Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Smart TV - internet requirement

Default Samsung Smart TV - internet requirement

What's the required internet speeds in order to view the view the video content on the Smart TV. The current internet connection being used is MWeb uncapped 384kbps via wifi router, but it gives a message saying the speed is too slow.

This is for my parents new TV and I don't stay nearby. Told them to upgrade to 1mbps because MWeb just dropped their prices. So I'm wondering if the 1mbps line will be sufficient for viewing the videos/clips on the Smart TV? Can't find much info on the net.

Wait till June - all 384Kbps lines will be automatically upgraded to 1Mbps. Search the forum for more info.

No point in waiting when they can get 1mbps speeds right now. If/when Telkom upgrades the lines they can just drop back down to 1mbps.

Main reason for this thread is what speeds are sufficient for using all the Smart TV options like video feed. Any other Smart TV users out there?

Super Grandmaster

First your Wifi router will probably be giving you 54Mbs as long as its got good signal. So that won't be an issue, since your bottleneck will be you ADSL linespeed.

1 Mbps should be sufficient.

However, an average TV episode is ~350Mb for about 42Mins @ a resolution of 480i
    So 350/42 = 8.3 Mb/min or 138Kbs
    The 1Mbps give you a download speed of 128Kbs Max (shaping and real world conditions will limit that.)

So realistically it's going to have to buffer so you wont get a seemless stream, a 2Mb line will obviously give you a much better viewing experience.

But Youtube and such should be fine depending on the quality too
    nothing to see here move along....

Quote Originally Posted by GforceD View Post
    First your Wifi router will probably be giving you 54Mbs as long as its got good signal. So that won't be an issue, since your bottleneck will be you ADSL linespeed.

However, an average TV episode is ~350Mb for about 42Mins @ a resolution of 480i
    So 350/42 = 8.3 Mb/min or 138Kbs
    The 1Mbps give you a download speed of 128Kbs Max (shaping and real world conditions will limit that.)

So realistically it's going to have to buffer so you wont get a seemless stream, a 2Mb line will obviously give you a much better viewing experience.

Good explanation there guy

Master

Default ADSL LAN connection to Smart TV

The best solution (if possible) is to run a Cat 6 LAN cable from the ADSL router to the LAN port at the back of the TV set, thereby giving the maximum data throughput available on your ADSL line to the TV set, as the Wi-Fi connection is FAR slower (802.11g is only 54Mb/s maximum with a proportional decrease over distance) whereas CAT 6 cable can be run for up to 100m before requiring signal amplification.
    Last edited by Ivan Leon; 18-04-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Good explanation GforceD, but you are confusing your bits and bytes. As a rule, bytes are specified with capital letters, bits with lower case in abbreviations. With that in mind, the following is the corrected version:

Quote Originally Posted by GforceD View Post

However, an average TV episode is ~350MB for about 42Mins @ a resolution of 480i
    So 350/42 = 8.3 MB/min or 138KB/s
    The 1Mbps give you a download speed of 128KB/s Max (shaping and real world conditions will limit that.)

Also, realistically you shouldn't expect more than 90kB/s from a 1Mbit line. So to answer your question succinctly: No, a 1Mbit line won't be sufficient for buffer-free streaming.

As for the suggestion to run a cable, it probably won't make a difference unless your wireless signal is so weak that the transfer rate drops to below 1Mbit/s. Best bet would be to try and stream something to the TV from a local networked PC connected via wired connection to the wifi router. If it plays fine, you don't need to run a cable between the router and TV.

Quote Originally Posted by LazerFazer View Post
    Good explanation GforceD, but you are confusing your bits and bytes. As a rule, bytes are specified with capital letters, bits with lower case in abbreviations. With that in mind, the following is the corrected version:

Also, realistically you shouldn't expect more than 90kB/s from a 1Mbit line. So to answer your question succinctly: No, a 1Mbit line won't be sufficient for buffer-free streaming.

As for the suggestion to run a cable, it probably won't make a difference unless your wireless signal is so weak that the transfer rate drops to below 1Mbit/s. Best bet would be to try and stream something to the TV from a local networked PC connected via wired connection to the wifi router. If it plays fine, you don't need to run a cable between the router and TV.

From my experience 110kB/s is the max, not 90, just saying. Maybe phone or email Samsung and ask for specifics?
    =====
    If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down. What if they screamed all the time for no reason?
    =====

Thanks for the advice. Will wait for them to try it out with a 1mbps connection.

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanZ View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Will wait for them to try it out with a 1mbps connection.
    By video content do you mean Explore 3D? If so then you need full 4Mbps running perfectly, probably 6Mbps to be comfortable (no chance of buffering). Youtube a bit less, but not much as the Samsung app still selects 720p res by default if available.

Bottom line 1Mbps is not really going to cut it.
    Last edited by Roman4604; 18-04-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Still here ... FTL drives offline

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Leon View Post
    The best solution (if possible) is to run a Cat 6 LAN cable from the ADSL router to the LAN port at the back of the TV set, thereby giving the maximum data throughput available on your ADSL line to the TV set, as the Wi-Fi connection is FAR slower (802.11g is only 54Mb/s maximum with a proportional decrease over distance) whereas CAT 6 cable can be run for up to 100m before requiring signal amplification.
    Rather just use normal CAT 5e, that 100Mb port on the back of the tv does not warrant a CAT 6 cable, unless you get the cables for the same price...

Tried the SmartTv on 1MB line. Will work but sometimes it pause to buffer. Explore3D even buffers on a uncapped 4MB line from Mweb.

Although all the rest including Netflix works seamlessly on a 4MB line. I even canceled my DSTV.

Master

My suggestion to run CAT6 cabling was merely to future proof the installation if new Smart TV or ADSL hardware becomes available with Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports at a later stage, so that another cable run is not needed again.

If cost is a factor, then CAT5e cable is the cheaper alternative, as you suggested.

Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar

For streaming, the rule of thumb is get the fastest line you can. 4Mbit should be your starting point.
    Praise Zeus!

Someone already mentioned it earlier, but it is worth repeating - wifi, even at 54 mbps, is more than adequate. The bottleneck will be at the internet connection not the internal network. I'd agree with DrJohnZoldberg in that faster is better. 384kbps is definitely not going to cut it, 1mbps could work and 4mbps should be fine.

My suggestion is that they upgrade to the 1mbps to see if it works and if it doesn't they could always just upgrade again. Another option would be to look at one of the 3G packages. I have the 8ta 10GB special at home and stream a lot of sport to my laptop via it.
    In South Africa even the information superhighway has potholes in it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast