Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63

Thread: Why don't rich people use solar panels to power their homes?

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Smit View Post
    How do you find the oven dude? I am rethinking gas for both based on what Bwana and Toxic have said.
    Need to do some more research before plunging into this me thinks.
    My wife swears by it and refuses to go back to an electric oven. Her family have always used gas (farmer stock!).

    Also part of her efforts to go off-grid. As far as I'm concerned we need to get a fridge and freezer onto the gas supply.... to keep my beers and braai meat cold!
    Celine: "you fall into the "stupid" category."

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    My wife swears by it and refuses to go back to an electric oven. Her family have always used gas (farmer stock!).

    Also part of her efforts to go off-grid. As far as I'm concerned we need to get a fridge and freezer onto the gas supply.... to keep my beers and braai meat cold!
    Thanks dude. Think I will stick to the original plan then.
    I am 100% behind you on the fridge/freezer Think that must go into my plan too.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    My wife swears by it and refuses to go back to an electric oven. Her family have always used gas (farmer stock!).
    In the states all we had were gas ovens because everywhere we lived was piped. Didnt mean I didn't detest it any less.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

  4. #34
    Grandmaster Nanfeishen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Neither Here Nor There
    Posts
    3,737

    Default

    Gas stove + electric oven + slow cooker

    Slow cooker for casserole, stews, potjie etc, on for 12 to 15 hours equates to roughly 1 hour of oven use.

    Change all your light bulbs to LED.

    Hot water , gas system, instant gas hot water, do away with geyser (They do require certain water pressure to work (250kPa Minimum).)

    http://www.gaswaterheater.co.za/types.html
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanfeishen View Post
    Gas stove + electric oven + slow cooker

    Slow cooker for casserole, stews, potjie etc, on for 12 to 15 hours equates to roughly 1 hour of oven use.

    Change all your light bulbs to LED.

    Hot water , gas system, instant gas hot water, do away with geyser (They do require certain water pressure to work (250kPa Minimum).)

    http://www.gaswaterheater.co.za/types.html
    You are not being GREEN with that slow cooker and electric over!











    /also have slow cooker
    Celine: "you fall into the "stupid" category."

  6. #36
    Grandmaster Nanfeishen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Neither Here Nor There
    Posts
    3,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    You are not being GREEN with that slow cooker and electric over!
    True but the less i give ESKOM, the better i feel

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    /also have slow cooker
    LOL
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanfeishen View Post
    True but the less i give ESKOM, the better i feel
    Fully agree!

    We have looked into installing solar panels but it is currently not economically feasible to do so.
    Celine: "you fall into the "stupid" category."

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    173

    Default

    An interesting note, the gallium arsenide cells that a solar car uses cost +- R4 million...
    Ironically being sponsored by Eskom for the UJ solar car...
    i7 2600K @ 4.6|P8P67 PRO|8GB Vengeance 1600|Xonar D1|Corsair TX 850|EVGA 570 OC
    Proud owner of an HP 50g

  9. #39
    SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Looking for lost treasures in Barad-Dr
    Posts
    81,600
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default

    We're also looking at the possibility of gas-powered fridge and freezer.

    Want to cut our reliance on Eishkom as much as possible.

    Is also looking at the possibility of getting gas hobs, and using the electric oven for baking only.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

    Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

  10. #40
    SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Looking for lost treasures in Barad-Dr
    Posts
    81,600
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default

    But back to the topic. Rich buggers can afford it to pay for their electricity consumption, they'll just rob Peter to pay Paul.

    And they got big gennies for emergency power, so why should they worry?
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

    Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    But back to the topic. Rich buggers can afford it to pay for their electricity consumption, they'll just rob Peter to pay Paul.

    And they got big gennies for emergency power, so why should they worry?
    They also pay a lot more in various forms of taxes into the state coffers, which is used to subsidise Eskom....
    Celine: "you fall into the "stupid" category."

  12. #42

    Default

    There is a simply answer to this, which is that psychological research has shown that the more money you have you have (higher socio-economic status), the less likely you are to care about others.

    There was a study recently that showed that rich people were, literally, more likely to take candy from children, lie to gain money, break certain laws, etc... So, rich people will only be likely to use solar power if they are either very self-reflective, or if using solar-power directly benefits them. Solar is just currently not a benefit over generators + Eskom.

    Here is a link to a news story on the research.
    Last edited by Rudimental; 25-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.

  13. #43

    Default

    In Germany many people use solar power and the excess power gets sold back to the electricity providers. They should do something like that here in South Africa. Give people an incentive to install solar panels and it would benefit the provider as well in the long run.

    We have much more hotter days and sunny days than Germany so we would benefit even more than Europe if we installed solar panels.

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masu View Post
    In Germany many people use solar power and the excess power gets sold back to the electricity providers. They should do something like that here in South Africa. Give people an incentive to install solar panels and it would benefit the provider as well in the long run.

    We have much more hotter days and sunny days than Germany so we would benefit even more than Europe if we installed solar panels.
    Eskom do not want to buy back...
    Celine: "you fall into the "stupid" category."

  15. #45
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    3,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    Eskom do not want to buy back...
    Been tried many times Eskimo always said no.
    http://www.domaincheap.co.za
    Please signup to Dropbox with my referral! Greatly appreciated!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •