Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: D800 and D4 DxOMark scores have been published

Default D800 and D4 DxOMark scores have been published

See www.dxomark.com. The D4 result is not as controversial as the D800, but it is still good to see that the D4 is an improvement overall on the D3x, maybe even the D3s under the DxO test conditions.

But I really want to talk about the D800 results, where the D800 is now ranked 1st overall, ahead of the MF sensors. First, one has to keep in mind that DxO scales all the images to 8 MP when performing sensor tests, in other words, they are comparing relative image quality with a fixed print size in mind (roughly 12x8").

This means that the D800 images are scaled down quite a bit (about 4 pixels to 1), which increases the effective dynamic range, and reduces apparent noise. The bottom line is that the dynamic range scores of DxO mark usually favour higher resolution sensors, which is why the D3x used to be the FF champ.

Anyhow, if you choose a fixed print size IQ as your objective, the D800 really puts up a good show.

Looking at full size images (or much larger prints), the D800 will still have excellent dynamic range, i.e., it looks like this is the landscape FF body of choice.

And with that, let the nit-picking begin!
    Registered Linux user #54110. Gentoo or nothing.

I want one so bad... D800 that is.

Wow, looked at some sample pics from the D800, I am blown away. High ISO performance is also incredible. I want one!!

Grandmaster

and DP Review has published their full review of the D800, with the D800e coming up next.

I am still not convinced that I want one :P

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/

Quote Originally Posted by mic_y View Post
    and DP Review has published their full review of the D800, with the D800e coming up next.

I am still not convinced that I want one :P

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/
    Oh I want one, cant afford one ... still want one.

D800 on my wish List!!! D700 price should be dropping soon should be more affordable!!!!
    Nikon D600/D7100, Nikon 70-200mm /2.8G VRII , 105mm /2.8 VRII, 85mm /1.8G, 50mm /1.8G, SB-700/400, YN560III, Tamron 24-70mm /2.8VC, Sigma 15-30mm /3.5-4.5