You should join our great online community now
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

Thread: Is it the modem or the cable

Default Is it the modem or the cable

Hi,

I recently bought a 20m LAN cable to connect my computer to the ADSL Modem (I have a Telkom Billion 400G Modem).

When I connect the cable, a network connection is not established for some weird reason. When I push and hold the other end of the cable into the modem, a network connection is then established.

The built in Wi-Fi on the modem works when it feels like it wants to work; sometimes there is no Wi-Fi network comming from my modem.

So is it my modem that is at fault or is it the cable that is at fault?

Thanks.

try moving the boots back away from the connector, perhaps they are not making proper contact because of the boots, when i crimp cables now i just leave boots off completely.

also i dont fully understand, when you say you push and hold the other end of the cable into the modem do you mean you are connecting the modem to itself?

It sounds like there is an issue with the ethernet port contacts on the modem - do what D3x! says, try move the boot back a bit on the cable and make sure you get a proper connection. also try the other ethernet ports to see if they make better connection.

If the WiFi is also flaky it may be worthwhile replacing the modem.
    Q: Where will I go after I die?
    A: Onto a backup tape.
    source

and billion is carp anyway