Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple iMac versus PC the results may surprise you

"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    From the user manual "Your Mac mini came with at least 2 gigabytes (GB) of memory on a pair of 1 GB memory modules. You can replace these with a pair of 2 GB or 4 GB memory modules, for a maximum of 8 GB of memory." Pages 41-46 cover the procedure in depth.
    You'll notice that I said "and a SSD". I'm not willing to use a HTPC without one. I guess I should just pay apple R 6000 to fit one for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterCH View Post
    Windows is ok in general, and sometimes it's necessary

No, because Apple clearly states:

I think you need to find a new drum, the one you're currently pounding on is broken.
    Hmm, but that just confirms his claim:

WARNING: Do not attempt to open your Mac mini, except to install memory. If your Mac mini needs service, see “Learning More, Service, and Support” on page 62 for information about how to contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple for service. Your Mac mini doesn’t have any user-serviceable parts, except the memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkard #1 View Post
    It's easy to say that, but have you looked at their range? It's all crap. I also considered a mac mini as a HTPC, once, then I saw what it was made of: under powered, over priced, backwards laptop parts. It was better for me to import a silent PSU (PicoPSU = ) for my PC than to buy a mac mini (R 6000?) and then void the warranty by adding a usable amount of RAM and a SSD (R 2500?). Unless you catch a 1 in a million shot, and your needs happen to coincide with god's steve's whim, you can look at macs, but you won't find something appropriate.
    150% true.

If I want to go with OSX, I would rather build a Hackintosh than pay double for the same computer parts. Same goes for the software.

I've been running Windows 7 for more than two years now, rock solid, never had a blue screen - and it supports blu-ray disc & all pc games. What more can one want?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudimental View Post
    Hmm, but that just confirms his claim:
    Fair enough then.

However judging by the warranty voided if removed sticker on the back of my desktop Acer pc I don't think this is an Apple phenomena, is it? Heck, on those, and I suspect many prebuilt PCs, you cannot even upgrade your RAM without voiding the warranty.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Fair enough then.

However judging by the warranty voided if removed sticker on the back of my desktop Acer pc I don't think this is an Apple phenomena, is it? Heck, on those, and I suspect many prebuilt PCs, you cannot even upgrade your RAM without voiding the warranty.
    Yeah, and I doubt that in reality it would stop it from being repaired. Technical arguments about these things are just fun.

What I would definitely do, though, is take out the SSD and put back the original or other HDD before sending it in. If you get given a replacement instead of having your unit repaired, well I doubt you'll ever see that SSD again.

Fair enough then.

Impossible. The apple fanboi admitted defeat.

/goes outside to look for flying cows

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkard #1 View Post
    Lies, damned lies and statistics... as you own article points out: "appears more dramatic than it really is". So just sleight of hand really.

Assuming that mac products sit at the bottom of the PC sales charts is trivial , not ignorant.

And the reason they sit there is because macs are shiny overpriced crap, not because 90% of the PC using population are idiots. If it wasn't for the halo effect, macs would be discontinued due to poor sales.

It's easy to say that, but have you looked at their range? It's all crap. I also considered a mac mini as a HTPC, once, then I saw what it was made of: under powered, over priced, backwards laptop parts. It was better for me to import a silent PSU (PicoPSU = ) for my PC than to buy a mac mini (R 6000?) and then void the warranty by adding a usable amount of RAM and a SSD (R 2500?). Unless you catch a 1 in a million shot, and your needs happen to coincide with god's steve's whim, you can look at macs, but you won't find something appropriate.
    "methinks he doth protest too much" -- over arguing a point only shows one thing, that you might well be the very thing you accuse everyone of.

Your aggressive approach is revealing your lack of knowledge; the win should never be worth more than sanctity of your statements

Btw I've always said if Windows floats your boat then stick with it, we prefer something different and that is our decision.
    Last edited by [)roi(]; 15-04-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    The best path to Ockham's razor is not with over zealous use of his broom

Quote Originally Posted by kingrob View Post
    150% true.

If I want to go with OSX, I would rather build a Hackintosh than pay double for the same computer parts. Same goes for the software.

I've been running Windows 7 for more than two years now, rock solid, never had a blue screen - and it supports blu-ray disc & all pc games. What more can one want?
    I've also been running Windows 7 for the same period; the difference is that is lives in a VM on my Mac. Stable, reliable and works for me -- and when I feel the need to play a game I revert either XBOX or iPad.

You don't have to look far to see that purchasing Blu-ray and disk based games is a dying activity (replaced by online purchases).

FYI it has been more than 3 years since I bought my last disk (game disk or music CD, never quite saw the value in blu-ray, especially the idea that we need to repurchase things already owned on DVD -- 10 months ago I gave all my DVDs + CDs and players / speakers to a charity. I simply tired of dusting off something I never use) -- oh and let's not forget the DVD on my Macs, never use those either.
    Last edited by [)roi(]; 15-04-2012 at 01:02 PM.

I'm still waiting for the ZA release of the Humancentipad...

Connecting people like never before!
    Or am i being stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by macboer View Post
    I'm still waiting for the ZA release of the Humancentipad...

Connecting people like never before!
    LOL... Did you just accept those iTunes terms and conditions again?

Quote Originally Posted by [)roi(] View Post
    You don't have to look far to see that purchasing Blu-ray and disk based games is a dying activity (replaced by online purchases).
    I was not aware we can buy online HD/3D movies in South Africa! Please post the link immediately!

Also, is the 8GB download from this online purchase place free?

Quote Originally Posted by kingrob View Post
    I was not aware we can buy online HD/3D movies in South Africa! Please post the link immediately!

Also, is the 8GB download from this online purchase place free?
    If you still want to own the media then, for example: iTunes is one, but a simple google search will help you find many more (pick your poison).

In my case since I switched to live streaming Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc. I no long feel the need to own the content; and have more than my fill of movies, tv shows and sport if I so desire.

Of course you need fixed price bandwidth and unlimited data (in my case it's justified for my work and hence the private use is a bonus) -- of course I also don't have DSTV or TOPTV.

Btw there are more than one articles on this site and the internet explaining how to do this.
    Last edited by [)roi(]; 15-04-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast