Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Rev. Billy Grahams Daughter: I Would Not Vote foran Atheist

Super Grandmaster

I think the idea of God looking out for you, especially the big unknowns or how you will put food on the table can help with anxiety, thus reducing depression.
    If that was the case then christians would be depression-free.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by lafrica View Post
    they (criminals ) are just trying to make a living .

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    When you know the Truth, you can discern a lie my friend.
    Lol, dude please stop posting, you make me cringe with embarrassment at your ignorance!
    We've been havin it!

I merely relaying what I have read in the bible. Take it or go to a shrink.
    Noooooo you can't get away with the old "I'm just repeating what the bible says" excuse here. You are ascerting the existence of something physically observable this time. In particular you are ascerting that a reduction in anxiety will resolve the chemical imbalances in the brain (a.k.a. the depression).

Provide the proposed mechanism for this relationship and a demonstration of it happening under controlled circumstances Prof.

Either that or stop ascerting it. Your choice.
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daveza View Post
    If that was the case then christians would be depression-free.
    Well I know Christians who suffer from stress, of course. They have not fully embraced the truth yet.

Also I'm sure you get people who have high pressure jobs and are not Christians who are depression-free. They have learnt to manage anxieties and stress in their lives.

Blog Entries

I think that being religious can be stressful as it can also build anxiety in some instances (I know some Christians who are major stress bunnies). I think the scripture I quoted can be used by anyone from any belief system or no belief system.

I think the idea of God looking out for you, especially the big unknowns or how you will put food on the table can help with anxiety, thus reducing depression.
    Anxiety doesn't cause depression, as has been pointed out to you in several posts already, and that particular verse did not mention depression at all, as has also been pointed out to you.

You are starting to ignore most of my questions now, so unless you are willing to engage properly, I am removing myself from this discussion
    Behind every dark cloud lies the sun, waiting to boil you alive.
    *girds loins*

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by porchrat View Post
    Noooooo you can't get away with the old "I'm just reapeating what the bible says" excuse here. You are ascerting something physically observable this time. In particular you are ascerting that a reduction in anxiety will resolve the chemical imbalances in the brain (a.k.a. the depression).

Provide the proposed mechanism for this relationship and a demonstration of it happening under controlled circumstances Prof.
    Perhaps your brain produces higher amounts of certain chemicals under certain conditions thus leading to depression?
    If you happen to sleep around 3 hours a night for a month or so due to stress i would think there will be a chemical buildup in your brain leading to strange behavior, no?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    Anxiety doesn't cause depression, as has been pointed out to you in several posts already, and that particular verse did not mention depression at all, as has also been pointed out to you.

You are starting to ignore most of my questions now, so unless you are willing to engage properly, I am removing myself from this discussion
    My highest authority is the bible.(New King James Version is the one I am reading)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    I was talking about our understanding, in response to your (false) claims that the bible explains the source of depression.

That religion can help with depression is not entirely untrue, with that I will not argue. The point is though, that it can in some circumstances make it worse and in others make no difference, also don't forget that while your personal religion can help with anxiety and depression, other mutually exclusive religions can help others with the same problems - This is important for you to grasp, because it shows quite clearly that it is the belief itself that is helping, not the specific components of a given belief system.

I'd say there's something to what you are claiming if you could prove that Christians are statistically less depressed than other people (religious or otherwise). Can you provide evidence for this that is not personal and/or subjective?
    I have not looked for this info.

Perhaps your brain produces higher amounts of certain chemicals under certain conditions thus leading to depression?
    Yes in my understanding this is in many cases what is happening. I'm certainly no psychiatrist and my neurophysiology knowledge is limited and by now probably a bit dated.

If you happen to sleep around 3 hours a night for a month or so due to stress i would think there will be a chemical buildup in your brain leading to strange behavior, no?
    No this chemical imbalance isn't rectified by merely sleeping more or having less stress. Besides this isn't a mechanism. Give me the biochemical specifics.

Now please present the mechanism. Also don't just throw this "some chemical" nonsense about I want specifics. Which areas of the brain? Which neurochemicals (dopamine? serotonin? GABA?). Is it a reduction in synthesis or an increase in reuptake that leads to the reduction in the presence of the neurochemical? Come on Prof. work with me here. Back up your ascertion with something concrete.
    Last edited by porchrat; 16-04-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling... I'm sure there are more mistakes :(
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

My highest authority is the bible.(New King James Version is the one I am reading)
    And what if there was a chapter in there that said you should slit your son's throat if his index finger isn't longer than 7cm by the time he turns 21?

I'm asking because I would like to know what the verification process is/was for the books in the bible?

Blog Entries

This is completely unrelated to anything I asked you or said, so...

*edit*

I understand, pardon. That particular version puts it as depression. Well, it's still not true, in any case, that anxiety causes depression. It's asserting something as true that we know is not. What is this meant to be convincing me of again?

Of course you haven't.
    Last edited by copacetic; 16-04-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Behind every dark cloud lies the sun, waiting to boil you alive.
    *girds loins*

Historical Significance

Grandmaster
    Stellenbosch, Republic of the Western Cape

Remind me again, is that the one without dragons?
    --
    ADSL Line: 10Mbps via Afrihost 100Mb Capped

Keep Calm And Engage Low Range

Quote Originally Posted by Naks View Post
    Remind me again, is that the one without dragons?
    I think it's the one with the Unicorns though, or did they replace them with cows? One of the versions were like hmmm no we'll use cows instead of unicorns? wtf how do you do that?

Also the old testament leaves out the fact that Mary had a virgin birth.

Very bad journalism.
    Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by porchrat View Post
    THAT picture.

Makes me laugh.
    Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910