Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 303

Thread: Apple iMac versus PC the results may surprise you

  1. #136
    Super Grandmaster kingrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    20,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [)roi(] View Post
    If you still want to own the media then, for example: iTunes is one, but a simple google search will help you find many more (pick your poison).

    In my case since I switched to live streaming Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc. I no long feel the need to own the content; and have more than my fill of movies, tv shows and sport if I so desire.

    Of course you need fixed price bandwidth and unlimited data (in my case it's justified for my work and hence the private use is a bonus) -- of course I also don't have DSTV or TOPTV.

    Btw there are more than one articles on this site and the internet explaining how to do this.
    You said we can do online purchases in South Africa and I simply asked for the link, not an explanation of how Apple users commit fraud with bogus American addresses.

    Can I have the link now?

  2. #137
    Grandmaster [)roi(]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    3,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingrob View Post
    You said we can do online purchases in South Africa and I simply asked for the link, not an explanation of how Apple users commit fraud with bogus American addresses.

    Can I have the link now?
    Hahaha, you know very well we don't have those options; the South African media monopolies are quite happy to lock down all content distribution in our market i.e. Amazon, iTunes and others will for the foreseeable future continue to be locked out of our markets.

    Hope you happy they have you locked into old tech, whilst they enjoy inappropriate margins.

    Call me an anarchist if you like because I refuse to support monopoly media companies. You need a Gov with a brain and backbone to change this stalemate; clearly they have bigger things on their minds (e.g. Corruption)

    Btw although I am not using the local defined channels they (Ster Kinekor, Sony, Nu Metro, Multichoice, ...) defined, I do however pay for all the content I get from iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, etc...

    Side note: all this is of course not Mac only, all of it works well with Windows and some also with Linux.
    Last edited by [)roi(]; 15-04-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    The best path to Ockham's razor is not with over zealous use of his broom

  3. #138

    Default

    Let me translate your post.

    Quote Originally Posted by [)roi(] View Post
    "methinks he doth protest too much" -- over arguing a point only shows one thing, that you might well be the very thing you accuse everyone of.
    "I like using big words and flowery language, especially since it almost masks the fact that I have no clue how to counter your argument."

    Your aggressive approach is revealing your lack of knowledge; the win should never be worth more than sanctity of your statements
    "I can't counter your argument, so I'll just try make myself look smart and imply that you're an idiot."

    Btw I've always said if Windows floats your boat then stick with it, we prefer something different and that is our decision.
    Good approach. Then stop trying to portray us as ignorant grunts that haven't yet chosen god steve as our own personal saviour. We've made our decision on rational grounds and are willing to listen to why you chose an overpriced toy over a real computer, but don't expect any sympathy or even polite platitudes.

    Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Fair enough then.

    However judging by the warranty voided if removed sticker on the back of my desktop Acer pc I don't think this is an Apple phenomena, is it? Heck, on those, and I suspect many prebuilt PCs, you cannot even upgrade your RAM without voiding the warranty.
    Warranty void stickers are common to most pre built PCs. I build my own, which allows me to swap out components at my leisure. Look at my earlier post to see how useful this is. I'm not saying that I choose products based on their warranties, but I'll definitely think twice before purchasing a product that will have no warranty at all one day after buying it. Even the CPA warranty might be a fight to enforce.
    Last edited by Drunkard #1; 15-04-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterCH View Post
    Windows is ok in general, and sometimes it's necessary

  4. #139
    Grandmaster [)roi(]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    3,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkard #1 View Post
    Let me translate your post.

    "I like using big words and flowery language, especially since it almost masks the fact that I have no clue how to counter your argument."

    "I can't counter your argument, so I'll just try make myself look smart and imply that you're an idiot."
    You missed it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkard #1 View Post
    Good approach. Then stop trying to portray us as ignorant grunts that haven't yet chosen god steve as our own personal saviour. We've made our decision on rational grounds and are willing to listen to why you chose an overpriced toy over a real computer, but don't expect any sympathy or even polite platitudes.
    Never said anything like it; Feel free to quote me on Windows negativity. Fyi I use it regularly, but just in a different way to you (VM).

    Btw I agree re allowing choice, see additional comments below referenced as pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkard #1 View Post
    Warranty void stickers are common to most pre built PCs. I build my own, which allows me to swap out components at my leisure. Look at my earlier post to see how useful this is. I'm not saying that I choose products based on their warranties, but I'll definitely think twice before purchasing a product that will have no warranty at all one day after buying it. Even the CPA warranty might be a fight to enforce.
    Bwana has already covered this in sufficient detail;

    SA "Apple Service"
    Most of the crap service we experience in SA is down to Core (Apple don't trade locally) -- and before you say it:
    Of course Core was appointed by Apple as their distributor.

    Apple however have no control over the size of our market and its business viability (consider articles on SA in BRICS as example).

    /my view: Apple pay Core money to service warranties (fact), and in my opinion; Core know that if they can perform the service at a lesser price they can pocket the difference.

    Real Apple Service
    For those of us that have had the fortune to experience Apple's service at one of their stores (none available in SA) can attest to receiving excellent service, even factors like "stickers" (I don't remember seeing any during my changes) are no hindrance -- my MBP btw has custom RAM and custom OCZ SSD.

    The Apple Genius (service staff) in Hong Kong gladly resolved a boot issue I had during a recent trip to Vietnam, no questions asked and no cost (and yes they did open it to confirm all cables were attached).

    Oh and btw I only have the standard 1 year warranty, and it's for reasons like this I believe Apple ranks so high with customer satisfaction, higher than any other company as far as I know.

    Pointless
    You should agree these arguments are pointless and serve only to fill page after page, with pointless rants about who is better.

    IMO everyone should just stick with their preference.

    Except should someone be curious, we should afford them the opportunity to be answered by someone in the know, without statements like "why pay for that over priced crap...?" -- basically allow them the freedom to make their own decision without vilification (it's their money after all).
    Last edited by [)roi(]; 15-04-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    The best path to Ockham's razor is not with over zealous use of his broom

  5. #140
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    8,024
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Another winner from Apple for the South Africans:
    In SA you can only create an Apple account by going to a physical Apple Store - unless you register with like a Nigerian physical address.

    Secondly, when you want to download apps or media from the iStore (or whatever you call it), you have very limited amount of applications to select from if you registered your SA address.

    This is like Vodacom that is offering free Gmail SMS's in Mozambique, but not in South Africa for no good reason.

  6. #141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [)roi(] View Post
    You missed it!
    Yeah well some of us chose to get real degrees rather than BA in English. And I see that you still haven't commented on the trickery used in your link.

    Never said anything like it; Feel free to quote me on Windows negativity. Fyi I use it regularly, but just in a different way to you (VM).
    Did I say you expressed "Windows negativity"? No. Don't misquote me. I said that you imply that 90% of computer users are ignorant grunts who haven't yet been saved. We aren't. We know what we want and we buy a PC to suit. I'd be just as rude to someone telling me that a R 250 000 Louis Vuitton trunk functions better than a R 5 000 Samsonite "for reasons that I can't understand until I try one." I understand perfectly well; you paid too much and can't justify that any way other than to say "you're ignorant and don't understand."

    Btw I agree re allowing choice, see additional comments below referenced as pointless.
    Bwana has already covered this in sufficient detail;

    SA "Apple Service"
    Most of the crap service we experience in SA is down to Core (Apple don't trade locally) -- and before you say it:
    Of course Core was appointed by Apple as their distributor.

    Apple however have no control over the size of our market and its business viability (consider articles on SA in BRICS as example).

    /my view: Apple pay Core money to service warranties (fact), and in my opinion; Core know that if they can perform the service at a lesser price they can pocket the difference.

    Real Apple Service
    For those of us that have had the fortune to experience Apple's service at one of their stores (none available in SA) can attest to receiving excellent service, even factors like "stickers" (I don't remember seeing any during my changes) are no hindrance -- my MBP btw has custom RAM and custom OCZ SSD.

    The Apple Genius (service staff) in Hong Kong gladly resolved a boot issue I had during a recent trip to Vietnam, no questions asked and no cost (and yes they did open it to confirm all cables were attached).

    Oh and btw I only have the standard 1 year warranty, and it's for reasons like this I believe Apple ranks so high with customer satisfaction, higher than any other company as far as I know.
    Ah, this old chestnut. So great service means flying halfway round the world to get your failed crap repaired? I don't particularly care why.

    I've got somewhat a different definition of good service.

    Pointless
    You should agree these arguments are pointless and serve only to fill page after page, with pointless rants about who is better.

    IMO everyone should just stick with their preference.

    Except should someone be curious, we should afford them the opportunity to be answered by someone in the know, without statements like "why pay for that over priced crap...?" -- basically allow them the freedom to make their own decision without vilification (it's their money after all).
    Oh I agree there. Apple rants are pointless, but no curious bystanders were harmed in this thread. Anyone wanting to know about toy computers can ask their questions in the safe playground two forums down. This is the PC Hardware and Gadgets forum - apple evangelists and other sissies may find it too rough. If you want your ego stroked by fellow fanbois, you've come to the wrong place. Here we tell it like it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterCH View Post
    Windows is ok in general, and sometimes it's necessary

  7. #142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    Another winner from Apple for the South Africans:
    In SA you can only create an Apple account by going to a physical Apple Store - unless you register with like a Nigerian physical address.
    Say what? Since there are no physical Apple Stores in South Africa that would it very difficult for all those iPhone/iPad totting South Africans to register . . . in reality though it's a simple online process, the same process other countries enjoy.

    Of course it is true that the SA iTS has been hobbled - by whom and for what reason is up for debate - but there is an easy workaround and that is changing the country from SA to Kenya.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

  8. #143
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    8,024
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Thanks bwana.

    When I tried to create an Apple account for my colleague's iPad a few months ago, I couldn't and I ended up locking my credit card.
    So in reality it should be a simple online process, but it wasn't.

    Next time I'm also going to register my account with a Lagos, Kenya address - like a friend of mine did for his dad

  9. #144
    Grandmaster [)roi(]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    3,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkard #1 View Post
    Yeah well some of us chose to get real degrees rather than BA in English. And I see that you still haven't commented on the trickery used in your link.
    I'm flabbergasted to say the least; btw you're failing miserably at trying to put people into one of your boxes; sorry but no BA.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkard #1 View Post
    Did I say you expressed "Windows negativity"? No. Don't misquote me. I said that you imply that 90% of computer users are ignorant grunts who haven't yet been saved. We aren't. We know what we want and we buy a PC to suit. I'd be just as rude to someone telling me that a R 250 000 Louis Vuitton trunk functions better than a R 5 000 Samsonite "for reasons that I can't understand until I try one." I understand perfectly well; you paid too much and can't justify that any way other than to say "you're ignorant and don't understand."
    Firstly calm down (ask yourself how early do you want this heart attack?)

    Btw Is this something I am subtlety or directly phrasing? Could you show me a few examples where I either used or implied the term "ignorant grunts"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkard #1 View Post
    Ah, this old chestnut. So great service means flying halfway round the world to get your failed crap repaired? I don't particularly care why.

    I've got somewhat a different definition of good service
    ... and in a few more sentences you lose the crux.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkard #1 View Post
    Oh I agree there. Apple rants are pointless, but no curious bystanders were harmed in this thread. Anyone wanting to know about toy computers can ask their questions in the safe playground two forums down. This is the PC Hardware and Gadgets forum - apple evangelists and other sissies may find it too rough. If you want your ego stroked by fellow fanbois, you've come to the wrong place. Here we tell it like it is.
    So, do you feel better now?
    Last edited by [)roi(]; 16-04-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    The best path to Ockham's razor is not with over zealous use of his broom

  10. #145
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Previously this post ->
    Posts
    30,191

    Default

    You could build a Mk1 Golf to go faster than a Ferrari for less money than to buy a Ferrari but at the end of the day, people would still prefer the Ferrari.
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

  11. #146
    Grandmaster [)roi(]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    3,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fudzy View Post
    You could build a Mk1 Golf to go faster than a Ferrari for less money than to buy a Ferrari but at the end of the day, people would still prefer the Ferrari.
    Thank you, short and succinctly to a point; it's the reason we see more so-called elaborate cars on the road; all of course completely impractical; but I don't think that matters.
    The best path to Ockham's razor is not with over zealous use of his broom

  12. #147
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,181
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fudzy View Post
    You could build a Mk1 Golf to go faster than a Ferrari for less money than to buy a Ferrari but at the end of the day, people would still prefer the Ferrari.
    But Fudzy... unlike a Ferrari... Apple does not make the engine... thus you would sill have a Ferrari with the same engine as the Mk1 Golf... and now who would want that ?

    Anyhow... anyone else here read Drunkard #1's comments "with a Billy Connolly accent" ?

  13. #148
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Previously this post ->
    Posts
    30,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kilobits View Post
    But Fudzy... unlike a Ferrari... Apple does not make the engine... thus you would sill have a Ferrari with the same engine as the Mk1 Golf... and now who would want that ?

    Anyhow... anyone else here read Drunkard #1's comments "with a Billy Connolly accent" ?
    Fair point though my analogy was aimed at the reason why the one is more popular than the other in the consumer market. You can't compare what is essentially 'aftermarket' with an off-the-shelf product.
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

  14. #149

    Default

    They are all having a laugh.
    Or am i being stupid?

  15. #150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fudzy View Post
    You could build a Mk1 Golf to go faster than a Ferrari for less money than to buy a Ferrari but at the end of the day, people would still prefer the Ferrari.
    In your analogy, which is the Ferrari ?

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •