Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Thread: Standard Bank 50% off epic failure

Thumbs down Standard Bank 50% off epic failure

I was one of the few people looking forward to the Standard Bank real value banking offering. Savings of up to 50% in the hope that i could cut my bank fees. I just browse the pricing on the website and its basically the same as the other major banks unlimited electronic transactions R69p/m and Elite unlimited R99p/m nothing new and def nothing to run such aggressive advertising promotion. Capitec is the last bank on earth i would consider on friday when my Ned bank sms notification for Internet banking could not be delivered (cell c network) i had to go to Capitec to make the cash deposit. I was shocked they had 6 staff members for giving out loans , and 1 person , yes one person that handles enquiries , cash withdrawls and cash deposits i was in the q for a hour. The capacity for bank teller and enquiries is just 2 tellers. I am sorry i have more important things in my life to q for a hour. I love my Nedbank now more than ever , never long ques , friendly and efficient. Sorry Standard Bank if you actually did offer real value you would have gained a client.

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jpreid View Post
    I was one of the few people looking forward to the Standard Bank real value banking offering. Savings of up to 50% in the hope that i could cut my bank fees. I just browse the pricing on the website and its basically the same as the other major banks unlimited electronic transactions R69p/m and Elite unlimited R99p/m nothing new and def nothing to run such aggressive advertising promotion. Capitec is the last bank on earth i would consider on friday when my Ned bank sms notification for Internet banking could not be delivered (cell c network) i had to go to Capitec to make the cash deposit. I was shocked they had 6 staff members for giving out loans , and 1 person , yes one person that handles enquiries , cash withdrawls and cash deposits i was in the q for a hour. The capacity for bank teller and enquiries is just 2 tellers. I am sorry i have more important things in my life to q for a hour. I love my Nedbank now more than ever , never long ques , friendly and efficient. Sorry Standard Bank if you actually did offer real value you would have gained a client.
    They said the new pricing starts 2April. So not live yet.

You can only move to these packages from 2 April , but below is the price offering of real value banking
    http://realvalue.standardbank.co.za/

Grandmaster
    South of the Jacarandas and north of the Jukskei

I just had a quick look, and they are offering me a R169/month package, where I only pay R109/month with FNB. So where is the value?

Quote Originally Posted by zamicro View Post
    I just had a quick look, and they are offering me a R169/month package, where I only pay R109/month with FNB. So where is the value?
    Visit a branch, sit with a consultant and discuss your needs. You may only require an Achiever or Eplan account. Standard Bank also has 3 different pricing schemes- Pay as You Transact, Bundled and Rebate (keep a minumum balance and get a rebate of your fees). You may not easily understand it by reading the site, but the consultant will be in a better position to help

Quote Originally Posted by zamicro View Post
    I believe Elite will drop from around R169 to R99 per month

Capitec rocks. Is the best bank ever and nothing you going to say will change my mind. I pay less to draw 1000 rand at your bank's Atm then you are paying. You pay more in a single month to keep your account going then I pay in a year. A savings account at my bank gives me 2-5 x more interest then it gives at any other bank in SA (never mind Ned bank). Just as joke, go to your bank and ask them how much net profit will you end up with after a month if you deposit 100 rand in the beginning of the month. Yeah, I said joke because everyone will laugh at the question (that is everyone but you) And OMG why must you go to the bank to pay some account? If the internet is not working change the provider not the bank. WTF
    Last edited by intel8080; 01-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by intel8080 View Post
    Capitec rocks. Is the best bank ever and nothing you going to say will change my mind. I pay less to draw 1000 rand at your bank's Atm then you are paying. You pay more in a single month to keep your account going then I pay in a year. A savings account at my bank gives me 2-5 x more interest then it gives at any other bank in SA (never mind Ned bank). Just as joke, go to your bank and ask them how much net profit will you end up with after a month if you deposit 100 rand in the beginning of the month. Yeah, I said joke because everyone will laugh at the question (that is everyone but you) And OMG why must you go to the bank to pay some account? If the internet is not working change the provider not the bank. WTF
    LOL capitec can't even offer Home or VAF loans.

I was going to move from std to fnb in april (thought Id wait to hear what they were going to blow us away with on april 1st).
    Well considering I was paying R179pm for the elite plus option, I'm now going to be paying R99pm - saving myself R80pm!
    This is great value if you ask me, as the fnb gold cheque on the unlimited option will cost you R92pm (which is actually more if you consider that adding a gold credit card will set you back another R24.08pm, bringing the total to R116.08pm, where as std includes the gold cc fees in the R99pm).
    Now I know you will start going on and on about free data and ebucks and ipads, blah blah, but geez those things are a hassle in themselves...
    I will be sticking with std for now;- good value, 99.99% uptime included!
    Reliable ISP wanted
    Have money
    Will pay

Blog Entries

I don't like any single bank in SA.
    last year, I made a deposit to my investment for only R100k Nedbank charged me R600!!!!
    so I said to Nedbank if you didn't want my money I would go to somewhere, (finally they didn't listen) then now I only maintain any "necessary" transaction in SA and the rest offshore.

I love my HSBC so much. (I paid NOTHING. )
    Former freedom fighter, now hero of the Republic, Sir Juliass Mallama was always telling the public: "I am not a joke, I am a jerk."
    What is ANC? Answer

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    Only a fool will go to a bank for a home loan. Even in SA there are better options for home financing. Unfortunately most people don't know what is going on. The main issue with most banks in SA are the 'hidden costs'. Only Fnb comes anywhere near Capitec. Actually Ned bank and ABSA are the worst when it comes to taxes. I couldn't be bothered with more explanations. Sleep well.
    Last edited by intel8080; 01-04-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    Great point btw
    Financial Advisor with Old Mutual.
    PM a Brother for Financial Wealth, Funeral and Life Cover.

Only a fool will go to a bank for a home loan. Even in SA there are better options for home financing. Unfortunately most people don't know what is going on. The main issue with most banks in SA are the 'hidden costs'. Only Fnb comes anywhere near Capitec. Actually Ned bank and ABSA are the worst when it comes to taxes. I couldn't be bothered with more explanations. Sleep well.
    Do educate us then on how you purchase a home without going to a big bank or SA Homeloands?
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

In South Africa you have few options indeed. Nice to see that you know about SA homeloans. Please, don't confuse them with the 'big banks' as you put it. hint - A loan is the opposite of banking.
    @BrandonH Actually you can get home loans from Capitec even cheaper then from any of the 'big banks'. If you only did bother to Google you should have not posted crap. But I will never go to them for a home loan. Capitec is good at banking but not at lending. Tx God I own nobody a cent (all my assets in SA are paid for).

In South Africa you have few options indeed. Nice to see that you know about SA homeloans. Please, don't confuse them with the 'big banks' as you put it. hint - A loan is the opposite of banking.
    @BrandonH Actually you can get home loans from Capitec even cheaper then from any of the 'big banks'. If you only did bother to Google you should have not posted crap. But I will never go to them for a home loan. Capitec is good at banking but not at lending. Tx God I own nobody a cent (all my assets in SA are paid for).
    I can find nothing on Capitec's site about home loans. Please send me the link.

And btw, lending is banking. The only reason banks take deposits is so they can lend them out.

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast