Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: LLU: Bitstream gets a launch date

Quote Originally Posted by Bvovo View Post
    Looks like they are doing their job lately...
    So far so good, but the bitter taste still lingers..Lets hope for the best here.

To this end, ICASA said that it will soon be establishing a bitstream working group.
    Doesnt sound very finalised, another deadline seemingly linked to a loose concept.

For any kind of practical implementation & deployment a lot of detail needs to be investigated, tested, specified and agreed upon by all parties. Only then will the true nature & scope of the dependancies, obligations, requirments and costs be known.

Should any hurdles or disagreements arise during this process, further delays would be inevitable.
    Still here ... FTL drives offline

Quote Originally Posted by jxharding View Post
    Will we be able to save money from the ADSL line rental portion then? it would thus mean that you'd still need to rent a telephone line, and then pay a discounted ADSL line rental portion?
    Quote Originally Posted by siraman View Post
    Yay!!! Naked ADSL for Easter 2013!!! What does it mean without being too technical for Joe Public?Difference between it and IPC?Will IPC fall away?<before I read up on it, in depth>
    RPM please do an article explaining how the bitstream system will work vs the IPC system and how this will affect the ISP service offerings as well as the price breakdown - i.e. how does this affect the ADSL line rental side as well as the ISP side. Please also get technical in terms of the equipment - old exchanges vs new and so forth.
    Attention City of Joburg and its employees, you do not have permission to view this webpage, you will be charged for your malicious hacking crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    RPM please do an article explaining how the bitstream system will work vs the IPC system and how this will affect the ISP service offerings as well as the price breakdown - i.e. how does this affect the ADSL line rental side as well as the ISP side. Please also get technical in terms of the equipment - old exchanges vs new and so forth.
    +1. That would be great.

Yes please.

Grandmaster

Is the bitstream access reliant on Telkom's MSAN node roll-out? Certainly hope not, else it's going to take forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    +1. Great idea!
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates
    Shaping Explained here
    Do you Oink! ?

Quote Originally Posted by BGE View Post
    Is the bitstream access reliant on Telkom's MSAN node roll-out?
    No.
    ELO: Here is the news...

Yeah.. an article talking about the differences for the ISP and for the consumer would be great actually

If it means lower costs for me as a consumer I'm keen as beans for this.

Grandmaster
    South of the Jacarandas and north of the Jukskei

So IPv6 will finally start to be usable in SA.

Quote Originally Posted by B.O.F.H. View Post
    Yeah.. an article talking about the differences for the ISP and for the consumer would be great actually
    I think that would be a bit premature. As mentioned above, today the term bitstream is a concept, a high level framework indicating where in the incumbent's network access seekers would interconnect.

There is no standard specification for the technical nature of this type of interconnection, as DSL access technology has evolved/changed so much from the time when bitstream was envisaged. Today there are many diverse technical solutions possible for achieving the intent of bitstream.

So before there can be any talk of impacts/benefits for the industry & market, the specification of what bitstream means in the SA context going forward needs to be defined. Let's hope the working group gets cracking at their workings, otherwise that new deadline may be in doubt.
    Last edited by Roman4604; 16-04-2012 at 07:21 PM.

@ Roman4604

Maybe an article on the various technical options then so we can get an idea of what is on the cards from Telkom and the ISPs point of view. It might allow us to make a few comments/suggestions to ensure the best composition of the product.
    Attention City of Joburg and its employees, you do not have permission to view this webpage, you will be charged for your malicious hacking crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Roman4604 View Post
    I think that would be a bit premature. As mentioned above, today the term bitstream is a concept, a high level framework indicating where in the incumbent's network access seekers would interconnect.

There is no standard specification for the technical nature of this type of interconnection, as DSL access technology has evolved/changed so much from the time when bitstream was envisaged. Today there are many diverse technical solutions possible for achieving the intent of bitstream.

So before there can be any talk of impacts/benefits for the industry & market, the specification of what bitstream means in the SA context going forward needs to be defined. Let's hope the working group gets cracking at their workings, otherwise that new deadline may be in doubt.
    Prior to ICASA's public LLU hearings last year, there were ISPs saying that Telkom had already embarked on an implementation of what Telkom considered to be Bitstream.

I would be very surprised if Telkom doesn't just tell ICASA, "this" is the Bitstream implementation on the table - it's Telkom's way or the eTolled highway.
    ATTENTION: Bloody dishonourable SCAMRAL agent and clones

Trying to bait me into replying to your troll posts is not going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck455 View Post
    I would be very surprised if Telkom doesn't just tell ICASA, "this" is the Bitstream implementation on the table - it's Telkom's way or the eTolled highway.
    Suppose it depends on how forceful ICASA want to be, either prescribe based on overseas markets (dictate) or just endorse what Telkom propose (facilitate)?

Although there are probably quite a few ways to do it, my understanding is there are only two practical options; layer 3 using the IPStream architecture, or layer 2 using some sort of QinQ VLANing on their MetroE access rings. There are pros and cons both, my guess we'll land up with IPStream but who knows, really depends on the capabilities of the equipment Telkom has deployed?

Quote Originally Posted by Roman4604 View Post
    Suppose it depends on how forceful ICASA want to be, either prescribe based on overseas markets (dictate) or just endorse what Telkom propose (facilitate)?

Although there are probably quite a few ways to do it, my understanding is there are only two practical options; layer 3 using the IPStream architecture, or layer 2 using some sort of QinQ VLANing on their MetroE access rings. There are pros and cons both, my guess we'll land up with IPStream but who knows, really depends on the capabilities of the equipment Telkom has deployed?
    I haven't got a clue as far as the technicalities go, but if you had to hazard a guess, which option do you think the big ISPs (like MWEB) would prefer to have implemented and which option would be the most flexible in terms of product offerings and future innovation?
    ATTENTION: Bloody dishonourable SCAMRAL agent and clones

Trying to bait me into replying to your troll posts is not going to work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast