Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast

Thread: Jan van Riebeeck

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSoldier View Post
    Wasn't he also a criminal though?
    I love history. He was in the east and was caught doing some trading on the side for himself .
    http://www.southafrica.to/history/Ja...anRiebeeck.htm

Thanks to him my great great (x10) grandfather came here to a missionary.
    I love being an African. Thanx Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by dualmeister View Post
    LOL @ this thread. If Jan van Riebeek had not landed here then someone else would have and the results would have been the same. Same as around the world.
    I agree with you. Someone else would have come and done the same thing. They could have been stuck with the Spanish. Those were such nice guys.
    “Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.”

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

6 April used to be known as Van Riebeeck's Day, and later as Founders' Day but the holiday was abolished by the ANC government after the democratic elections of 1994. His image no longer features on any official currency or stamps, but statues of him and his wife remain standing in Adderley Street, Cape Town.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_v...eeck#section_2

Could've should've, would've . Hind sight is always the better side.
    The ANC 's friends ( british )started the shyte again. Next time Zuumbie should thank her for that too.
    If the British did not start the war maybe everybody would have been fighting about Spanish as a second language.

In the end with trade to the east someone would've started a fort.
    could've would've should've.
    “Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodeamus View Post
    the bugger went back to Amsterdam though didn't like staying in SA!
    I think he was actually recalled by the V.O.C., as they did not approve of his running of the Cape back then. Pretty sure I read somewhere that he had no choice but to return to Holland.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joelus View Post
    And you were taught NP history. So what? You think your version is better or more truthful? Rubbish! History reflects the attitudes and opinions of whoever happens to be in charge and it's all bull****
    I do not agree. It just depends on which books you decide to read. Every thing was written down. Yes it was not written down from a koi perspective . That is not Jan's fault. He did however write when they were attacked, and when or if they killed people. And the number and how they were killed.

But not only jan wrote. So if you examin all these and the later books by The koi you can make a decent picture of what was here.

To be fair to jan he was not here long and he did not build the fort we know.

Sorry Mila but I just had to :P

i nrrf iy

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

People have always killed others of a different culture,get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Mean Bastid View Post
    RPM posting in TK broke myBB
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ... View Post
    I just called Korny1 a bud.

JvR wanted to go home, he was happy when called back, he was also happy when transfered to jakarta where he finally passed away.

And you were taught NP history. So what? You think your version is better or more truthful? Rubbish! History reflects the attitudes and opinions of whoever happens to be in charge and it's all bull****
    Just like the ANC and their tenderpreneurs? You remain a closet racist hey?

You wouldn't have any first world perks or any first world at all - not as we know it anyway. The first world was built on the backs of slaves - no landing in africa, no slaves, no first world. Either that or the slaves would have been European and you'd probably be a french peasant slaving away for the guy who is sipping wine...
    What and idiotic and brainwashed mental state you live in, slavery was rampant LONG before South Africa was rescued from the Zoo it was. Thus your theory fails big time and just shows the old ANC indoctrination stuck in your head.

Actually you should thank Jan van Riebeeck for the fancy lifestyle you enjoy today. You could have been stuck with the same conditions as most of Africa. It's coming but just not yet, the ANC still have a lot of stealing and self enrichment to achieve.
    Last edited by wily me; 07-04-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marine1 View Post
    Cant say I blame him lol

Winnie is a criminal, thats all.
    No, was she not an inventor? I am 100% sure she invented the necklace singlehandedly.

Quote Originally Posted by wily me View Post
    No, was she not an inventor? I am 100% sure she invented the necklace singlehandedly.
    Yep, an alternative method to snuff out stompies....
    ELO: Here is the news...

The image on our old bank notes was Bartholomeus Vermuyden, not JvR
    wow. didn't know that.
    i actually thought it was a sheep... oh wait, that's the new bank notes. so hard to tell them apart
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murraybiscuit View Post
    wow. didn't know that.
    i actually thought it was a sheep... oh wait, that's the new bank notes. so hard to tell them apart
    Beeep wrong. The new ones have Mandela's picture.

The current ones contain animals or more to the point, the big five

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by wily me View Post
    Just like the ANC and their tenderpreneurs? You remain a closet racist hey?
    how does saying that history reflects the attitudes and opinions of whoever happens to be in charge and it's all bull**** make me a closet racist exactly? Shame, must be hard being you, always seeing straw boogymen around you - I said nothing about race

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast