Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast

Thread: new computer running slower than last

Quote Originally Posted by kilobits View Post
    Heeey Pp !

I would not be surprised if the case and power supply are the only new hardware there... like a R499 / R599 combo-case-keyboard-mouse-speaker thing... I wonder if ave received a new mouse+keyboard+speakers ?
    Ello.

Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    the case cost about R250
    So R1,600 including the case?

My advice is to decide whether to name and shame now, or to first take it back and ask for a replacement/explanation. You do not only have the already obvious rights on your side, you have the CPA since it was a recent purchase - so they could get nailed hard...

On the one hand there MAY be some genuine intent in delivering a single core CPU. Of course everything is pointing at them taking you for a ride by exploiting your supposed ignorance. Perhaps we remain hopeful. I would suggest approaching them first before naming and shaming.
    SouthBit Data Recovery - www.southbit.co.za
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Each account is allocated to only 1 x user.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

yeah case and power supply was about R250
    reused the hard drive, ram and dvd
    It sounds a bit steep R1600 for a R250 case, a 2004 model CPU, EOL motherboard and labour.

Who are these people ?

yeah case and power supply was about R250
    reused the hard drive, ram and dvd
    I'm sorry to say this but you got shafted royally!!!

You can get a brand spanking new Celeron G460 PC (case, psu, mb, cpu, 2GB ram, hard drive, dvd writer) for R1700.

I would take back whatever they sold you and ask for your money back. I would also name and shame them. I would not pay R500 for what you got (excl case).
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Did both PC's have the same amount of RAM?
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPot View Post
    Ello.

So R1,600 including the case?

My advice is to decide whether to name and shame now, or to first take it back and ask for a replacement/explanation. You do not only have the already obvious rights on your side, you have the CPA since it was a recent purchase - so they could get nailed hard...

On the one hand there MAY be some genuine intent in delivering a single core CPU. Of course everything is pointing at them taking you for a ride by exploiting your supposed ignorance. Perhaps we remain hopeful. I would suggest approaching them first before naming and shaming.
    yeah I want to gather all the facts, than confront them and see what they have to say first.

so these components are no longer available?
    if they were going to put in a single core processor, they would have used a LGA 1055 sandybridge instead (those are single core right?) maybe its not supposed ignorance, but actual ignorance they exploited lol

Blog Entries

the celeron and sempron were both single core processors.
    Isnt a sempron AMD's "celeron" ie budget processor. Would it be that much more efficient?
    You get dual core celerons, don't you?

In any event, a cursory glance at benchmarks, shows the sempron to be faster than a similar clock speed celeron, explaining the issue.
    Behind every dark cloud lies the sun, waiting to boil you alive.
    *girds loins*

Sorry silly point but Sandybridge = lga1155.

Just being pedantic

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post
    Did both PC's have the same amount of RAM?
    yes. 2GB. they just swapped out my old ram

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

yeah I want to gather all the facts, than confront them and see what they have to say first.

if they were going to put in a single core processor, they would have used a LGA 1055 sandybridge instead (those are single core right?) maybe its not supposed ignorance, but actual ignorance they exploited lol
    Hey ave... we are presuming a lot here based on what they sold you as new.

I seriously doubt you would be able to find any retailer selling 2004 model CPU and 2010 model motherboards as new, when there are cheaper and faster current items available.

As ponder said... you can at least expect a current Celeron G460 and compatible board for less than you paid... or perhaps even an AMD equivalent.

NOT end-of-line and obsolete hardware.

It all depends perhaps on how they invoiced you... ?

It does seem like it was a slap-in-old-hardware and make a quick insurance claim buck sale.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by absynth View Post
    Sorry silly point but Sandybridge = lga1155.

Just being pedantic
    no thats great thanks- I need all the facts

There could be a few lying around at suppliers, can't be sure.

A new, single core Sandy Bridge Celeron setup with 4GB RAM, superior to the Sempron, would've been slightly cheaper.

So there would be no reason supplying new LGA775 since LGA1055 is cheaper and therefore there's more profit. So the only reasons would be they misinterpreted you/genuinely wanted to help, or sourced second-hand LGA775 parts for much less...
    SouthBit Data Recovery - www.southbit.co.za
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Each account is allocated to only 1 x user.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    You get dual core celerons, don't you?

In any event, a cursory glance at benchmarks, shows the sempron to be faster than a similar clock speed celeron, explaining the issue.
    They Celeron G460 will snot-klap ave's old Sempron... finish an' klaar... one way charna.

http://ark.intel.com/products/63913/...ache-1_80-GHz)

Launch Date Q4'11
    Processor Number G460
    # of Cores 1
    # of Threads 2
    Clock Speed 1.8 GHz
    Intel® Smart Cache 1.5 MB

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    I would take back whatever they sold you and ask for your money back. I would also name and shame them. I would not pay R500 for what you got (excl case).
    Agreed, but I wonder if there wasn't a "Customer is always right" element in the transaction; after all the OP wanted to reuse his case, PSU, HDDs (probably IDE) and DDR2 memory so the shop cobbled together something to meet his requirements?

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPot View Post
    There could be a few lying around at suppliers, can't be sure.

A new, single core Sandy Bridge Celeron setup with 4GB RAM, superior to the Sempron, would've been slightly cheaper.
    It would be a bit of a mess warranty wise 8 months down the line from here ... does not compute.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by kilobits View Post
    Hey ave... we are presuming a lot here based on what they sold you as new.

I seriously doubt you would be able to find any retailer selling 2004 model CPU and 2010 model motherboards as new, when there are cheaper and faster current items available.

As ponder said... you can at least expect a current Celeron G460 and compatible board for less than you paid... or perhaps even an AMD equivalent.

NOT end-of-line and obsolete hardware.

It all depends perhaps on how they invoiced you... ?

It does seem like it was a slap-in-old-hardware and make a quick insurance claim buck sale.
    the invoice gave very little detail, so it never actually said new or used parts.
    The thing is these guys also kept our old parts and only gave them back when we asked for them. perhaps for the next guy who comes along.

AMD- they told us they cant get amd from their suppliers, and they will have to try and source it for us- thats why we went for intel instead

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast