Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 101

Thread: Haven't really seen any Jewish people on the forum... but...

  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I think that it's easy for people to be fundamental in their beliefs because it's a vocal and passionate denial of that (often far higher than) 0.1% of doubt that they have in their own faiths/beliefs/lack thereof. Few people are ever ready to admit that, especially to themselves.

    Personally, I'm quite content just being me and getting on with life without trying to come up with excuses for it. Whatever will be, will be. Inevitability is inevitable. No point getting in a huff about it all and religion isn't my answer.

    Life, however, we have and we should cherish (that of each other and our own).

    /sentimental
    That's my viewpoint on it as well. I feel the people who go out of their way (suicide bombers for example) to prove their points or get their message across and have active campaigns to convert as many people as possible (or denounce/argue/violently defend their beliefs or religion), doesn't really "get it"

    To me the point of this whole exercise is to find something that works for me, to balance my spiritual quest with my physical achievements and to BE a better person (and not say that I am one)

  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AcidRaZor View Post
    That's my viewpoint on it as well. I feel the people who go out of their way (suicide bombers for example) to prove their points or get their message across and have active campaigns to convert as many people as possible (or denounce/argue/violently defend their beliefs or religion), doesn't really "get it"

    To me the point of this whole exercise is to find something that works for me, to balance my spiritual quest with my physical achievements and to BE a better person (and not say that I am one)
    You're not unique in that regard. I think almost everyone realises that, at heart, they aren't "good" and that they have weak moments, have done stupid things and possibly even bad things, but the important thing to remember is that it's human to have those moments and to make mistakes. The important thing is to strive to become a better person.

    This isn't meant to be facetious, but praying won't make you a better person. If anything at all, it would only be a shallow and ineffectual way to convince yourself that you are.

    Try helping out at an animal welfare or spend one day of your weekend volunteering at a charity to help out needy kids or folks in impoverished areas. Try becoming a vegetarian?

    There are a number of constructive things you can do that will help you feel like a better person while also giving back to those around you.

    Ultimately though, you're the only person who knows what you want to do with your life and you only have one life, so do what you believe will make you happy. Worst case scenario, try it for a few months/years and see how it goes. If it resonates with you then it would have had the desired effect. If not, try something else.

  3. #18

    Default

    No more cheese burgers and bacon? good luck with that.

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua_lung View Post
    No more cheese burgers and bacon? good luck with that.
    The no cheese or bacon story was just another way for jews to save more money when eating at the local tavern. I've got 2 very cool Jewish friends but wow are they tight with their money!
    :-)

  5. #20
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    7,599

    Default

    I hope you're already circumcised (or you'll need to be cut), have money to cover the cost of converting and have the time and willingness to study and work hard since one cannot just decide to be Jewish, you have to work at it and it isn't easy. Your views on why we don't eat pork, for example, are irrelevant - you need to know and understand what the rabbi's say and keep a kosher diet or you will not be accepted. The religious standards and requirements expected of converts are much higher and more strict than for those born jewish
    http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...sm-So-Hard.htm

  6. #21
    A Djinn
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The 36 Chambers
    Posts
    17,089

    Default

    Remember once you're a Jew, you'll stay Jew for life. It's like trying to leave a gang. Plus any kids you have after converting will be Jews too.

    Also Mel Gibson.
    Villain, I have done thy mother.

  7. #22

    Default

    You're willingly jumping from the pot into the pan imo.

    Maybe I don't get it! You have your own personal beliefs as you said, why not leave it at that. Why taint it with Judaism? Theres really no need!

    Why do humans always feel they NEED to 'belong'?
    DEL PythonFSi

  8. #23
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    7,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sensorei View Post
    The no cheese or bacon story was just another way for jews to save more money when eating at the local tavern. I've got 2 very cool Jewish friends but wow are they tight with their money!
    Wow, nice, stereotype an entire nation of people. Don't be surprised when you're considered anti-semetic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja'd View Post
    Remember once you're a Jew, you'll stay Jew for life. It's like trying to leave a gang. Plus any kids you have after converting will be Jews too.
    Only if their mother is Jewish...

  9. #24
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Big Wide World
    Posts
    5,073

    Default

    Read Nietzsche

  10. #25
    Karmic Sangoma ghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hotel California
    Posts
    41,009
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    The only experience I have with Jews is working for them. They paid me a fair wage and I got both Jewish and Xian holidays off. So I like them
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sensorei View Post
    The no cheese or bacon story was just another way for jews to save more money when eating at the local tavern. I've got 2 very cool Jewish friends but wow are they tight with their money!
    I heard that copper wire was invented by the Jews. Apparently they found a nickel, and started fighting over who got to keep it :P
    ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

  12. #27
    Super Grandmaster marine1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A black hole in the universe - JHB
    Posts
    36,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    I heard that copper wire was invented by the Jews. Apparently they found a nickel, and started fighting over who got to keep it :P

    To the OP good for you wanting to join Judaism or even Christianity or any religion that is not hellbent on wiping out the "infidels"

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joelus View Post
    The religious standards and requirements expected of converts are much higher and more strict than for those born jewish
    http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...sm-So-Hard.htm
    All Jews are equal, except some are more equal than other

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marine1 View Post

    To the OP good for you wanting to join Judaism or even Christianity or any religion that is not hellbent on wiping out the "infidels"
    I keeel u!

  15. #30

    Default

    IMO the dietary laws were put there as a measure to keep people from getting ill. It's far easier to tell people it's a sin, rather than explaining how to prepare/cook certain foods properly. Especially in those days when most folk were simple and uneducated.

    Now! however its the 21st century, cold storage/cooking appliances and quality of meat have changed a bit since the time those "laws" were written.
    So in other words...
    Wake the **** up! IT's 2012 - not 0012

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •