Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Scientist invents real Star Trek tricorder

  1. #1

    Default Scientist invents real Star Trek tricorder

    Scientist invents real Star Trek tricorder

    Starships, warp speed, transporters, phasers. Think “Star Trek” technology is only the stuff of fiction? Think again.

  2. #2
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    KZN Dolphin Coast
    Posts
    41,303
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  3. #3

    Default

    Big whoop. It can take temp/humidity and calculate distances. My iPhone can do that (not really, but this isn't new tech at all)

    Wake me up when he can get the thing to analyze substances and it breaks down stuff into the materials an object is comprised of.

  4. #4
    Resident Lead Bender Ockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Henceforth AKA OckieMoto :-)
    Posts
    26,020

    Default

    Cool...but I want a damn replictor! FREE FOOD!!!!! nom nom.
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

  5. #5

    Default

    Meh ... Why not rather work on teleportation?

    Sent from my Galaxy S II
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    OGroteKoning's dog has a cool hat.

  6. #6
    Super Grandmaster Elimentals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PE
    Posts
    10,822
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OGroteKoning View Post
    Meh ... Why not rather work on teleportation?
    The Fly put me off that idea.

    No way I will ever try it with today's tech doesn't matter how many times someone tell me its safe.

    Oh technically speaking transporters and replicators are one in the same tech. The one just reads+destroys the object and recreated it at a different location the other just use a stored pattern to recreate the object.(Think of it as playing a song from a recording vs listening to a live recording via the same medium)

    So one creates from memory the other creates from a scanned object. Seeing that you can technically duplicate the object and opt not to destroy it, the question that comes up is, if its in fact a duplicate as you can simply opt not to destroy the original. So yep they killing Capt Kirk every time the beam him to a planet.

    The Fly issue was covered with Bio filters but wasn't 100% efficient in the start for humans and thus we saw riots and banning in United Earth before the forming of the Federation. Only later with future contacts with Vulcans and other space fairing nations did they develop tech to start transporting humans. Also only in case of an emergency at 1st. They also had metaphysical debates on the matter of duplication but I guess they didn't have religion at that time as that would have killed the transportation tech stone cold dead in its tracks.

    Oh crap... did I just debate Star Trek tech.... /me hides before someone say I am a trekkie.
    Last edited by Elimentals; 14-04-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

  7. #7
    Super Grandmaster ToxicBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crimetown
    Posts
    38,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elimentals View Post
    The Fly put me off that idea.

    No way I will ever try it with today's tech doesn't matter how many times someone tell me its safe.

    Oh technically speaking transporters and replicators are one in the same tech. The one just reads+destroys the object and recreated it at a different location the other just use a stored pattern to recreate the object.(Think of it as playing a song from a recording vs listening to a live recording via the same medium)

    So one creates from memory the other creates from a scanned object. Seeing that you can technically duplicate the object and opt not to destroy it, the question that comes up is, if its in fact a duplicate as you can simply opt not to destroy the original. So yep they killing Capt Kirk every time the beam him to a planet.

    The Fly issue was covered with Bio filters but wasn't 100% efficient in the start for humans and thus we saw riots and banning in United Earth before the forming of the Federation. Only later with future contacts with Vulcans and other space fairing nations did they develop tech to start transporting humans. Also only in case of an emergency at 1st. They also had metaphysical debates on the matter of duplication but I guess they didn't have religion at that time as that would have killed the transportation tech stone cold dead in its tracks.

    Oh crap... did I just debate Star Trek tech.... /me hides before someone say I am a trekkie.
    *points and laughs at the Trekkie*
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elimentals View Post
    The Fly put me off that idea.

    No way I will ever try it with today's tech doesn't matter how many times someone tell me its safe.

    Oh technically speaking transporters and replicators are one in the same tech. The one just reads+destroys the object and recreated it at a different location the other just use a stored pattern to recreate the object.(Think of it as playing a song from a recording vs listening to a live recording via the same medium)

    So one creates from memory the other creates from a scanned object. Seeing that you can technically duplicate the object and opt not to destroy it, the question that comes up is, if its in fact a duplicate as you can simply opt not to destroy the original. So yep they killing Capt Kirk every time the beam him to a planet.

    The Fly issue was covered with Bio filters but wasn't 100% efficient in the start for humans and thus we saw riots and banning in United Earth before the forming of the Federation. Only later with future contacts with Vulcans and other space fairing nations did they develop tech to start transporting humans. Also only in case of an emergency at 1st. They also had metaphysical debates on the matter of duplication but I guess they didn't have religion at that time as that would have killed the transportation tech stone cold dead in its tracks.

    Oh crap... did I just debate Star Trek tech.... /me hides before someone say I am a trekkie.
    I feel "trekked" ... lol ... then first we must invent poison in ... say ... a can that can be sprayed on insects to kill them before they merge with the teletransportee ... thus dooming them to death ... let's call such a device DOOM!

    Sent from my Galaxy S II
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    OGroteKoning's dog has a cool hat.

  9. #9
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    KZN Dolphin Coast
    Posts
    41,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OGroteKoning View Post
    Meh ... Why not rather work on teleportation?

    Sent from my Galaxy S II
    It has actually been done already to some degree. Someone do me a favour and post some links from google.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  10. #10

    Default

    They've been able to teleport particles by 2 meters before. It was several years ago already so can't remember exactly, but they did say they had to add a (what I call) "control" particle to be able to assemble the other one on the other end correctly.

    What I find fascinating though is Capt. Kirk was a duplicate/clone from the first time they used the transporter. So you only see the REAL Kirk in the beginning of the series, lollerskates

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AcidRaZor View Post
    What I find fascinating though is Capt. Kirk was a duplicate/clone from the first time they used the transporter. So you only see the REAL Kirk in the beginning of the series, lollerskates
    You are referring to "The Enemy Within"? That is a split, not a duplicate or clone, both Kirks were not identical. And at the end they get recombined, not left as they were.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ene...28Star_Trek%29

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •