Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: LLU: Bitstream gets a launch date

Default LLU: Bitstream gets a launch date

LLU: Bitstream gets a launch date

ICASA has announced a launch date for bitstream access in South Africa

Blog Entries

ICASA seems to be making all the announcements. I have still yet to see a single announcement from Telkom in this regard.

Great news. With this, the IPC cuts, and the speed upgrades we may yet have decent ADSL come 2013.

Here's to hoping anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FuLL_MeT4L View Post
    Great news. With this, the IPC cuts, and the speed upgrades we may yet have decent ADSL come 2013.

Here's to hoping anyway.
    Yes, keeping fingers crossed!

Asked why bitstream access would only be introduced by November 2012, ICASA said that they have to determine the scale and scope of the access line deficit scheme, ensuring that it is fair for all.
    I expect Telkom will be "closed due to PMS" again in November, ICASA should move the deadline forward to September to avoid Telkom's PMS.

Added, according to this calendar: Telkom will be in a closed period 01 Oct to 18 Nov 2012.

What is the point of introducing Bitstream after November 18th when everyone will be preparing to go on leave for December? There will be no one around at Telkom and at ISPs to sort out all the teething problems, or does ICASA expect everyone working for an ADSL ISP to just not go on holiday this December?
    Last edited by j4ck455; 16-04-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    ATTENTION: Bloody dishonourable SCAMRAL agent and clones

Trying to bait me into replying to your troll posts is not going to work.

Only a year late.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    ICASA seems to be making all the announcements. I have still yet to see a single announcement from Telkom in this regard.
    They are Telkom's puppets. ICASA now makes the announcements so that it would appear as if they're actually doing their job.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidRaZor View Post
    They are Telkom's puppets. ICASA now makes the announcements so that it would appear as if they're actually doing their job.
    Looks like they are doing their job lately...

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by evilstebunny View Post
    Only a year late.
    Rather late than never.

The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) announced today (16 April 2012) that it will introduce a form of local loop unbundling (LLU) known as bitstream access in November 2012.
    Just for clarification - I assume the regulations will be introduced in November 2012. Is there any information on when Telkom actually will have to start to comply? Do they get six months or one year from the time the regulations are released to actually provide bitstream access?

It would be unreasonable to expect Telkom to start offering bitstream immediately after the release of the regs, because setting up the internal structures and setting up the right infrastructure to comply to the regulations might take some time? Or will regs be released in phases so that Telkom can prep from its side?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ICASA View Post
    will introduce a form of local loop unbundling (LLU) known as bitstream access in November 2012.
    Hope this 'form of LLU' will not have many limitations on the types of products offered!

Quote Originally Posted by Johand View Post
    Just for clarification - I assume the regulations will be introduced in November 2012. Is there any information on when Telkom actually will have to start to comply? Do they get six months or one year from the time the regulations are released to actually provide bitstream access?

It would be unreasonable to expect Telkom to start offering bitstream immediately after the release of the regs, because setting up the internal structures and setting up the right infrastructure to comply to the regulations might take some time? Or will regs be released in phases so that Telkom can prep from its side?
    Those questions are irrelevant. Telkom usually introduces new products/speeds/caps etc in November if you go by history. So all-in-all, it's most probably Telkom that dictated (and made it the norm) the November "deadline". ICASA is merely conveying whatever Telkom tells them they can convey.

It will probably take ISP's several weeks (if not months) to get access and start, unless ICASA contacted the ISP's beforehand to start processing applications so they can start offering services from the 1st of November already. The latter, I seriously doubt. Who the hell would assume ICASA actually being pro-active... right?

Grandmaster

Bring it on!

What is an "access line deficit scheme"?

EDIT: Got an answer here TechCentral: Icasa tackles critics over telecoms prices

The access-line deficit refers to the fact that Telkom loses money on the average fixed-line in service (before calls and data charges are included) and that allowing competitors to sell access directly could result in the operator subsiding those making money from its network.
    Last edited by burn; 16-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Will we be able to save money from the ADSL line rental portion then? it would thus mean that you'd still need to rent a telephone line, and then pay a discounted ADSL line rental portion?

Yay!!! Naked ADSL for Easter 2013!!! What does it mean without being too technical for Joe Public?Difference between it and IPC?Will IPC fall away?<before I read up on it, in depth>

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast