Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Lumia Trauma and Nightmare

Default Nokia Lumia Trauma and Nightmare

Hi all. I got my Lumia 800 a few days ago and I regret the hell of my life why I got his device. I can't access my FNB free internet banking, I get charged for using whatsapp, battery lasts for 30min without even having used the phone, there are some hidden applications that chows my airtime big time. I went to Nokia Woodmead by the staff there is just as clueless about the device. I really hate myself for having made the decision to get this damn phone when my son told me to get a BB Bold.

Very stressed as I am locked iin the 24months contract and will have to find my way to live with the Lumia 800 trauma
    Last edited by The_Librarian; 16-04-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: fixed spelling in title

Quote Originally Posted by Sekgana View Post
    Hi all. I got my Lumia 800 a few days ago and I regret the hell of my life why I got his device. I can't access my FNB free internet banking, I get charged for using whatsapp, battery lasts for 30min without even having used the phone, there are some hidden applications that chows my airtime big time. I went to Nokia Woodmead by the staff there is just as clueless about the device. I really hate myself for having made the decision to get this damn phone when my son told me to get a BB Bold.

Very stressed as I am locked iin the 24months contract and will have to find my way to live with the Lumia 800 trauma
    Have you done all the updates that Nokia has released for the Lumia 800?

You're making me worry now, cos I want to recommend this phone to a friend who will only buy a Nokia.

What's the policy on returns? Can you not take it back within a certain amount of time because it's not suitable?

Grandmaster

It's normal to be charged for WhatsApp, and it is normal for smartphones to use data the whole time, as they sync. You can disable this. Or just get a data bundle.

FNB's internet banking should work fine, but the actual FNB app is not available on Windows Phone yet.

The only one that sounds a bit dodge is the battery, and I know they have released a patch for it.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting f#ck, what a ride!"

I have a Lumia 800 and my battery lasts at least 18 hours, with heavy usage including WhatsApp, three e-mail accounts synching as well as multiple phone calls during a day. I think your phone is just buggered, take it back to where you got it from and have them replace or fix it.

On the other stuff, you should have done your homework about data usage on your contract and read up on what Windows Phone will allow to run in the background, there is no background app that is mysteriously chowing bandwidth. Press the phone back button to see what is running in the background.

Ahhhh, stop drop and roll!

Ok, with regards to battery: Install Zune on your PC. Get the full client here ( http://zune.net/en-ZA/products/softw...ad/default.htm ) or just plug the phone in, let it find the drivers automatically, and then it will prompt you to install it and it will download a min client. It will then check for updates, let it update if there is anything.
    Could you explain more about how your battery is lasting? Even before the battery update people were mostly getting close to a day's usage. I have data enabled, and lots of background tasks, and mine lasts 1-2 days depending on how many games I play.

Airtime: I presume you came from a BB where data is free. All smartphones will use data. You can either get a data bundle and do your best to minimize usage, or turn it off, and only let your phone update when in WiFi. To turn it off goto Settings -> Cellular (sometimes Mobile Network) -> then tun the 'Data Connection' slider off (pull it to the left). Background tasks are apps that will run every 30 minutes (or less) to update their content etc. View those at Settings -> Slide to the left -> Background tasks. You can turn those off, which will save battery and data.

FNB: There is no official client on WP7 at the moment. I am pushing them to bring it across. Until then, just goto fnb.co.za in the browser and use the normal interface. It isn't as good as using the app, but it's much better than any mobi crap, and works perfectly.

Let us know what other problems you have. I would recommend the Lumias to everyone, and I believe that once you solve your initial issues you will love it.

Stop and enjoy the phone. Install apps. Install games. Connect it with Facebook and Twitter (if you use them). And just use the phone - it'll grow on you.
    My Site: http://blog.roguecode.co.za
    I make awesome Windows Phone apps for awesome companies, also, Plex.

Quote Originally Posted by Frikkenator View Post
    FNB's internet banking should work fine, but the actual FNB app is not available on Windows Phone yet.
    as mentioned in another thread, presumably he's talking about the ussd phase 2 issue.
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by murraybiscuit View Post
    as mentioned in another thread, presumably he's talking about the ussd phase 2 issue.
    Which, as mentioned in my post, is crap compared to just using the site in the browser. So you're not losing any functionality, just gaining (plus some scrolling :P).

Quote Originally Posted by roguemat View Post
    Which, as mentioned in my post, is crap compared to just using the site in the browser. So you're not losing any functionality, just gaining (plus some scrolling :P).
    it may be crap, but when you can't access the web because you've run out of data/poor data reception, fnb gives you a way to buy airtime via ussd
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by murraybiscuit View Post
    it may be crap, but when you can't access the web because you've run out of data/poor data reception, fnb gives you a way to buy airtime via ussd
    Oh, thats cool. I didn't know, I've never run out of airtime :P. Kidding, but that is interesting to note.

Stop and enjoy the phone. Install apps. Install games. Connect it with Facebook and Twitter (if you use them). And just use the phone - it'll grow on you.
    I loved my Samsung Galaxy S2 from day 1.

RAS
    Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger

Quote Originally Posted by kingrob View Post
    I loved my Samsung Galaxy S2 from day 1.
    I loved my WP7 from day one too. Give my mother your S2 and she would freak out. It's all about what you are used to, what you know, and what you like.

I loved my WP7 from day one too. Give my mother your S2 and she would freak out. It's all about what you are used to, what you know, and what you like.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Love my Samsung Galaxy S as well.

I loaded too many apps on, which chomped battery life... Uninstalled most of the major troublemakers, and all is well now.

So glad I decided to give Nokia a miss this time round.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast