Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

View Poll Results: Would you like to have a dedicated competitions and promotions forum on MyBroadband?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 77.27%
  • No

10 22.73%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated competitions/promotions forum?

Default Dedicated competitions/promotions forum?

Hi folks

Some members feel that the competitions often dominate discussions. Others have asked for a more organized area for competitions and promotions.

We feel that competitions are a cool way to have some fun on the forum and give cool prizes to you (another iPad 3 coming, as well as a Nokia Lumia 800, Samsung tablets etc), but maybe a dedicated competitions and promotions forum will work better?

Can you please vote whether you would prefer a dedicated competitions and promotions forum?

Your feedback will be great.

Blog Entries

I voted yes and guess James shared my feelings with you about competitions

Dont forgot to also add membership limit to the competitions so we dont get people making accounts just to enter for like the Laptop/Ipad 3 since they meant for long time customers. Plus no spamming rule which mods will follow and ban the spammers from competitions, seen tons of spam made from the competitions, since people cba to read rules.

Like a 3 month minimum or something and 50 post minimum should stop spammers
    Last edited by ichigo; 24-03-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Super Grandmaster

Yes please

/waits for teraside to comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Merenwenrago View Post
    I voted yes and guess James shared my feelings with you about competitions
    He did indeed

Don't care but you seriously need to do something wrt the people that join purely for the compos and then spam the place with useless posts.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Don't care but you seriously need to do something wrt the people that join purely for the compos and then spam the place with useless posts.
    Point high-fived.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    100%. And the ones who try to create multiple accounts
    Quote Originally Posted by Albereth View Post
    I think a true test of humanity is if you can see a dog as your best friend rather than as lunch.

Like a sub forum or a whole new forum? I'm confused how that will change anything? Like many competitions are "post min 10 times in a week"
    Cowboy's never cry

As a wise man once said, men are from Mars and women like penis.

I voted no.

Using the current competition as an example...

There are some very interesting post in that single thread. They deserve to be posted in the correct, relevant sub-forum on MyBB but will now be lost forever in that single clustered, spammed-to-hell thread.

A solution would have been to force entrants to post their entries in the correct sub-forum / thread on MyBB and then post only a link to their entry in the competition thread.

A dedicated forum would be counter-productive to one of the purposes of these competitions; attracting new members to contribute on a regular basis. The competition junkies will only browse the competition forum.
    ELO: Here is the news...

Good points MickeyD.

I guess the idea is to have a single forum where members can keep an eye on competitions and promotions, and also that the spam type posts will all be in that forum. The current competitions are a good example.

Just to be clear: With the current competitions, would you prefer them to sit in a dedicated competitions forum or rather in Off-Topic?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    I voted no.

Using the current competition as an example...

There are some very interesting post in that single thread. They deserve to be posted in the correct, relevant sub-forum on MyBB but will now be lost forever in that single clustered, spammed-to-hell thread.

A solution would have been to force entrants to post their entries in the correct sub-forum / thread on MyBB and then post only a link to their entry in the competition thread.

A dedicated forum would be counter-productive to one of the purposes of these competitions; attracting new members to contribute on a regular basis. The competition junkies will only browse the competition forum.
    I agree.

The whole point of the comps are to create awareness of myBB & to get people to participate in the discussions on myBB.

Placing them in a locked box will drastically reduce the benefit...

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    Good points MickeyD.

I guess the idea is to have a single forum where members can keep an eye on competitions and promotions, and also that the spam type posts will all be in that forum. The current competitions are a good example.

Just to be clear: With the current competitions, would you prefer them to sit in a dedicated competitions forum or rather in Off-Topic?
    Off Topic... with the initial post in the Announcement area (as per current practice).

EDIT: if the competition requires an "interesting post" then that post should be in the relevant sub-forum/area of MyBB.
    ELO: Here is the news...

Good points MickeyD.

Maybe having them in OT will make them more accessable than locking them in a forum that will most likely be removed

Blog Entries

Good points MickeyD.

The main thread is fine in Off-topic but the annoucement/winners should be in it's own dedicated forum. Leave annoucements one for forum repairs etc.

Although by making it in Off-topic you making more work for yourself, you might as well put all into one post in its own forum

Just wondering when winner of laptop competition is going to be announced its been 2 days after the closing

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    Off Topic... with the initial post in the Announcement area (as per current practice).

EDIT: if the competition requires an "interesting post" then that post should be in the relevant sub-forum/area of MyBB.
    Seems to work fine in Mygaming with the one forum post instead of in different subforums for each xbox/PS3/PC competitions.

One thread = no one posting in wrong thread
    Last edited by ichigo; 25-03-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Maybe a special sub-forum as I was just discussing the issues of competitions about a couple of hours a go.

MyBB states there is a competition but their are related to so many of MyBB sister sites like the PS3 one and determining the stock price. What was strange was that no where on MyBB were the winners announced just on the relative sister sites. It's just that you will get people who dont check the other sites regularly so they might not know if they won.

Also wasn't there 3 Samsung tabs competitions recently. I only see that the rate your ISP one has been given away. What happened to the one for rating your broadband service and bank?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast