Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: wireless - is it worth it?

Blog Entries

Default wireless - is it worth it?

Im wondering if wireless is really worth it? it seems the tech is not that mature and a bit flaky?

im currently running a ADSL router with built-in wireless G, connected to a gigabit switch, and cables then go from that switch to all over the house.

I would like to upgrage to N, coz the signal is so bad at the moment. What would be the rest route to upgrade?

disable the wireless on the ADSL router and buy a AP? which one to get though?

I want something decent that isnt gonna be a cheap piece of trash lol

help please
    sigh

Wireless N has been a big jump from 802.1g.
    Would be even better to get a dual band Router/ AP.
    This will communicate on the 2.4 gHz range and the 5Ghz range simultaneously.
    The 5 gHz range is less crowded and has not as much interference from microwaves etc however shorter range.
    Have a look at the TP-link range I have used them and they are pretty good try to get there upper class devices though.
    Also D-link is not bad.
    microtik is enterprsise grade or at least SMB grade.
    Depends on what you are willing to spend.
    To be honest would probably be better to turn your existing router into a straight ADSL2+ modem and get a wireless router with switch ports as a higher end device will have more functionality in terms of QOS and VPN possibilities.
    Have a look at linksys they are the home branch of cisco ( expensive) but very reliable( maybe dual band e2500(+-R1100).
    Again all depends on what you want..

I had so many problems with different wireless routers/AP's, in the end this solved all my problems: http://www.scoopdistribution.co.za/p...oducts_id=1281

I went through 9 different AP's in the past year, Netgear, Dlink, Planet, all had the same problems - very bad throughput, could not even watch a movie over wireless sitting 5 meters away from the AP. Was very upset about the Dlink one, was a DIR 655 and cost over R1000 and what a piece of crap!
    Been using the Mikrotik one for the past 2 months, no problems with the device, can also watch HD movies over wireless...

Got a TP-Link at home and at work, never had any problems. The N is pretty quick too!
    In South Africa even the information superhighway has potholes in it.

As far as i know changing your network to N standard will not increase signal strength, it will only make your transfers faster. Im assuming this is a home nextwork, so moving to the 5gHz frequency wont be practical, 5gHz has NO penetration power (through walls etc..).

Best bet for trying to increase signal strength would be to get an larger antennal with higher gains.

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Wireless N has been a big jump from 802.1g.
    Would be even better to get a dual band Router/ AP.
    This will communicate on the 2.4 gHz range and the 5Ghz range simultaneously.
    Only simultaneous dual-band routers will do that. Many sold as dual-band actually only use one frequency at a time, which you have to select. Marketing gimmicks .

Don't know if the actual signal strength is higher, but 2.4GHz N definitely has a longer range than G. 5GHz N range is pretty short but it's faster, less susceptible to interference. Proper, simultaneous dual-band N routers are a bit expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I'm using a Netgear WNDR3700v2, it's rock solid and it flies. Coupled with a good, cheap ADSL modem like the D-link 2500U, I've never had any problems with connectivity.

Thing is, it depends on your needs. Most people who try to run a completely wireless network never really use it to copy lots of files often, do backups to a server etc. It works perfectly fine for video streaming etc, but try copying a few hundred GB over even a 5GHz N network. For these things there's just no substitute for a good old CAT6 cable linked to a gigabit port on a router. That's why I'm still amazed when people recommend routers without gigabit support (like the Linksys e2500) in the year 2012. They're cheaper sure, but you get what you pay for. 100Mbit is frankly a snail's pace.

Although if you won't be transferring a lot of stuff, maybe you could consider it... Just remember that your wireless speeds will also then be limited to 100Mbps, if you transfer between a computer on the switch, and the wireless. I'd really rather spend a bit more, get a proper dual-band, gigabit wireless router, and use your existing router only as an ADSL modem.
    ...if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

-Douglas Adams

FYI
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n

Bond007 might be a plan to read.
    802.11g indoor = 30 m
    802.11n indoor = 70 m

Also MIMO helps with interference and error correction reducing "flakyness"
    Any antenna above 7Dbi(omni) generally needs to be wall mounted and is also increased cost(for a home install.....).
    Maybe look at devices that have above 3Dbi Antenna, it will say in the tech description.
    Still recommend the linksys range dual band, can't go wrong.
    5Ghz has reduced range but is "cleaner" cool just to have the option and it doesn't get effected when someone is using the microwave.

with a good quality router and a good wireless cards you will have no problems

Gigabit network for home is way over rated!
    Most hard drives can transfer 80MB/s sustained, so you not even maxing out the 100MB network. How is a GB network going to make your hard drives faster???

I still think 2.4 is much better for a home. Is has much more power to go through walls.
    Yes, 5 is faster, but it does have problems with going through obstructions.

Then you need to make sure you get the correct antenna for your application and whrer the AP is mounted.
    Also remember to do a site survey once you install the AP so you can see what freq's is less congested in your area.
    Then experiment with diffrent freq's. You will find some that will be faster than others. It all depends on the specific equpment used, location and other noise in the area.

Have fun
    "If it ain't broke, do not fix it!"

Unlimited Free Broadband www.ctwug.za.net

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Copper still have the highest throughput rate. Best if you want to copy/transfer gigabytes of files from A to B.

But wireless is nice if you've got a fondleslab, and just want to browse the 'net, send a few emails etc without any heavy use.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by wetkit View Post
    Gigabit network for home is way over rated!
    Most hard drives can transfer 80MB/s sustained, so you not even maxing out the 100MB network. How is a GB network going to make your hard drives faster???

Have fun

smalll little issue (b)its and (B)ytes....

100Mbit network can only reach roughly 12MB/s - and is thus left in the history of 10 years ago and should stay there preferably (and actually with HD 1080p becoming the norm - anything below 1000mbit/s (which includes most wireless technologies available today) is just laughable

gigabit(1000mbps) is in the region of 120MB/seconds - thereby allowing a HDD to reach almost max speed