Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: 1mbps uncapped through Telkom performance - Not too bad!

Default 1mbps uncapped through Telkom performance - Not too bad!

Apart from not being able to test packet loss for some reason, doesn't seem too bad ...

http://www.riverbed.com/

Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Not bad... just remember that Telkom (TI) does not shape or prioritise protocols. So if you are downloading (p2p) and browsing/surfing, then you will need to limit your DL speeds or your browsing will be a nightmare!
    ELO: Here is the news...

Oh thanks - haven't tried yet But will do!

Looks fine.

What made you go with them? Pricey and to be honest MWEB uncapped bandwidth quality is better, this is comparing to my shaped Telkom account (1Mbit uncapped vs 10Mbit shaped!).

Or have Telkom got some new uncapped specials?
    SouthBit Data Recovery - www.southbit.co.za
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Each account is allocated to only 1 x user.

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPot View Post
    Looks fine.

What made you go with them? Pricey and to be honest MWEB uncapped bandwidth quality is better, this is comparing to my shaped Telkom account (1Mbit uncapped vs 10Mbit shaped!).

Or have Telkom got some new uncapped specials?
    3 month free promotion iirc ...
    ELO: Here is the news...

It's the special ...

It free installation, modem and 3 months free uncapped 1mbps.

In total, this about between R750-R800pm (I think) and should I not use much data in the next 3 months, I'll up the line speed and add a high cap. I see with FNB Connect you get free Facebook and Youtube in the evening, which is pretty cool?

But I'll definitely compare in 3 months

Very good deal that and a decent router included too!!!

EDIT: You installed Teamviewer yet Dolby?
    Last edited by sand_man; 31-03-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger

I only got my 'new' account 2 hours back

I'll do it now now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
    It's the special ...

It free installation, modem and 3 months free uncapped 1mbps.

In total, this about between R750-R800pm (I think) and should I not use much data in the next 3 months, I'll up the line speed and add a high cap. I see with FNB Connect you get free Facebook and Youtube in the evening, which is pretty cool?

But I'll definitely compare in 3 months
    Sweet, no brainer then! But if, after the trial, you feel you want to stay uncapped - I'd recommend MWEB.

Let's see if Telkom Internet Uncapped have any loyal trolls.
    SouthBit Data Recovery - www.southbit.co.za
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Each account is allocated to only 1 x user.

... what I do wish is that these stupid Telkom SMSs welcoming me to the service would stop!

Phone has rung 4 times

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPot View Post
    Let's see if Telkom Internet Uncapped have any loyal trolls.
    Different strokes for different folks - I have to run capped accounts during the day for work purposes and only use uncapped at night & weekends for downloading with very little browsing. In my scenario, pure downloading, Telkom 1Mb uncapped (on a 6Mb line so I get full 1Mb speed) rips the A*** out of MWeb & IS 1Mb uncapped accounts for speed & stability (before you ask, I've used both).

I've been using (and paying for, no "freebies" for me) the account since Oct 2011 and haven't experienced any problems including the "throttling" mentioned in the occasional thread that appears on MyBB.

I wouldn't recommend it for the average user though as no shaping / prioritizing is performed by Telkom on these accounts, MWeb is probably best suited for the non-tinkerers.
    Last edited by MickZA; 31-03-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Last November I signed up for the 1Mbps 8Gb 3 month promo which took a long time coming but did what it said on the tin. Yet the need for speed irked so I called Telkom yesterday to order an upgrade to 4Mbps 20Gb. They quickly SMS'd a new userid/pw and when I rebooted my router last night I was getting 3.62Mbps down which is not great by intl standards but allows me to do much more than the original package.

Like everyone else here I'll review the offer regularly, but since Telkom get so much stick I thought I'd just say they were prompt and efficient on this occasion.