Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Islam, a Sexist Religion?

Default Islam, a Sexist Religion?

I know there seems to be a lot of hate going around on these forums against religion, and this isn't an attempt to troll or bait Islam worshippers.

I just wanted to see if you could help me understand the religion.

You see, I have a big problem with Islam regarding it's sexist values.In our modern society now, we have evolved past treating our women like possessions or as inferior beings, and I highly Doubt Islam will follow suite.

Here are some EXTREMELY ENLIGHTENING examples of how sexist Islam is.

1)Husbands may hit their wives even if the husbands merely fear disloyalty and ill-conduct in their wives (quite apart from whether they actually are disloyal).

The Quran in Sura 4:34 says:

4:34 Men are superior to women on account of the qualities with which God has gifted the one above the other and on account of the outlay they make from their substance for them. Righteous wives are devout and guard what God would have them guard in the husbands’ absence. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them, then ignore them when you go to bed, then hit them. If they obey you, you have no right to act against them. God is most high and great.

2). A man may be polygamous with up to four wives.

The Quran in Sura 4:3 says:

"And if you be apprehensive that you will not be able to do justice to the orphans, you may marry two or three or four women whom you choose. But if you apprehend that you might not be able to do justice to them, then marry only one wife, or marry those who have fallen in your possession."

3). Slave—girls are sexual property for their male owners.

The Quran in Sura 4:24 says:

And forbidden to you are wedded wives of other people except those who have fallen in your hands [as prisoners of war]

4). A woman’s testimony counts half of a man’s testimony.

The Quran in Sura 2:282 says:

And let two men from among you bear witness to all such documents [contracts of loans without interest]. But if two men be not available, there should be one man and two women to bear witness so that if one of the women forgets (anything), the other may remind her

(In case she forgets anything,so why is that?is it that only a women can forget things, not a Muslim Man)

5). Mature men are allowed to marry prepubescent girls.

The Quran in Sura 65:1, 4 says:

65:1 O Prophet, when you [and the believers] divorce women, divorce them for their prescribed waiting—period and count the waiting—period accurately . . . 4 And if you are in doubt about those of your women who have despaired of menstruation, (you should know that) their waiting period is three months, and the same applies to those who have not menstruated as yet. As for pregnant women, their period ends when they have delivered their burden

yea...that last one is a real cracker isn't it.

What are your views on this passage from the bible, where a husband is allowed to beat his wife on a simple suspicion?

and what shocks me is how women can continue to support Islam with concepts like this in the Quran!

I really could carry on for a long time there is just SO MUCH sexism going on, showing just how sexist the Quran really is, without even going into rape victims being punished for adultery ect.

I mean the evidence is right there, in the bible.No attempt is even made to hide it, Muslim men blatantly have superior rights in the eyes of Allah.Now I do understand that not all Muslim men behave in a Sexist way, it is after all their prerogative, but the scary part is they CAN and some WILL take advantage of this archaic and sexist concept straight from the bible.

So I ask thee fair Muslim men, what say you to this?
    Last edited by joy_Energiser; 16-04-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    We've been havin it!

I'm not Muslim, so forgive me, but didn't you just answer your own thread question?

Blog Entries

Ever seen a female pope?
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Ever seen a female pope?
    hehehehehe!

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Ekstasis View Post
    I'm not Muslim, so forgive me, but didn't you just answer your own thread question?
    He did, also contradicts the first line from his post too.

/troll thread fail
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

Here we go again...

Super Grandmaster

What are you views on this passage from the bible
    My views are that this passage is not from the bible.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by lafrica View Post
    they (criminals ) are just trying to make a living .

Discussed to death. We all know Islam is sexist. Done and dusted. Moving on.
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

Quote Originally Posted by daveza View Post
    My views are that this passage is not from the bible.
    LOL...sharp sir!

Blog Entries

It reflects the believes held at the time, simple as that.

O and I see your Quran and raise you 1 Timothy 2

1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
    2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
    6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
    7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.
    8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
    9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
    10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
    11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
    15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Banned

Islam is sexist.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Islam is sexist.
    What religion isn't sexist?

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Fudzy View Post
    What religion isn't sexist?
    Buddhism
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by lafrica View Post
    they (criminals ) are just trying to make a living .

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by daveza View Post
    Buddhism
    We need more of them.

It might have been discussed to death, then what is the outcome? Do Muslim men acknowledge the unfair manner in which they treat their women?

Also an opinion from muslim women would be interesting, especially as to why they carry on believing.
    We've been havin it!

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast