Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: New Cybersmart high quality uncapped ADSL service

Its almost a guarantee that they will lock the account to whichever line is handled by them... so it will be a massive "sorry for you" for anyone thinking of using the account on another line.

Grief! It doesn't matter how "high quality" those services are - those prices are insane!

Hmm, I don't think limiting the TCP connections is going to really stop the p2p guys. As much as having a large number for a good p2p torrent to work, that is not stopping people from getting around this, and/or maxing out their line on other downloads. I would not be surprised if this was a short lived limitation, and soon other heavier throttling would also come into it.
    i7 980X 3.33GHz @ 4GHz, Rampage III Gene, Noctua NH-D14, Corsair 12GB DDR3-1600, Asus GTX670 4GB, Corsair 80GB & 240GB SSD, Dual 27" IPS7, W7 64bit.

Quote Originally Posted by B.O.F.H. View Post
    Its almost a guarantee that they will lock the account to whichever line is handled by them... so it will be a massive "sorry for you" for anyone thinking of using the account on another line.
    Yup, this will most certainly be the case as Cybersmart is one of those ISPs that do exactly that. Also this rubbish about having to buy your ADSL line from them? What, so we would have to drop Telkom and then reapply to CS and if we ever wanted to change, go through the whole process again? Not impressed by this offering, Cybersmart you need to get with the times. MWEB has just slapped down the massive proverbial gauntlet and so far only OW has stepped up to the challenge with something similar. Competition is about to get highly aggressive and you need to keep up or you will die out.

Weird that they are offering a 384k account, as that will be irrelevant pretty soon!?

Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    Weird that they are offering a 384k account, as that will be irrelevant pretty soon!?
    Precisely...

What a joke their "high quality" service would be. How does Mr. Fikalov intend to do this when he currently has fools in the callcentre and the people you need to speak to re your account are so clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmcc
    Grief! It doesn't matter how "high quality" those services are - those prices are insane!
    Are they ?

Most uncapped services are shaped and QoS'ed to death, all the ones that aren't are similar prices.

It says in the article that those are the one-price accounts. So yes, they include line rental, like all the other one-price accounts on cybersmarts website.

What does interest me is what will happen when I put my 10 meg line on that 4 meg uncapped ?
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Blog Entries

You know what they say, you can't polish a turd, despite what MythBusters says.

Stay away from Cybersmart for your own good. Beware of their Ts & Cs, though I've been told that these have finally been changed after we (the MyBB) community moaned about it for years.

At first it was ..

Cybersmart is set to launch new uncapped ADSL products with high service levels and competitive prices
    then it was ..

The pricing is not the cheapest on the market, but Fialkov highlighted that their focus is not only on affordability but also on quality.
    LOL

100 tcp connections? wtf!
    My router at home currently has 62 connections live, there's only 2pc's , ipads, iphones running, and we aren't even using the net.
    This is just a stupid idea
    Axxess my new favorite ISP

Good luck to Cybersmart, they are a smaller ISP and have been trying to accommodate uncapped for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by snobee View Post
    Hmm, I don't think limiting the TCP connections is going to really stop the p2p guys. As much as having a large number for a good p2p torrent to work, that is not stopping people from getting around this, and/or maxing out their line on other downloads. I would not be surprised if this was a short lived limitation, and soon other heavier throttling would also come into it.
    Especially since P2P uses UDP which is stateless so you can't limit it.

What this will happily do is break browser pipelining on sites with lots of images and what not, and Skype and all sorts of other stuff. It's probably going to be an epic failkov.

Crazy, just keep to Mweb. My 4mb uncapped adsl is great. Movies download within an hour during the day, what else do I want - oh yes them down in 5 mins would be nice.

I've been a Cybersmart subscriber for around 2 or 3 years now.

Regarding what has been said about customer service - I agree 100%. Their call centre sucks (well, tbh, havent tried it lately, but never had good experiences in the past).

However, I am comfortably using 2 ISPs at once, get my cybersmart email forwarded to my regular email, and haven't had a single problem. Like many have said before, some of those terms are just guidelines more than anything.

Lastly, I'm not a big fan of unlimited internet. I prefer a shaped, uncapped account for maximum speed. And the fact that Cybersmart offers products like "Night Rider", means that they still offer one of the cheapest "non-uncapped" service, if you schedule your downloads correctly.

Sorry if it is a bit off-topic, but just thought it was right to give Cybersmart credit where it is due.
    Looking for cool gadgets/accessories? Check out www.geewiz.co.za

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roguemat View Post
    The solution to making this affordable is simple:
    Find a friend about to get a 384k line, then convince him to let you do it all for him. Get Cybersmart to install the line at his place, and then keep the account for your own 4Mbps line. Now THATS a good deal.

Damn Laurie, you should hire me to do your marketing.
    Came here to say this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast