Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nokia Lumia Trauma and Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by roguemat View Post
    Ahhhh, stop drop and roll!

Ok, with regards to battery: Install Zune on your PC. Get the full client here ( http://zune.net/en-ZA/products/softw...ad/default.htm ) or just plug the phone in, let it find the drivers automatically, and then it will prompt you to install it and it will download a min client. It will then check for updates, let it update if there is anything.
    Could you explain more about how your battery is lasting? Even before the battery update people were mostly getting close to a day's usage. I have data enabled, and lots of background tasks, and mine lasts 1-2 days depending on how many games I play.

Airtime: I presume you came from a BB where data is free. All smartphones will use data. You can either get a data bundle and do your best to minimize usage, or turn it off, and only let your phone update when in WiFi. To turn it off goto Settings -> Cellular (sometimes Mobile Network) -> then tun the 'Data Connection' slider off (pull it to the left). Background tasks are apps that will run every 30 minutes (or less) to update their content etc. View those at Settings -> Slide to the left -> Background tasks. You can turn those off, which will save battery and data.

FNB: There is no official client on WP7 at the moment. I am pushing them to bring it across. Until then, just goto fnb.co.za in the browser and use the normal interface. It isn't as good as using the app, but it's much better than any mobi crap, and works perfectly.

Let us know what other problems you have. I would recommend the Lumias to everyone, and I believe that once you solve your initial issues you will love it.

Stop and enjoy the phone. Install apps. Install games. Connect it with Facebook and Twitter (if you use them). And just use the phone - it'll grow on you.

Hi,

i was wondering if you could give me an average estimation of how much data you use on your lumia each month? I have a blackberry at present but really like the lumia and am considering getting it but i dont know how to gauge my data usage. I dont want to upgrade my phone only to pay a fortune in data bundles.

Thanks

Sure.
    My most recent month i used around 580MB.
    This is probably a bit more than most people.
    I have quite a few live tiles. I it alot, including for downloading apps when in not at home. I have Facebook and twitter linked and use both actively.
    I also tether while not at home. And finally, I get around 100 emails a day(wpcentral, metrotwit svn etc).

I think you should try find out the same from an average user :P
    My Site: http://roguecode.co.za
    I make awesome Windows Phone apps for awesome companies, also, Plex.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roguemat View Post
    Sure.
    My most recent month i used around 580MB.
    This is probably a bit more than most people.
    I have quite a few live tiles. I it alot, including for downloading apps when in not at home. I have Facebook and twitter linked and use both actively.
    I also tether while not at home. And finally, I get around 100 emails a day(wpcentral, metrotwit svn etc).

I think you should try find out the same from an average user :P
    reminds me of a problem I have with Windows Phone when it comes to data is there is no middle ground. Can not set some apps to use WiFi only and others to 3G+Wifi or 3G only. Its a case of turn off 3G if you dont want apps to eat your precious data and say bye bye to Whatsapp's push updates, because Facebook is eating your data.

Lets hope they give developers access to networking in Windows Phone 8 sothat applications like Onavo can help people preserve there data.

And again, something that you could do in Windows Mobile but not with Windows Phone
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

<3 onavo
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Thank you all for your valuable response. How I wish the Vodacom upgrades department were well informed. All what they said to me was that Lumia is the best phone. I mean best to me means, cost effective and user friendly.

@roguemat: As for downloading Zune, I don't have a personal PC and can't use the work PC to install such for personal gain.
    @iblade: I called Vodacom to check what phones are available for upgrade and which one is recommended, so I did ask
    @Frikkenator: I was using N8-00 and would use WhatsApp even when I was on R0.00 balance for a month
    @Spizz: I was informed by the Vodacom customer care consultant to call the after ssales department and inform them about my dissatisfaction. I am still within the 7days timeline

Another strange this was to realise that when I have my phone plugged to teh charger, it switches itself on. The radio speaker sounds is very faint even though I turned teh volume to 30 which is the maximum.

If I don't get any joy from Vodacom or Nokia, I will get myself another handset to put my contract sim and just put the prepaid ddata sim on the Lumia.

In closing, lessons learnt are that, never go for a device that is very new in the market. Wait until all is 100%.

Kingrob-I had difficulty downloading the so called Zune on my home PC so that is one other frustrating thing that the service provider should have advised on what are the requirements for me to use the phone. To be honest, let your friend go for N8-00. I enjoyed the phone and passed it on to my 13yrs old son and can't take it back because of my wrong decisons. I just have to get hima BB then I can have my N8 back then let him use the Lumia to play game on.

roguemat: I am not much of a data user only for whatsapp as it has always been cheaper to communicate with all my contacts. On my N8-00 I used to be able to communcate on whatsapp even with a R0.00 airtime balance. I am on a top-up contract. To be honest, I hate this LUmia and don't think I will ever get over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekgana View Post
    @roguemat: As for downloading Zune, I don't have a personal PC and can't use the work PC to install such for personal gain.
    Kingrob-I had difficulty downloading the so called Zune on my home PC so that is one other frustrating thing that the service provider should have advised on what are the requirements for me to use the phone.
    Sorry, I am confused. Do you have a PC or not? If you do, what is the problem you are having with Zune - you need to tell us these things if we are going to make suggestions.

As for the N8 working with no airtime - that's news to me, but maybe someone could clarify.

Now I have a possibly stupid question: If you have had R0 airtime for a month, are you sure you are in the market for a smartphone?

If you absolutely can't stand the phone, give it to him, and I'm sure he will love it. Besides the data thing (BIS) there isn't anything that WP7 kills BB at, and even that is common amongst all smartphones.
    My Site: http://roguecode.co.za
    I make awesome Windows Phone apps for awesome companies, also, Plex.

Blog Entries

I love this phone a vast improvement over my old Win Mob 6.5 device. I not a so called "Apps" user or the "smoke and mirror" surrounding it. My Lumia I enjoy and think it is an amazing device and have no problem with Zune at all. Just my 2 cents.
    The support by Nokia SA has been excellent as well.
    Viva Windows Phones.
    Last edited by Ivanr; 16-04-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Grandmaster

roguemat: I am not much of a data user only for whatsapp as it has always been cheaper to communicate with all my contacts. On my N8-00 I used to be able to communcate on whatsapp even with a R0.00 airtime balance. I am on a top-up contract. To be honest, I hate this LUmia and don't think I will ever get over that.
    Sorry friend but I call BS, I had a N8 on a top up contract before my Lumia, the only way Whatsapp works with a balance of R0.00 is if you connect it to Wi-Fi.

As for Whatsapp push not working via wi-fi that someone was going on about, mine works fine on wi-fi only.

Useful tip: Install Spotify and let it run in the background to keep your Wi-Fi connection active when the phone is in sleep mode.

All WP7 devices turn off the Wi-Fi when they go to sleep so if 3G is disabled no push notifications will work.

I had a Nokia N8 on Vodacom Prepaid. I got charged for using WhatsApp, for sure. If you want free messaging, get a BB

Super Grandmaster

You're doing something seriously wrong, Sekgana. I know several Lumia 800 users, two previously used iPhones and one was a convert from Android -- they absolutely love their phones and WP7 especially. I don't have one myself, but have set one up for another friend, and it's brilliant. Personally waiting for either Titan II or Lumia 900.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12