Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samsung Smart TV - internet requirement

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Leon View Post
    My suggestion to run CAT6 cabling was merely to future proof the installation if new Smart TV or ADSL hardware becomes available with Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports at a later stage, so that another cable run is not needed again.

If cost is a factor, then CAT5e cable is the cheaper alternative, as you suggested.
    CAT5e works 100% on GB speeds as well, but yes, always good idea if you want to future proof it.

Edit: Got one of the Smart TV's two days ago, my 4Mb line does not cut it either way to slow unfortunately. (Capped Unshaped non-throttled account...)
    Last edited by ShawnStar; 19-04-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnStar View Post
    Edit: Got one of the Smart TV's two days ago, my 4Mb line does not cut it either way to slow unfortunately. (Capped Unshaped non-throttled account...)
    I've heard a few people with this :/

How does it work that it's slower?
    Does Youtube stream on a PC?
    http://www.riverbed.com/

Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Super Grandmaster

The best solution (if possible) is to run a Cat 6 LAN cable from the ADSL router to the LAN port at the back of the TV set, thereby giving the maximum data throughput available on your ADSL line to the TV set, as the Wi-Fi connection is FAR slower (802.11g is only 54Mb/s maximum with a proportional decrease over distance) whereas CAT 6 cable can be run for up to 100m before requiring signal amplification.
    CAT6 is over kill considering our ADSL speeds., wireless trumps our ADSL speeds currently - the only way ethernet would benefit is if you're pulling movies off a home server

My suggestion to run CAT6 cabling was merely to future proof the installation if new Smart TV or ADSL hardware becomes available with Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports at a later stage, so that another cable run is not needed again.

If cost is a factor, then CAT5e cable is the cheaper alternative, as you suggested.
    Future-proof in IT? No such thing.

e.g. You're assuming when a newer TV comes along - Ethernet will be the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolby View Post

It's not slower, it's just that the quality (bitrate) of video it requests is higher. If your line can handle 720p off YouTube to a PC without buffering, the TV shouldnt either.

Explore 3D is another story, the quality (bitrate) of the videos are higher than YouTube.
    Still here ... FTL drives offline

Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    CAT6 is over kill considering our ADSL speeds., wireless trumps our ADSL speeds currently - the only way ethernet would benefit is if you're pulling movies off a home server
    I agree. Cat6 is overkill for any home installation really, unless you have a really big home. You will not notice a difference between cat5e and cat6 in a installation of this size, unless you have some serious electrical interference problems in your house.
    Praise Zeus!

Quote Originally Posted by Roman4604 View Post
    It's not slower, it's just that the quality (bitrate) of video it requests is higher. If your line can handle 720p off YouTube to a PC without buffering, the TV shouldnt either
    Ah - makes sense!

They should make the TV determine line speed then adjust accordingly. I'm sure my Samsung BR get's a the crappiest quality on my 1mbps - but it doesn't buffer :P
    http://www.riverbed.com/

Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by DrJohnZoidberg View Post
    I agree. Cat6 is overkill for any home installation really, unless you have a really big home. You will not notice a difference between cat5e and cat6 in a installation of this size, unless you have some serious electrical interference problems in your house.
    I'm running CAT5e throughout my house, recent install, purely because I got tired of fighting with my crimping tool at CAT6 cable and missing pins, I have yet to have a problem playing HD content (some as big as 30GB) in any of the rooms - sometimes simultaneously.

And most of the house is 12v transformer down-lights... so I'd imagine interference is high.

To the bedroom I'm actually using wireless - still need to get round to re-cabling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
    I've heard a few people with this :/

Youtube works 100% on the default video quality settings, but as soon as it gets to 720P it also buffers every now and then unfortunately. (On the PC)

Will test some more, I only fiddled for 10 minutes
    Last edited by ShawnStar; 19-04-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12