Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: How to setup network properly?

Default How to setup network properly?

Hi guys

Could someone please help with configuring my network properly. This is what it looks like at the moment. My DIR-615 worked just plugging it in but there are some issues.

Main house:

Telkom Netgear DG834GUv5 (10.0.0.2)
    -- PC1 - Windows XP (wired)
    -- PC2 - Windows XP (wired)
    -- iSonic QR130 mediabox (wired)
    -- Wireless sharing

Cottage:

The D-Link DIR-615 (dd-wrt) connects via cable to the Telkom ADSL router for internet

D-Link DIR-615 (dd-wrt) router (192.168.1.1)
    -- PC3 - Windows 7 (wired)
    -- Western Digital TV Live Hub Mediabox (wired)
    -- Multiple Windows 7 laptops connecting via wireless

Main problems:

Need to get all the PCs on the same IP Range (DHCP settings etc? Don't know what to do for those on which router) and set static IPs
    Sharing between the Windows XP PCs inside the house and the Windows 7 computer in the cottage
    The iSonic QR130 mediabox inside has network capabilities. Would it be possible for it to browse the files on the WD TV Live Hub in the cottage?
    How to get browsing on the iSonic QR130 to PC3 (Windows 7) in the cottage properly?

Paintjobbie for visual representation: http://i.imgur.com/XrMwM.jpg

TIA!
    Current ISP: WebAfrica 60GB+120GB Home ADSL [Cancelled end of November]

Disable DHCP from the D-link. It already connects to your Netgear via wired, so your cottage should then receive DHCP from the Netgear automatically. This should fix all the sharing issues you have at the moment, however Windows XP and Windows 7 sharing is always a hit-and-a-miss IMO

Quote Originally Posted by AcidRaZor View Post
    Disable DHCP from the D-link. It already connects to your Netgear via wired, so your cottage should then receive DHCP from the Netgear automatically. This should fix all the sharing issues you have at the moment, however Windows XP and Windows 7 sharing is always a hit-and-a-miss IMO
    This ^

Disabling dhcp on the d- link should do the trick. You might consider specifying an IP on it, but this shouldn't be necessary.
    In South Africa even the information superhighway has potholes in it.

Thumbs up Agreed!

+1

Quote Originally Posted by AcidRaZor View Post
    Last edited by FartyMarty; 04-10-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by FartyMarty View Post
    +1
    Pointless post, but yes as said above..

I find quite nice setting up 2 wifi routers to connect to each other to extend the same wifi over the whole house, works quite nice for when I move around..

Thanks for the help. Should I move the d-link to the 10.0.0.x ip range as well or leave it as is?
    Current ISP: WebAfrica 60GB+120GB Home ADSL [Cancelled end of November]

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Thanks for the help. Should I move the d-link to the 10.0.0.x ip range as well or leave it as is?
    It should pick up a 10.0.0.x IP from the Netgear. Alternatively you can set a static IP for the d-link, but this isn't necessary. Either way you'll want the D-Link to be in the 10.0.0.x range.
    In South Africa even the information superhighway has potholes in it.

What you can also do is set up DHCP on both routers.

ie.
    NetGear (IP 10.0.0.2) Allocation range 10.0.0.3-10.0.0.20
    Dlink (IP 10.0.0.21) Allocation range 10.0.0.22-10.0.0.50

Or something along those lines :P