Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Extending wifi

Default Extending wifi

I have a telkom branded Netgear DG834guv5 router and recently moved over to MWEB. I received a "free router" a VKOM WNL108, cannot even find any online documentaion on it, nor is it even mentioned on the VKOM website.

Firstly does anybody else have this router? And what is your opinion?

Secondly I would like to connect my Samsung television to my home network, wirelessly (without buying the samsung branded usb wifi adpater)

I know the netgear router can be used as a Access point but I cannot see a way to make the VKOM connect or connect to it.

It there not maybe something cheap (cheaper than a second secondhand router)

Technically what I need is a standalone wifi dongle with 1 ethernet port. Is there such a thing?

A bonus would obviously be extending the wifi nework range

Quote Originally Posted by savagezaing View Post
    I have a telkom branded Netgear DG834guv5 router and recently moved over to MWEB. I received a "free router" a VKOM WNL108, cannot even find any online documentaion on it, nor is it even mentioned on the VKOM website.

Firstly does anybody else have this router? And what is your opinion?

Secondly I would like to connect my Samsung television to my home network, wirelessly (without buying the samsung branded usb wifi adpater)

I know the netgear router can be used as a Access point but I cannot see a way to make the VKOM connect or connect to it.

It there not maybe something cheap (cheaper than a second secondhand router)

Technically what I need is a standalone wifi dongle with 1 ethernet port. Is there such a thing?

A bonus would obviously be extending the wifi nework range
    Firstly, no.. never heard of that router.

Secondly, you're looking for a wireless client bridge. You'll have to set that up to connect to your existing wireless network, and then run a (CAT5e/CAT6) cable from the WCB to the ethernet/network port on your TV.

Assuming the VKOM router isn't WiFi-enabled, you'll have to run a cable from that to your Netgear Router (which you'll only be using as a Wireless Access Point). On the router, don't configure it to dial PPPoE (which you would only do if you were trying to establish a connection over DSL) just set up the Wireless Access Point (you may have to set its default gateway to the IP address of the VKOM router in order to make the wireless link web-enabled.

And that's it... simple

Ok, just to check if I understand you correctly. The WCB would be a 3rd device. So couldn't I just set it up to connect directly to the netgear(ASDL connected) and leave the VKOM (which is wifi enabled 150Mbs) out of the loop??

Quote Originally Posted by savagezaing View Post
    Ok, just to check if I understand you correctly. The WCB would be a 3rd device. So couldn't I just set it up to connect directly to the netgear(ASDL connected) and leave the VKOM (which is wifi enabled 150Mbs) out of the loop??
    Yes you could - I didn't realise the VKOM was wireless enabled, so you could just use the WCB and the VKOM aswell - in fact, that may well be better as the Netgear is only wireless G, whereas the VKOM you say is N150.