Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Diginet -full or half duplex?

Default Diginet -full or half duplex?

We're having some bandwidth issue and are now getting conflicting or unclear statements about our Diginet line. I was under the impression a 1 Mbps Diginet line would give us a fixed 1 Mbps up AND 1 Mbps down simultaneously. I.e. upload and download do not impact each other.

Now we are being told this is 1 Mbps half-duplex so increased download will reduce upload as the total of the two can only be 1 Mbps.

I can find no reference to Diginet being half-duplex on the Telkom site (or anywhere else).

Anybody in the forum that knows these things and who could proviude clarification so I know what it is before I speak to Telkom again?

Thanks!

Diginet is synchronous. 1Mbit/s will give you 1Mbit/s upload and 1Mbit/s download.

If someone is telling you this is not so, it could be they are rate-limiting the entire pipe to 1Mbit and including upload/download in the same limit. It could also be different limits apply to upload & download. It really depends. If its point to point on your side you should most definitely be getting the same speed in both directions.
    █► AllWorldIT ~ www.allworldit.com ~ International IT Solutions
    █► ISP / Hosting / Carrier Solutions , Wholesale ADSL & Hosting

Thanks,

Our line is from our port in a rural area to a termination port in Kuruman, direct point-to-point. So If I do understand you correctly if we pay for the 1 Mbps we should definitely be entitled to 1 Mbps up AND 1 Mbps down at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by nkawit View Post
    Diginet is synchronous. 1Mbit/s will give you 1Mbit/s upload and 1Mbit/s download.

If someone is telling you this is not so, it could be they are rate-limiting the entire pipe to 1Mbit and including upload/download in the same limit. It could also be different limits apply to upload & download. It really depends. If its point to point on your side you should most definitely be getting the same speed in both directions.

Yep. Are you seeing errors on the interfaces at all?

We did not check yet as we have a service provider that set it up for us. But we do see very ihgh latencies (over 1000 ms at times) and our video stream starts stuttering. We're using about 512 kbps up for the stream. The increased latency due to load on the line on the download side I suspect causes TCP windows issues which result in the stuttering.

Thanks for confirming my understanding. That will help when tackling this with Telkom and our provider.

High latencies would normally indicate congestion. I'd check what the interfaces are showing in terms of throughput at that time, if its cisco's there is alot of info one can see here that may indicate where the issue lies

This doesn't sound right, diginet is most definatly synchronous ie up and down at the same time, also you should be getting such high latencies unless there is congestion. Check the sync speeds and error rates.

Are you sure this link is point to point ? If your ISP is handling it then they might be routing it elsewhere first, and hence congestion there.
    . An awesome util : DropBox
    . Mind blowing bandwidth
    . 5gb Static IP for R115 month to month

It goes point-to-point to Kuruman. From there we've got 2 MWEB bonded ADSL lines to connect to the Internet. The latencies I see are from our side to Kuruman not beyond Kuruman. And a tracert to the MWEB router at Kuruman does not show any 'diversions' either.

Thanks for thinking along with us!

Do you have access to the routers on both ends of the circuit? High latency is usually due to congestion or errors.

Anyway you can call 0800 220 302/3 to have the circuit tested. If you have access to the routers you can also ask them to give you local & remote loops you can test with from the routers.

Oh, it's full-duplex. The circuit uses one Tx pair & one Rx pair.
    Last edited by ponder; 09-04-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar

Sorry to be digging up these old threads but how much does diginet cost approximately pm? Say for a 1Mbit service?

Also how much round about are you looking at for installation (rough estimate)?
    Praise Zeus!

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by DrJohnZoidberg View Post
    Sorry to be digging up these old threads but how much does diginet cost approximately pm? Say for a 1Mbit service?

Last time I checked it was around R6k/mb if I remember correctly, this was last year sometime

Edit: Sorry make that about R20k/m. I got a quote for a 2Mb service back then it was R45k/m
    Last edited by grim; 23-11-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJohnZoidberg View Post

We were paying Telkom around R17000 for 2mbit diginet with 1:1 on local and 4:1 on international. We have moved this to Telkom MetroEthernet fibre now and are paying around R15000 for 4mbit local at 1:1 and 1mbit international at 1:1. We had existing MetroLAN fibre so there were no additional fibre costs.