Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MyBB seems to be a hog!

Grandmaster

Exclamation MyBB seems to be a hog!

I don't know if this is the right area to post this in, as it has more to do with the site than the forums, but here goes.

You guys (the devs of MyBB) should look at doing a bit of optimization, have you checked the resource usage of MyBB's home page, when just sitting idle?

I've opened a couple of other JS or flash intensive sites in for reference.

But still 184MB?!?! That's more than Twitter, FB and NEws24 combined!

So I did a bit of digging, and I think I've found the culprit, it's only that high when that stupid irritating WebAfrica add with Mandela and Tutu shows. When that's not showing it drops to around 110MB (still double the usage of the other sites, but at least a wee bit better).

Anyway, just thought I'd bring this to your attention, as I am now much less inclined to leave MyBB open during the day.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting “f#ck, what a ride!"

I think that these days, 184MB doesn't really count as hogging resources.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SerenePhoenix View Post
    I think that these days, 184MB doesn't really count as hogging resources.
    Oh but it does if it's completely unnecessary!

So if I've got 5 tabs open with sites who don't think 180MB is that bad then I lose 900MB of RAM... for absolutely no good reason.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting “f#ck, what a ride!"

MyBB has adds?
    Adblock Plus FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    No, I'm actually looking at changing my ADSL carrier. Oh wait...

Blog Entries

I thought this thread was about spare ribs!

Grandmaster

My biggest issue with the myBB homepage is that it's extremely slow to scroll. The page simply seems "lazy" compared to other sites. My desktop (C2D E6750) can manage (more or less, although it's noticeable enough), but on my netbook (Intel Atom Dual Core N550) it literally takes seconds for the page to scroll. So yeah, I'd too like it if the site developers could do some cleaning up.

Disclaimer: The use of my free time precludes any reproach.

...or something on the spit!
    Real Men Don't Rape! [Lead SA]
    Report rape and sexual abuse. You can SMS an anonymous tip-off to 32211. SMS charged at R1.

Quote Originally Posted by Skerminkel View Post
    MyBB has adds?
    Adblock Plus FTW
    Please support MyBB. The site make most of its money from ads, so many forumites support the site by not blocking ads on MyBB. Block the rest of the world as much as you want to, but whitelist MyBB. The ads really aren't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacet View Post
    Please support MyBB. The site make most of its money from ads, so many forumites support the site by not blocking ads on MyBB. Block the rest of the world as much as you want to, but whitelist MyBB. The ads really aren't that bad.
    I agree but if you put adds like the webafrica one on the front page that actually play sounds and isjust plain anoying I will be forced to activate it. I actually install ADDBLOCK due to that stupid add.

Eek! With the amount of MyBB tabs I have open any given day my processor suffers so much it's no wonder I don't get any work done.

Quote Originally Posted by GoofySmurf View Post
    I agree but if you put adds like the webafrica one on the front page that actually play sounds and isjust plain anoying I will be forced to activate it. I actually install ADDBLOCK due to that stupid add.
    the add is kinda funny only the 1st time round - but to be fair there's still a lot of 1st timers viewing it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoofySmurf View Post
    I have never heard sounds from ads?
    I am 13531

"Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

Quote Originally Posted by Tacet View Post
    I share your sentiment, but I sit in an open plan office and don't want my screen to light up like an ambulance every time I open MyBB. My ImgLikeOpera add-on will probably also block adds with its default set to "load images from this site only".
    No, I'm actually looking at changing my ADSL carrier. Oh wait...

@OP - how often do you refresh myBB vs the other sites?
    GPU Charts: Updated 26/03/12
    Custom Chassis MKII coming soon™
    Domaincheap
    i5 2500k | 8GB DDR3 | 120GB SSD + 1.5TB | HD7970 | Sabertooth P67 | 750W | 23"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast