Thread: Home Wireless ADSL Network - 6 devices

Default Home Wireless ADSL Network - 6 devices

My wired adsl router broke 2 nights ago, and I desperately need to get my internet back. I was planning on buying a wireless router anyway, but now it's being forced on me today, so I need advice. The router will be wired to the main pc and won't be moved from there. I will then want to connect two laptops and two Nokia N8s wirelessly to it (in the adjacent room), and possibly a 3rd N8 and another laptop.

I've never been interested in the networking side of things (purely interested in programming/software only), and I've never had a need for it before, but over the last few months I have become increasingly frustrated. I thought I could avoid the wireless router for a while by doing the Windows 7 hotspot thing, but it only worked periodically. Also my N8's wifi has always been spotty (my only issue with an otherwise glorious phone). So now I need to do this. Today.

I was looking at the Belkin N150, but I'm not sure if it is suitable for me. Normally I would research stuff like this for weeks before making a decision, but like I said, I'm running out of time, so literally any advice at all would be great.

Well luckily there aren't many options to consider, as you'll see from the 30000 other threads on this exact topic.

For all-in-ones at the moment, there are pretty much three solid ones:

Cisco Linksys WAG120N
    D-Link DSL-2760U
    Netgear DGN2200M

In terms of everything, it's much of a muchness between them - usually the choice just boils down to brand preference. The latter two have 3G fail-over through their USB ports, which useful to some, but others prefer the Cisco name above all else.

Last edited by Dean; 30-03-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of Belkin or Netgear routers/modems.

Please just take note that the Belkom N150 DOES NOT include an ADSL modem, so you'll need a separate devices that can be your ADSL modem.

If you're looking for an all-in-one solution (ADSL modem + router), then have a look at the TP-Link W8960N: (R529 incl VAT) (R529 excl VAT)

The D-Link 2750U or 2760U are definitely good alternatives too.

When it comes to ADSL modems, I prefer D-Link & TP-Link above all other brands, especially when you need to do fancy things such as bridge/half-bridge mode, or if you have poor signal-to-noise ratios on your ADSL line.
    Cisco makes excellent enterprise class products, but their consumer products are overpriced and crap.
    Last edited by Pada; 30-03-2012 at 09:40 AM.

R345 ex vat,runs rock solid,good wireless range for its price,and they often give MyBB members discounts
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance (Server and Desktop support)

Sandton, Gauteng

D-Link +1

Fantastic interfaces, good quality and can't beat value for that price. I find D-Links tend to synch ADSL lines at higher bitrates with less packet loss than other brands.
    I-Rah los Pruzah ahrk Mul
    Agents are people too.
    Just because I'm technically bloody and imperialist doesn't prove anything!