arrived last week, an hour late, and at risk of missing my connecting flight. I did go through the red channel, and low and behold not a single person there....... I didn't have time to look around for anyone so I ended up not paying anything
    Be Unlimited Pro 24Mb

Are any of these iPads by any chance for sale?
    /OomD

Quote Originally Posted by OomD View Post
    Are any of these iPads by any chance for sale?
    Unfortunately not, I brought them for my brother and some of his friends
    Be Unlimited Pro 24Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Hotentot_UK View Post
    if i was not to declare them could find myself paying a hefty fine PLUS the duty if stopped
    What is the hefty fine?

I've never seen what it is, as it would be nice to know the risk/benefit of declaring or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast