Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: MTN cuts off more numbers

Hybrid View

Default MTN cuts off more numbers

MTN cuts off more numbers

MTN has cut off more numbers from its network, despite unhappiness from industry players. more

MTN is acting like a dictator. diciding what you should use and not even when it comes to your own money, you cannot get a refund for anything on prepaid. disgusting service.

Let competition commission sort it out.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhand View Post
    Let competition commission sort it out.
    They seem to be a bit like ICASA - try phone them.

Surely this is unethical? Users should just start boycotting MTN, not exactly a great network anyway

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

MTN users should start defecting at once.

Service providers have previously spoken out against MTN’s decision to block these numbers, and it seems likely that either individual or collective action will follow soon.
    High time the SA consumer pulls its finger out of its a$$ and move over to other alternatives.

But you and me know that this won't happen as the SA consumer is too lazy to do anything, and want somebody else to sort out this issue.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Grandmaster

Ok so to summarise: No-one should use Vodacom cause they are stupidly expensive. No-one should use MTN cause they are full of carp. Hmm who's left, only Cell C then I guess...
    >>>>>> <<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by MFour View Post
    Ok so to summarise: No-one should use Vodacom cause they are stupidly expensive. No-one should use MTN cause they are full of carp. Hmm who's left, only Cell C then I guess...
    MTN isn't exactly cheap either, in fact I'd say that they're even more expensive since they did away with the Procall contracts. The only reason that I'm with them is because of their coverage, and let's face it, a cellphone with decent network coverage is a useless.
    ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

is mtn loosing money over this? not potential earing, they not paying anything extra?
    Telkom: "Resistance is futile, your money is ours!"

I will be voting against MTN with my feet at my next upgrade. I am tired of poor internet services wherever I go. Now I have poor reception in my area for voice calls. Complaining has made no difference. Now this. Next upgrade bye-bye MTN

Quote Originally Posted by brentmin View Post
    I will be voting against MTN with my feet at my next upgrade. I am tired of poor internet services wherever I go. Now I have poor reception in my area for voice calls. Complaining has made no difference. Now this. Next upgrade bye-bye MTN
    amen to that

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    MTN users should start defecting at once.

High time the SA consumer pulls its finger out of its a$$ and move over to other alternatives.

But you and me know that this won't happen as the SA consumer is too lazy to do anything, and want somebody else to sort out this issue.
    Agreed. Pity that consumers do not vote with feet. That said the operators know that their customers are locked into lengthy contracts and porting is a schlep. So they rely on this as a part of their retention program

Quote Originally Posted by MFour View Post
    Options are limited.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2
    Report rape and sexual abuse. Don't tolerate crime, report it!
    You can SMS an anonymous tip-off to 32211. SMS charged at R1.

MTN is basically forcing their subscribers to make international calls at higher rates when cheaper options are available at no cost to MTN. Is there any worse PR than this?

Grandmaster

Is there any info on how this value added service works- I don't understand the articles explanation. If cell c is offering the service, and it allows cheap international calls, how is MTN even involved in this?

Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    Is there any info on how this value added service works- I don't understand the articles explanation. If cell c is offering the service, and it allows cheap international calls, how is MTN even involved in this?
    Hi Ave. As I understand, it works like this: A caller from any phone (eg any cellphone) calls a cell C number (for example 084 196 6948 for the mxit international service) and gets a voice menu. From that voice menu, they type in an international number followed by # (for example 0012127773456# for New York - movie information). The Cell C number then puts the caller through to the international number.

The benefit is that the caller is only paying for a local (Cell C) call and not paying a premium for international, and in some cases could use bundled minutes.

If you call New York directly from an MTN phone you pay considerably more per minute, and cannot use bundled minutes, and if you are on contract you need to have international calling unbarred for it to work.

Currently, it seems that if you dial from an MTN cellphone to such a local service, your call is barred.

XConnect does not run such a service but we were providing international routes for many of the service providers who offer this, and there were a lot of MTN customers using the services, myself included.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast