Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please help - Getting 1.5mbps on a Telkom & MWEB Uncapped 4Mbps setup

Quote Originally Posted by m4dh4tt3r View Post
    hmmm, this is rather interesting, If you do a direct download from the net what kind of DL speed are you getting? 400 kb/s?
    Check this first

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by posmay View Post
    I've also used the mybb speedtest & am getting between 1.8 & 2.2 Mbps.

..... Or should I be happy with my speed?
    According to the MyBB speedtest averages your speed is pretty much par for the course:

http://speedtest.mybroadband.co.za/s...nection/adsl4m

honestly to me it sounds like it is a routing issue on the telkom network, it could possibly be that the dslam in your area is not reporting right values for the port you are on and thats why i suggest checking actual download speeds. Speedtest.net/mybb test might have an issue and display incorrect figures if the port is not working correctly.

I see you say it feels slower than what it should be, if you are not getting dl speeds of 400kb/s atleast on a 4mb line with all your ISP's then i would say log it with Telkom but honestly this is a very odd case and the chances of telkom fixing this is very slim, it will get fixed but could sometimes take months. hopefully its just the dslam reporting wrong values and hopefully you are actually getting full speed when doing real downloads. (this is just my opinion and not a fact, just another bit of hopefully helpful info)

when you check your connection on your router are you on Gdmt or ADSL2+. If you are on ADSL2+ i suggest you try another router
    If it walks like a duck and kwaks like a duck ..its a duck

Quote Originally Posted by FNfal View Post
    when you check your connection on your router are you on Gdmt or ADSL2+. If you are on ADSL2+ i suggest you try another router
    +1, another router would never be a bad thing anyway, if it is not the router atleast if yours ever gets knocked out by lightning you have a spare.

I managed to pull the line stats for my line (see above). Still getting pathetic speeds, less than 1Mbit for youtube streaming etc.

The port was reset and I have tried multiple accounts and ISPs. Any ideas what may be causing this?
    Last edited by posmay; 16-04-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Hi Guys

So I thought I'd thanks & update everybody on this thread.

Just got two calls from Telkom regarding my slow line. After testing it last week a friend of mine's router, cables & ISP account. We managed to limit it down to being an overcrowded exchange.

So Telkom first told me that I am not paying for 4Mbps & that I should be happy with anything above 1Mbps. ANd that I am probably too far away from the exchange to be getting my full 4.

Then the same guy called again and told me that it was in fact Telkom's fault. I am apparently real close to a mini-exchange, but the exchange is extremely overcrowded. Upgrading is on their "to-do" list, but they can't tell me when this will happen - 3, 6, 12, or 24 months.

So I guess I'll downgrade my MWEB account to save cash & then wait & when this upgrade will take place. My only worry is that there are apartment blocks going up all over the place & more & more people will want ADSL. Will Telkom be able to upgrade & provide faster infrastructure for the ever growing demand?

I guess I'll have to keep bugging them & just wait & see.

Thanks for all the advice & support.

Welcome to Telkom
    =====
    If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down. What if they screamed all the time for no reason?
    =====

So the plot thickens...

Just got another call from Telkom. They are in fact very friendly & helpful. It would just be great if they could actually solve the problem.

I've been told that the mini Dlink exchange is right across my street and that it's not crowded & that it can sync up to 11Mbps.
    The problem now is apparently that I have an uncapped account. I told them that I tested it with Afrihost capped account & still no improvement. The guy then told me that Telkom is faster than Afrihost.

So I asked him for a capped test account from Telkom, so I can test. He will get back to me.

But generally he says the tech guys (I thought this dude was a tech guy) won't waste their time with uncapped accounts.
    I then told him about my friend otherside of main road - that he gets a reliable 4Mbps connection on MWEB uncapped.

I'll wait and see what happens. I'm holding thumbs...

Quote Originally Posted by posmay View Post
    So the plot thickens...

Just got another call from Telkom. They are in fact very friendly & helpful. It would just be great if they could actually solve the problem.

I've been told that the mini Dlink exchange is right across my street and that it's not crowded & that it can sync up to 11Mbps.
    The problem now is apparently that I have an uncapped account. I told them that I tested it with Afrihost capped account & still no improvement. The guy then told me that Telkom is faster than Afrihost.

So I asked him for a capped test account from Telkom, so I can test. He will get back to me.

But generally he says the tech guys (I thought this dude was a tech guy) won't waste their time with uncapped accounts.
    I then told him about my friend otherside of main road - that he gets a reliable 4Mbps connection on MWEB uncapped.

I'll wait and see what happens. I'm holding thumbs...
    All bull****. Almost all uncapped accounts will give you reliable 4 Mbit speeds on normal surfing. Yeah, torrents, gaming etc are shaped (sometimes heavily in the day) but that generally has no impact on normal surfing.

If you were really connected to that 11Mbit exchange how come your line only syncs at 4Mbit?

A lot of "tech" guys use uncapped accounts because they provide the best value for money. Besides, the Afrihost account is uncapped, unshaped and unlimited speed so you should be getting your full line speed. But you are not...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123