Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Explain this to me please???

Default Explain this to me please???

As I understand it, BB is run through each individual network, via a pipe dedicated to that service, going all the way back to RIM.

I switched off my radio on my BB, had wifi on at home and was on the network, now as you can imagine, the speed is beyond anything that Vodacom could ever offer me.
    I was able to browse at lighting speeds.

What I do not understand is how was I able to recive mail, BB messages and everyting else that the BIS service should be giving me.
    How can it be working on my WIFI internet at home? Does BIS have a link on the normal internet?
    Surely BIS or anything that uses that protocol should not be working?????

Now the next thing, if this does work on the normal internet, it just shows how degraded Vodacom has made this service either intentionally or unintentionally.
    I go with intentionally as if the pipe cannot handle the traffic, kick off the abusers or get a bigger pipe.

Really pissed off
    #FREEISRAEL

If you go overseas your BBM etc will work over your hotel or family's home wifi.

But if you keep you BIS going tbey charge you that awful OOB rate. so most people don't activate BIS when going overseas...

So I guess using it over your homenetwork is the samething.

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliGirl View Post
    If you go overseas your BBM etc will work over your hotel or family's home wifi.

But if you keep you BIS going tbey charge you that awful OOB rate. so most people don't activate BIS when going overseas...

So I guess using it over your homenetwork is the samething.
    So you're saying that BBM can work without BIS?
    i nrrf iy

Not its able to connect to the BIS servers through the internet.

Its really cool when you roam, you can connect to wifi and still BBM and get your mails. I don't think this will work through the vc apn though.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

But then how are these services able to work if not on bis?

I don't get it. So if you only use your BB at home and have a wifi connection, you don't need to activate BIS?
    i nrrf iy

No, if you dont have BIS or BES you won't be able to connect to the BB service.

You can opt to use your home internet connection instead of the crappy restricted ones Vodacom and MTN provide. That's all that is being experienced here, they still do a check against the SIM or number or something so service needs to be active.

Quote Originally Posted by phiber View Post
    No, if you dont have BIS or BES you won't be able to connect to the BB service.

You can opt to use your home internet connection instead of the crappy restricted ones Vodacom and MTN provide. That's all that is being experienced here, they still do a check against the SIM or number or something so service needs to be active.
    So even on the WIFI and having your radio inactive, you can use BB services even if you do not use BIS? Does not make sense.
    #FREEISRAEL

Quote Originally Posted by marine1 View Post
    So even on the WIFI and having your radio inactive, you can use BB services even if you do not use BIS? Does not make sense.
    You can only use BBservices with BIS but BIS is tied to your BB PIN which is why you don't necessarily need a radio connection. Even via wifi it detects that your BIS is enabled.
    i nrrf iy

You need to connect to BIS servers you are then just doing it through another internet connection. your paid bis allows your bbm pin to be active on the RIM servers. your connection type is changed from 3g to wifi. its not magic....

Blog Entries

BBM subscription is for the entire Blackberry service package. How you connect is up to you, this can be via WiFi/Normal 3G Internet APN(Extra charges from SP) or via the Free provided BIS APN service.

So imagine it like they add BIS for free but essentially you are paying for the BBM and other related services. Its a Package deal, you can not select only one section and not to pay for the other.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Ahh ok thanks guys never quite understood it so BIS service can run through any connection not just 3g or edge.
    I cannot believe how absolutely rubbish the BIS is through Vodacom, this just puts in perspective.
    #FREEISRAEL

I presume that if you are not connecting via your BB service provider, you will have to bear the cost of "free" traffic?

i.e if your wifi connection is, say, to Afrihost and your bb is from Vodacom, you would be using up your Afrihost bandwidth.
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post
    I presume that if you are not connecting via your BB service provider, you will have to bear the cost of "free" traffic?

i.e if your wifi connection is, say, to Afrihost and your bb is from Vodacom, you would be using up your Afrihost bandwidth.
    On MWEB uncapped so it does not really matter and the speeds are well worth any price I would have to pay. Just shows you how pathetic Vodacom really are. There is nothing wrong with BIS, there is however everything wrong with Vodacom
    #FREEISRAEL

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post

Yes, but who still uses capped accounts anyway?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast