Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Thread: What does Telkom's price cut means for you?

IPConnect is used by all of SA’s existing internet service providers (ISPs) to access Telkom’s fixed-line data network in order to provide internet services.
    I'm fairly sure that statement is not accurate if resellers of SAIX-based ADSL data accounts are also considered to be ISPs.

The ISP charge is the most significant cost faced by ISPs in providing ADSL services.
    And I think that should read "IPConnect charge".

Murray Steyn, the chief commercial office of Vox Telecom.
    That should read "officer".
    Last edited by j4ck455; 14-04-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    ATTENTION: Bloody dishonourable SCAMRAL agent and clones

Trying to bait me into replying to your troll posts is not going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck455 View Post
    I'm fairly sure that statement is not accurate if resellers of SAIX-based ADSL data accounts are also considered to be ISPs.

And I think that should read "IPConnect charge".
    As far as I understand SAIX also use the IPC to connect ADSL users to their infrastructure... SAIX is an ISP essentially while the IPC is a system for connecting endpoint infrastructure to ISPs.
    Attention City of Joburg and its employees, you do not have permission to view this webpage, you will be charged for your malicious hacking crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Hope I am answering the question
    Loud and Clear,thanx for clearing that up Bern.Guess then it all comes down to Quantity vs Quality(At current prices I know which I will choose.).

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

As far as I understand SAIX also use the IPC to connect ADSL users to their infrastructure... SAIX is an ISP essentially while the IPC is a system for connecting endpoint infrastructure to ISPs.
    A telkom guy on the forum already said TI doesn't use IPC. They aren't allowed to for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwikslver View Post
    A telkom guy on the forum already said TI doesn't use IPC. They aren't allowed to for some reason.
    That was "ranger" - the TI guy.... he actually says that they want to use IPC so that they can get the same treatment as other ISPs!!
    Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
    -George Eliot (1819-1880)

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lexis View Post
    I have 1mbs uncapped and I don't mind paying my R297 towards uncapped for the 30G or so a month I am using. But that R 289 towards the use of the line - that gets me. I didn't see Telkom doing anything more after I upgraded from 384kbs (R152) to 1mbs. The line is there!

To the wise ones out there - I changed the line to Afrihost (R279), saves R10.
    You're using now 3 times more backhaul(384 vs 1meg) on the dslam than you previously. That's why telkom charge more.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwikslver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    That was "ranger" - the TI guy.... he actually says that they want to use IPC so that they can get the same treatment as other ISPs!!
    How does the SAIX connection work then - I thought they were automatically transitioned on to the IPC method once it was implemented??
    Attention City of Joburg and its employees, you do not have permission to view this webpage, you will be charged for your malicious hacking crimes

How does the SAIX connection work then - I thought they were automatically transitioned on to the IPC method once it was implemented??
    I think it was this post. Will look for his others...
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...=1#post8025502

The other...
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...=1#post8021024
    Last edited by MickeyD; 14-04-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.

SAIX connections use native/natural routing, that is the global routing table on the ESRs. So if one ADSL sends packets to another on the same ESR, the packets will take the shortest path, that is go no further into the network than the ESR.

IPC connections terminate within half-duplex VRFs (basically VPNs) where all packets are forwarded to the ISP's IPC Link (could be clear across the country) irrespective if the packets are destined for another ADSL connection right next to the one sending.
    Last edited by Roman4604; 14-04-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Still here ... FTL drives offline

I was in the better quality camp, but I've been thinking about this issue, and I am now firmly in the pass the savings on camp...

Mweb's account runs just fine for me, and every extra cent I can get my hands on these days counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    I was in the better quality camp, but I've been thinking about this issue, and I am now firmly in the pass the savings on camp...

Mweb's account runs just fine for me, and every extra cent I can get my hands on these days counts.
    +1 Mweb's quality is good enough give us the cost saving

All that has happened hear is that they have taken the So-Called-Free-Modem out of the mix, lets face it you can only get away with somethings for so long - best to duck out with a smile and not show that they were over playing the issue, heck there must be a mountain of ADSL 1 modems out there by now

384K is a total joke - 1 to 4 meg lines are a MINIMUM with at least 39 Gig data a month
    Above us only Sky

Un-metered Lives 2009

Realistically we should see a decrease of 10% by ISP but its a case of whose going to flinch first

Quote Originally Posted by saffakanera View Post
    That's because you download terabytes of hentai and furry movies.
    I don't even have a terrabyte of disk space in my PC. I have to transfer my hentai and furry movies to
    DVD after I download them.

Not all of us are as lucky as you saffakanera, hard drives are expensive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast