Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Thread: Islam, a Sexist Religion?

p.s. I have asked a learned person (Mufti Menk) to respond to the OP, pls be patient

Quote Originally Posted by Fudzy View Post
    What religion isn't sexist?
    Atheism
    Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBug View Post
    Atheism
    Erm Atheism is not a religion, so it does not qualify under the question asked
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Elimentals View Post
    http://firstchurchofatheism.com/faq/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirWolf View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA.... there always have to be one.

I have a problem trying to associate lack of religion as a religion to be honest, but I guess people will always try and a) make money out of everything b) do something just to tick people off.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Elimentals View Post
    I know, just trolling, you know how they love to point out that it's a religion.
    Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

Was wondering when Mineer's friend (Mufti Menk) was going to help us understand Islam
    We've been havin it!

sadly he has not yet responded

There isn't much to respond to really. Sure you could deal with some individual examples referenced by the OP but you are never going to escape the fact that Islam is a sexist religion. The Abrahamic ones all are.

You can't assign gender roles and practices without being sexist. Unless you stop speaking English and use some other definition for the word.
    Last edited by porchrat; 23-05-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

One thing I can say for sure is OP's translation of Quraan is incorrect, secondly if OP was as informed as he portrays himself he would know that one cannot translate directly from Quraan as Quraan was revealed over a period of 13 yrs and different rulings were applicable at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by MR V View Post
    One thing I can say for sure is OP's translation of Quraan is incorrect, secondly if OP was as informed as he portrays himself he would know that one cannot translate directly from Quraan as Quraan was revealed over a period of 13 yrs and different rulings were applicable at different times.
    Huh?
    So one just apply whatever fits the situation?

Quote Originally Posted by joy_Energiser View Post
    Also an opinion from muslim women would be interesting, especially as to why they carry on believing.
    They are not allowed to surf the interweb

Quote Originally Posted by porchrat View Post
    There isn't much to respond to really. Sure you could deal with some individual examples referenced by the OP but you are never going to escape the fact that Islam is a sexist religion. The Abrahamic ones all are.

You can't assign gender roles and practices without being sexist. Unless you stop speaking English and use some other definition for the word.
    True I suppose because soon as assign a specific role to a specific gender then by definition is sexiest. I suppose your earlier quote is best answer then
    Quote Originally Posted by porchrat View Post
    Unequal yes I have managed to on many ocassions get Muslim men to acknowledge that the treatment is unequal. "Unfair" is highly subjective though.
    Last edited by Mineer; 23-05-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raind33r View Post
    They are not allowed to surf the interweb
    Education is compulsory on both male and female
    Last edited by Mineer; 23-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mineer View Post
    True I suppose because soon as assign a specific role to a specific gender then by definition is sexiest. I suppose your earlier quote is best answer then
    Exactly. I actually said it better in that previous post you have quoted.

I personally don't agree with prescribed gender roles. Each person must do what they want screw what some dogma says. If someone willingly submits himself or herself to living within that dogma then I am cool with that. As long as it always remains his/her choice. Unfortunately in many parts of the world this isn't the case and conformity is enforced by law.
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast