Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: To tell or not to tell

Default To tell or not to tell

So as some of you may remember I was up for a job at a large cellphone company. I got the job naturally. It was my first week this week.

The problem is my department is very male orientated. So there's lots of rugby talk and talking about chicks and what not.

I'm always just having to smile and wave myself through these conversations. You see the issue is its not like I'm not friends with these people I have been dealing with them for years as a sub contractor. It's kinda different when you work there though.

So I am contemplating letting the cat out the closet so to speak. I might give it till the end of the month or next Month. I prefer to let people get to know me first before telling them. Otherwise I just become the gay guy. Know what I mean?

Wat do you guys think?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
    Putting towers closer to you since 2010.

Blog Entries

I'm not gay last time I checked, and I don't talk about that sort of ****, just by the way.

Gay or not though, telling a bunch of 'okes' you don't like rugby... touchy subject I've found. At least you have an excuse.
    Behind every dark cloud lies the sun, waiting to boil you alive.
    *girds loins*

Nah I reckon you don't tell them outright, have a bit of fun and give very vague hints and make them squirm a little.

Had a colleague who did it this way, I figured it out but I didn't tell the other colleagues. It was quite funny.

Oh and when they talk about rugby, tell them you love it and forward them this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpXymuwxNs
    Last edited by efitol; 06-04-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    ...IMHO.

Run any Windows program as a service
    CPU|Mobo|RAM|HDD|Screen|KB|Mouse|Case|Am I cool nao? :3

Are you sure they dont already know and think nothing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by efitol View Post
    Nah I reckon you don't tell them outright, have a bit of fun and give very vague hints and make them squirm a little.

Had a colleague who did it this way, I figured it out but I didn't tell the other colleagues. It was quite funny.

Oh and when they talk about rugby, tell them you love it and forward them this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpXymuwxNs
    Omg that video is brilliant. Haha.

I was planning on dragging it out. Not sure though. It might be pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky_G View Post
    Are you sure they dont already know and think nothing about it?
    No but I get the vibe that they don't know.

Tell them you like to date fellow workers and need a date.

Fake it dude. Rugby? Can you eat it? Pfff, I don't care. I like blue. So if the team has blue on, I cheer for them. Like Chelsea and (formerly) the Blue Bulls.

I wouldn't tell them. I keep my personal life and my work life separate. I'll be friendly, I'll joke with them, I'll have a quick coffee break or go get lunch. But I won't hang out socially after work. I only start hanging out with people I've met at work AFTER I've finished my job there (and move on to someplace else). Then only do I start considering them my friends.

To me your sexuality shouldn't be a workplace thing, much like I keep my social life apart from the work place (other than going "duuuuude, I'm still hungover, talk in smaller words", but that's just an example of the "funny" and "joke" with them I've mentioned earlier)

If they start bragging about this chick they ****ed last night and asked you when last you got laid, tell them WHEN. Half-truths. If they ask "was the chicks ***** so so gooooood??" then you say "Well, I don't think it's appropriate work-banter, but yea, the guy was hung like a horse!"

It should get the message across (unless they're legally retarded), that you don't feel comfortable discussing these things at work and/or that you're gay. If they ask, confidently answer. End of story. But I won't bring it up on my own.

Why do you want to tell them? I don't tell co-workers I'm straight, why should it be different for you?

Not to offend anyone, but why do gay people always want to remind you that they're gay? WTF cares? And what does rugby have to do with it? I'm straight and I hate rugby.

Even your nick... Why do you want everyone to know? It's like being gay have to be everything you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger.Wilco View Post
    Why do you want to tell them? I don't tell co-workers I'm straight, why should it be different for you?

Not to offend anyone, but why do gay people always want to remind you that they're gay? WTF cares? And what does rugby have to do with it? I'm straight and I hate rugby.

Even your nick... Why do you want everyone to know? It's like being gay have to be everything you are?
    Exactly my thoughts.

Your sexual predelictions have nothing to do with other people, and it's very aggressive to wear it on your sleeve, so to speak. It's not a topic for discussion or "coming out" or "letting the cat out the bag". Real ordinary people are not much interested or concerned about this sort of things, and putting it in their face is narcissistic and self-obsessed. Just be a human being and stop making sex and "sexual identity" so central to who you are - it isn't.

Yeah we're tired of you gays rubbing it in our faces. And by "it" I don't mean what you'd like it to mean
    i nrrf iy

I'm in the same situation, rather not tell, unless they ask

Quote Originally Posted by zizo911 View Post
    I'm in the same situation, rather not tell, unless they ask
    With you isn't it obvious though? :P
    i nrrf iy

Blog Entries

I'm with Acid, Roger and Arthur on this one.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast