Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Sharp fuel price rise to hit SA consumers

  1. #1

    Default Sharp fuel price rise to hit SA consumers

    Here

    The petrol price could rise to a record high in June, possibly climbing as much as 55c a litre, judging by this week's commodity boom, economists said on Wednesday.
    Ouch.
    Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander.
    Stoned people in houses shouldn't throw glasses
    Be part of the solution: www.antitrust.co.za

  2. #2
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    South Africa.
    Posts
    2,691

    Default

    I am still waiting for the price drop from the fact that the rand doubled in value about a year or so ago ..... when it was like R12 to the dollar ... that was the excuse for the high price of petrol then .... but when it dropped to R6 .... there was no drop in the petrol price ... in fact ... it went up ... and is still doing that ..... makes u wonder !!!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucifir
    I am still waiting for the price drop from the fact that the rand doubled in value about a year or so ago ..... when it was like R12 to the dollar ... that was the excuse for the high price of petrol then .... but when it dropped to R6 .... there was no drop in the petrol price ... in fact ... it went up ... and is still doing that ..... makes u wonder !!!
    Oil is $72 per barrel ... nothing to make you wonder.

  4. #4

    Talking

    So now I will have to push up the price of my short course "How to make petrol bombs"
    The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."Hoka Hey

  5. #5
    Banned kingmonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    ZA
    Posts
    4,279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Actually, crude is currently around $74.30 a barrel. Live Prices

  6. #6

    Default

    Don't forget that every time the petrol price goes up, there is an increase in the levy for the Road Accident Fund.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajak
    So now I will have to push up the price of my short course "How to make petrol bombs"
    Look into alternatives. How about How to cripple a nation with an Eskom bolt?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucifir
    I am still waiting for the price drop from the fact that the rand doubled in value about a year or so ago ..... when it was like R12 to the dollar ... that was the excuse for the high price of petrol then .... but when it dropped to R6 .... there was no drop in the petrol price ... in fact ... it went up ... and is still doing that ..... makes u wonder !!!
    the rand was R12 to the dollar a few years ago dude...last year was like 6.30 - 6.80 zone. There's something wrong with ur logic here. Just check the trend on the oil price to compare. Don't just look at the rand itself..that doesnt entirely determine the petrol price.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franna
    Don't forget that every time the petrol price goes up, there is an increase in the levy for the Road Accident Fund.
    I thought the RAF levy was adjusted by Trevor is his annual budget speech in cents/litre not percentage of petrol price? Or am I wrong?
    Last edited by derekc; 20-04-2006 at 11:33 AM.

  10. #10
    Super Grandmaster supersunbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Garsfontein, Pretoria
    Posts
    18,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derekc
    I thought the RAF levy was adjusted by Trevor is his annual budget speech in cents/litre not percentage of petrol price? Or am I wrong?
    If I remember correctly, everything is percentages...
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

  11. #11
    Super Grandmaster hj2k_x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    /\/\/\
    Posts
    27,798
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derekc
    the rand was R12 to the dollar a few years ago dude...last year was like 6.30 - 6.80 zone. There's something wrong with ur logic here. Just check the trend on the oil price to compare. Don't just look at the rand itself..that doesnt entirely determine the petrol price.
    But it should have a bigger effect on the price than it does!! Far too much of the cost of petrol is still levied out to the government. This is so not only in South Africa- in the UK around 70% of the petrol price is levy. Not that this fact makes it any more right that the prices stay so high...

  12. #12

    Default

    crude oil at $74 not good....................

    not only petrol,prices on everything might go up...............
    .... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . . ~~ >------------>> . . . ((●))Crime ,Rip-offs, Xo-8, CO2..⇒█ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▁ ˍ

  13. #13

    Default

    Price of petrol shoots up, and, strangely, Sasol's profits shoots up as well! Makes you wonder...
    Et tu, Brute?

    I came, I saw, I couldn't believe my eyes!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ettubrute
    Price of petrol shoots up, and, strangely, Sasol's profits shoots up as well! Makes you wonder...
    You do have a point, Sasol is the pride son of South Africa,build by the tax payer's money , protected by the tax payer's money (when crude oil price was cheap ,Sasol need to be subsidised to survive)

    now its time for SASOL to pay back some of the benefit it received for long

    dont you think so ?
    .... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . . ~~ >------------>> . . . ((●))Crime ,Rip-offs, Xo-8, CO2..⇒█ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▁ ˍ

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gooku
    You do have a point, Sasol is the pride son of South Africa,build by the tax payer's money , protected by the tax payer's money (when crude oil price was cheap ,Sasol need to be subsidised to survive)

    now its time for SASOL to pay back some of the benefit it received for long

    dont you think so ?
    Built by taxpayers money, yes, but this money (approximately R20bil in the 80's) was all repaid to government when Sasol was privatised.

    While the equalisation fund was in operation they also had to pay back money when the oil price was high.

    Sasol is now a completely public company, no more debt to taxpayers and no more equalisation fund, so your argument is a bit outdated.

    [edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by ettubrute
    Price of petrol shoots up, and, strangely, Sasol's profits shoots up as well! Makes you wonder...
    Not really. Sasol makes oil. Oil is an internationally traded commodity. Sasol sells its oil at the price the market is willing to pay (that's how the markets work). When the oil price is high, Sasol makes more profit; when it is low they make less profit; when it's below $14 (IIRC) they make a loss.
    Last edited by Rkootknir; 21-04-2006 at 06:58 AM.
    Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

    --Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •