Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy price hike consumers might miss when buying their groceries

Default Dodgy price hike consumers might miss when buying their groceries

http://www.iol.co.za/iol-shopper/ret...ikes-1.1273582

I think we need to have a read of that article...

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

sheezzz.
    We should make a huge noise. FFS.
    “Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.”

Excellent find. Perhaps in the idea of the article we should start a thread on shrinking foodstuffs.
    I was the inspiration for Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp_21 View Post
    Excellent find. Perhaps in the idea of the article we should start a thread on shrinking foodstuffs.
    You can track it here... that's why I made the thread three years ago.... but nobody else seems interested in tracking price increases for their regular purchases...

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...e-Watch-Thread

The retailers must just change the shelf price tags to include something like this in small print:
    R2.14 / ml or R1.23 / g

Then it is easier to compare the prices of different products and package sizes.

Another thing about All Gold package sizes I noticed the other day at Checkers: the 700ml glass bottle was about R15 and the 500ml plastic bottle about R20. So the 700ml bottle is better value for money. Strange: I always thought the glass containers were more expensive than the plastic ones to manufacture.
    Last edited by Franna; 12-04-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franna View Post
    The retailers must just change the shelf price tags to include something like this in small print:
    R2.14 / ml or R1.23 / g

Then it is easier to compare the prices of different products and package sizes.

Another thing about All Gold package sizes I noticed the other day at Checkers: the 700ml glass bottle was about R15 and the 500ml plastic bottle about R20. So the 700ml bottle is better value for money. Strange: I always thought the glass containers were more expensive than the plastic ones to manufacture.
    Makro does that (and Pick and Pay).

That's why I prefer shopping at Makro because it is incredibly easy to comparative shopping.

Pick and Pay does it, but they are sneaky as hell. On the one product they will list it as Price/mg and on the competitive product it would be Price/each, thus making it impossible to compare.

If you don't suck at maths it should be easy enough...

Quote Originally Posted by (@) (@) twister View Post
    Even if you do, a calculator will sort you out chop chop .

Nestle is the worst with those 80 gram chocolates for the same money. I have not been calling them slabs because they just ain't slabs anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iblade View Post
    Pick and Pay does it, but they are sneaky as hell. On the one product they will list it as Price/mg and on the competitive product it would be Price/each, thus making it impossible to compare.
    Ja, I have noticed that... hence why I rather shop at Makro.

Yep, I love those R/kg or R/g or R/ea labels.
    Just the other day at pick n pay I was lol'ing that the 750g VALUE FAMILY PACK of All-bran was more expensive than the 500g regular pack when compared R/kg - and guess which one was on 'SPECIAL', yes the actually more expensive 'VALUE' pack. Fail. :-P

So items I've noticed shrink:
    1) Coke cans 340ml -> 330ml
    2) Chocolate slabs 100g -> 90g, 200g -> 180g etc
    3) Tissues 200 -> 180
    4) Soap bars 200g - 175g?, 100g -> 85g?
    5) NEW! All Gold 750g -> 700g

Anything else you've noticed?
    Reliable ISP wanted
    Have money
    Will pay

Little sad that they only place to get a little jsutice is the ASA:

The iconic All Gold tomato sauce – part of the Tiger Brands stable – shrank from 750ml to 700ml with no fanfare recently, a development which was not lost on consumer Mark Allan Henshaw.

He lodged a complaint with the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), questioning the veracity of Tiger Brands’ website boast that the product “is crammed full of 36 tomatoes”, given that the bottle had since shrunk by 50ml.

Tiger Brands responded by saying that the website reference to the 750ml bottle – and the 36 tomatoes – were errors which had since been corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by reactor_sa View Post
    Yep, I love those R/kg or R/g or R/ea labels.
    Just the other day at pick n pay I was lol'ing that the 750g VALUE FAMILY PACK of All-bran was more expensive than the 500g regular pack when compared R/kg - and guess which one was on 'SPECIAL', yes the actually more expensive 'VALUE' pack. Fail. :-P

So items I've noticed shrink:
    1) Coke cans 340ml -> 330ml
    2) Chocolate slabs 100g -> 90g, 200g -> 180g etc
    3) Tissues 200 -> 180
    4) Soap bars 200g - 175g?, 100g -> 85g?
    5) NEW! All Gold 750g -> 700g

Anything else you've noticed?
    Slabs are now 80 grams

Quote Originally Posted by (@) (@) twister View Post
    It's all about ease of use, why offer the service but do it like this? I am now forced to calculate it all in my head, which I don't always have time when I need to quickly grab something before picking up the kids from school, I find this quite irritating and as a customer it simply means that I take my money somewhere else that makes my life easier.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast