Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Office 2010 licensing robbery?

Grandmaster

Default Microsoft Office 2010 licensing robbery?

The company that I work for uses office 2010. Lets say that we have 20 licenses for 20 computers. If we re-install or re-image those computers we have to buy 20 additional licenses because the licenses that we have for the product suddenly becomes invalid, even though we paid for the product and the 20 licenses.

This way of doing business seems unethical to me.

No you don't. Just don't have more than 20 copies installed at once.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    No you don't. Just don't have more than 20 copies installed at once.
    I'm not sure that i fully understand what you're trying to say. This product needs to be installed on 20 computers and we use one liscence key for these 20 computers.

The same as with windows activation, phone MS Activation service and tell them you reloaded the computers

If you have proof of licenses, you should be able to just install office on the computers any which way you want without fear of legal repercussions.

It is odd that it is usually easier to pirate programs onto a PC rather than go through all the ligitmate legal carp.
    I-Rah los Pruzah ahrk Mul
    IMA CHEMICAL ENGINEER WEO
    Agents are people too.
    Just because I'm technically bloody and imperialist doesn't prove anything!

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by byron_spy View Post
    The same as with windows activation, phone MS Activation service and tell them you reloaded the computers
    Will they? because the guy in charge of licenses at our work purchases 500 licences at a time and we are apparently moving on to our third batch of licenses.
    Last edited by theone; 04-04-2012 at 02:44 PM.

If:
    You are on a Volume licensing agreement and your VSA is active you have full right to remove the Office from the old machine and install it on a new one

In fact if your organization is that size you SHOULD be running a KMS server which prevents having to phone MS to activate even as the KMS server will activate your copies and reactivate every 180 days if memory serves

If you are buying 1500 OEM copies you deserve to be shot for being retarded

*Edit the only purchases that you'd have to do extra is if you run MS Windows 7 Pro on Volume licensing you *technically* have to have an edition of Windows 7 Home preloaded on the machine as Volume Windows 7 keys are meant to be upgrade keys
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Will they? because the guy in charge of licenses at our work purchases 500 liscences at a time and we are apparently moving on to our third batch of liscences.
    That is very odd. With bulk license purchases you usually don't even need to activate. It works on a trust system, but if you ever get visited by the BSA you better hope you only have it installed on X number of machines.
    My Site: http://blog.roguecode.co.za
    I make awesome Windows Phone apps for awesome companies.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    The company that I work for uses office 2010. Lets say that we have 20 licenses for 20 computers. If we re-install or re-image those computers we have to buy 20 additional licenses because the licenses that we have for the product suddenly becomes invalid, even though we paid for the product and the 20 licenses.

This way of doing business seems unethical to me.
    It really depends on what type of licencing you have and if it is using the same hardware again.

But as longs as he has the fully packaged product (disc,box and CD key), reinstalling on the same machines shouldn't be a problem.

If there is a volume licencing agreement with Microsoft, then it is even more unlikely that this is necessary.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by PsyWulf View Post
    If you are buying 1500 OEM copies you deserve to be shot for being retarded
    I fully agree because it's a waste of money, believe me I've been tried to talk to some people (the ones at my work place) because what they were doing didn't make sense to me. I just took it for granted that it was the way the system worked because the people responsible for making the decisions told me that this is how the system works. The first post was because of frustration on how this is affecting some work that needs to be completed.

I think that they've been doing the same things for our Windows 7 liscensing

Quote Originally Posted by PsyWulf View Post
    *Edit the only purchases that you'd have to do extra is if you run MS Windows 7 Pro on Volume licensing you *technically* have to have an edition of Windows 7 Home preloaded on the machine as Volume Windows 7 keys are meant to be upgrade keys
    We are running Office Profesional Plus 2010 and needs to be installed on new and old computers.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcat View Post
    It really depends on what type of licencing you have and if it is using the same hardware again.
    There is new hardware but mostly it's the same hardware that it will be used on again.

Give my licensing consultant a poke on kevin.george (at ) immix.co.za
    They'll be able to give you a far better rundown on how to clean this mess up,but everything I said is accurate

Your company is wasting a fart-ton on fees if your description is accurate
    www.domaincheap.co.za

Grandmaster

Thanks for the help Psywulf and the rest of you guys.

Always remember a license is valid for one computer, doesn't matter if this gets formatted or trashed then you can just install on another machine

1 License = 1 machine

Your are rightfully entitled to this as this is a standard license terms

Quote Originally Posted by byron_spy View Post
    Always remember a license is valid for one computer, doesn't matter if this gets formatted or trashed then you can just install on another machine

1 License = 1 machine

Your are rightfully entitled to this as this is a standard license terms
    Unless it's OEM which is linked to the original hardware
    www.domaincheap.co.za

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast