Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MTN unlimited Internet advertising misleading: ASA

Default MTN unlimited Internet advertising misleading: ASA

MTN unlimited Internet claims misleading: ASA

The ASA rules against MTN’s use of the term “unlimited Internet” in its uncapped broadband advertising campaigns

Good. Now for rest of them wolves.
    Disclaimer: The use of my free time precludes any reproach
    Latest: There is something terribly wrong

They should take a leaf out of this book (UK)

http://www.plus.net/packages/

Unlimited overnight usage
    Do as much as you like between midnight and 8am without eating into your monthly allowance.
    Sounds like they're (Plus.Net) describing MTN, though they've probably never heard of them (MTN) :

We're fair and square

If you've ever been frustrated because your broadband provider keeps you in the dark,
    we think you'll be happy with us. We speak up, fairly and clearly to give you the full picture.
    If we've messed up, we'll tell you about it and explain what we're doing to fix it, rather than try and hide information.

MTN must have known they could go in with a misleading story and get away with it for a while at least as they know there's a delay within the ASA process. They now have to change their advert but they've already sold the product and made money from the adverts which were found to be misleading.

Why can't mobile operators be straight forward and honest for once when it comes to advertisements.

Quote Originally Posted by HideInLight View Post
    Why can't mobile operators be straight forward and honest for once when it comes to advertisements.
    They did say that the promotion ran for 3 months. thats exactly why i didnt buy it!

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadb...ompared-2.html

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadb...-in-store.html

I think people should try be more informed... unfortunately, not everyone is as savvy as mybb users.

oh well.

Super Grandmaster

now that isnt so ayoba is it mtn!

I downloaded an 800Mb adobe flash builder install in one morning+afternoon on my MTN uncapped lite whilst throttled.
    Steam downloads goes @ 40kilobytes per sec constantly.
    Browsing is fine.
    Yes I'd also like it to be 1mbps, but it's fine, considering what you pay.
    They just throttle torrents to death.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by kolaval View Post
    I downloaded an 800Mb adobe flash builder install in one morning+afternoon on my MTN uncapped lite whilst throttled.
    Steam downloads goes @ 40kilobytes per sec constantly.
    Browsing is fine.
    Yes I'd also like it to be 1mbps, but it's fine, considering what you pay.
    They just throttle torrents to death.
    u do any news server downloading?

Quote Originally Posted by HideInLight View Post
    Do you approve of my editing of your post?
    Last edited by Allin; 17-04-2012 at 08:22 AM.

3 people logged a complaints. Ok, are they total idiots or just morons? I got the Lite and when I signed it was even before the 3 months unlimited speed. MTN states exactly what and how the package can be used, there is no, I repeat NO, small print about this package. I just think that these people are idiots and didnt read anything on their contract.
    And in any case, the capped speed is now 500 in anycase. Still perfect for browsing and downloading. Currently I've already used about 10 gigs for the month, and most things you can live with at the drop down speed.
    I for one is happy with this package.

Quote Originally Posted by unrealchris View Post
    3 people logged a complaints. Ok, are they total idiots or just morons?
    Don't complain about the complainers, they keep MTN etc wary of this sort of thing happening.
    Imagine what bull$h!t they would say in adverts if they knew nobody would complain about it..

Quote Originally Posted by unrealchris View Post
    3 people logged a complaints. Ok, are they total idiots or just morons? I got the Lite and when I signed it was even before the 3 months unlimited speed. MTN states exactly what and how the package can be used, there is no, I repeat NO, small print about this package. I just think that these people are idiots and didnt read anything on their contract.
    I've got this to and I'm happy with it but I fully support them complaining about the misleading ad.

The contracts /fine print all that are fine, I knew what I was getting into before I signed it but its just misleading advertising.

The problem is MTN are saying "Here have unlimited interwebs for 289pm" But when you sign up they say "oh yeah it's unlimited but you can only do 2gb before we limit you."
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodeamus View Post
    … America invaded Iraq so that they could monopolize coca cola and the laundry service. It was a dirty washing war after all.

Grandmaster

It's great that MTN have been tapped on the knuckles, but I see no penalty being imposed. Fact is that they'll continue to do the same sort of "marketing" tricks in the future, simply because there's no financial penalty to pay!

Fine their @sses for misleading the public, and then maybe this sort of thing will stop!

can't MTN just for once show a sense of shame and admit that these ads were misleading, maybe they will appear to the public in good light.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast