Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast

Thread: Mweb 1mb Uncapped or Openweb Gold/Silver??

Mweb 1mbps is ideal if you want your line + account bundled together.

Good Day Everyone

I know many people have already asked this question, but I don't seem to find the right answer that i'm looking for...
    Just recently Mweb dropped thier price, and Openweb came back with a fast response to their prices as well..

I'm currently with Cybersmart, and because i've been with them for few years, I was able to get an Uncapped-Shaped 1Mbps line offer from them.
    Sure...first 2 - 3 months, the line speed is quite satisfying, doing around 110kb/s during the day and night - for file sharing sites, but around 60kb/s - for torrents.

Recently, because i'm a moderate downloader, around 80 - 90GB per month on a 1Mbps line, Cybersmart has been throttling my account heavily!!! Being throttled 24/7, I will have to NOT download anything for like a month or two in order to get out of the "Throttle Pool" OR to do a TOPUP to bring down my over usage.
    Because of this, I can't download much, and can't surf the web or stream Youtube normally...takes forever to load.

I've been thinking to change my ISP for a while now, and because of the price drop opportunity I want to change at the end of the month!
    Currently paying about R332 for this package EXCLUDE the 1Mbps line rental...

So Please help me out here...I can't make up my mind on which to choose, Mweb uncapped or the OpenWeb Silver account.

This is what I'm looking for:

1) Want to know which account that won't penalise/throttle you for downloading too much (about 100gb/month?)
    Since I leave the computer on to download through out the day, sometimes for a few days.

2) Don't mind that I won't get full line speed during office hours, since I understand the strain it cause on traffic, but atleast be able to browse email, stream some video, open webpages smoothly during day, but get FULL line speed or as close after hours~

3) I don't do much online gaming, but once games such as Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 and such are out, I want to be able to play it without many problems, as low as the latency can go for the line~
    The package that i'm using now, keeps losing connection when i'm playing online!

4) Would like to stick to 1Mbps line package, and with a budget around R200+/- for data only
    Even though I have a feeling that my DSL line price might change when I cancel with Cybersmart.

I really do apologize for such a long and boring post~ But will appreciate if you take some time to help me out here.

Kind Regards
    Key

I am currently using a 1Mbps Lite Uncapped from Openweb for R191 and it is maxing out my 1Mbps line on torrents.

To be honest, I was a little hesitant at first, because I used to be on Gold. I am pleasantly surprised. OW definitely has a winner here!

http://www.openweb.co.za/lite_uncapped.html

Quote Originally Posted by keymaster View Post
    Good Day Everyone

I know many people have already asked this question, but I don't seem to find the right answer that i'm looking for...
    Just recently Mweb dropped thier price, and Openweb came back with a fast response to their prices as well..

I'm currently with Cybersmart, and because i've been with them for few years, I was able to get an Uncapped-Shaped 1Mbps line offer from them.
    Sure...first 2 - 3 months, the line speed is quite satisfying, doing around 110kb/s during the day and night - for file sharing sites, but around 60kb/s - for torrents.

Recently, because i'm a moderate downloader, around 80 - 90GB per month on a 1Mbps line, Cybersmart has been throttling my account heavily!!! Being throttled 24/7, I will have to NOT download anything for like a month or two in order to get out of the "Throttle Pool" OR to do a TOPUP to bring down my over usage.
    Because of this, I can't download much, and can't surf the web or stream Youtube normally...takes forever to load.

I've been thinking to change my ISP for a while now, and because of the price drop opportunity I want to change at the end of the month!
    Currently paying about R332 for this package EXCLUDE the 1Mbps line rental...

So Please help me out here...I can't make up my mind on which to choose, Mweb uncapped or the OpenWeb Silver account.

This is what I'm looking for:

1) Want to know which account that won't penalise/throttle you for downloading too much (about 100gb/month?)
    Since I leave the computer on to download through out the day, sometimes for a few days.

2) Don't mind that I won't get full line speed during office hours, since I understand the strain it cause on traffic, but atleast be able to browse email, stream some video, open webpages smoothly during day, but get FULL line speed or as close after hours~

3) I don't do much online gaming, but once games such as Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 and such are out, I want to be able to play it without many problems, as low as the latency can go for the line~
    The package that i'm using now, keeps losing connection when i'm playing online!

4) Would like to stick to 1Mbps line package, and with a budget around R200+/- for data only
    Even though I have a feeling that my DSL line price might change when I cancel with Cybersmart.

I really do apologize for such a long and boring post~ But will appreciate if you take some time to help me out here.

Kind Regards
    Key

Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    I am currently using a 1Mbps Lite Uncapped from Openweb for R191 and it is maxing out my 1Mbps line on torrents.

To be honest, I was a little hesitant at first, because I used to be on Gold. I am pleasantly surprised. OW definitely has a winner here!

http://www.openweb.co.za/lite_uncapped.html
    Thanks for the fast response!

How are their usage regulations? And are you a heavy downloader? Because the most important thing for me is to have a smooth connection while knocking myself out with the downloads~

Kind Regards
    Key

What is the download speed reduced to during the day on Mwebs 1meg account?

i do around 85GB's a month, so I wont call myself heavy, rather medium. Basically, anything from 17:00 and weekends is always full speed from my experience.

Thanks for the fast response!

How are their usage regulations? And are you a heavy downloader? Because the most important thing for me is to have a smooth connection while knocking myself out with the downloads~

Kind Regards
    Key

Quote Originally Posted by Rands View Post
    What is the download speed reduced to during the day on Mwebs 1meg account?
    As well as the OpenWebs 1meg accounts (lite/standard/silver)

Kind Regards
    Key

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbob1979 View Post
    To be honest, I've had shaping on Mweb during the day on torrents (but that is to be expected).

Otherwise, at night and over the weekends its solid. I've downloaded 87Gb at home via torrents and normal surfing and downloading so far this month - with 257638GB in March alone without any complaints, hassles or other issues with MWEB.

They are (in my opinion) the best value for money and performance offer out there. I'm proud to be an MWEB customer
    257GB in 1 month, on a 1mb line??
    Reliable ISP wanted
    Have money
    Will pay

Quote Originally Posted by reactor_sa View Post
    257GB in 1 month, on a 1mb line??
    Lol, I doubt that is possible...has to be at least 4mb line~

i do around 85GB's a month, so I wont call myself heavy, rather medium. Basically, anything from 17:00 and weekends is always full speed from my experience.
    Just something what I really wanted to hear, so will the Silver account be even smoother for online gaming?

BTW, i'm still loading the page link that you've send me for the 1 meg lite...after numerous refresh

Kind Regards
    Key

Super Grandmaster

Lol, I doubt that is possible...has to be at least 4mb line~

Just something what I really wanted to hear, so will the Silver account be even smoother for online gaming?

BTW, i'm still loading the page link that you've send me for the 1 meg lite...after numerous refresh

Kind Regards
    Key

The lite account is nice for gaming, but a nightmare for downloading. I tried it and frustration took me back to gold.
    Gaming on OW accounts are dependent on the backbone - some are nice for gaming, some aren't.
    Gaming on Mweb is epic, but this is because they give gaming a high priority on the network. Downloading is a breeze too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

+1 for MWEB. They are the true innovators, OW just keeps up (and good on them for doing so) but overall MWEB is a lot more professional. I have also had very little issues with MWEB that weren't a countrywide thing affecting other ISPs whereas I had countless issues with OW when I was with them.

I see, I see...
    MWeb seems to be getting more votes these days, but I thought last year after the new usage policies they have become a problem for downloaders?

Because my main focus is more on downloading than gaming...So might take Mweb for a try

Kind Regards
    Aaron
    Last edited by keymaster; 19-04-2012 at 05:50 AM.

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

I say stick to Openweb gold if you want something decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwikslver View Post
    I say stick to Openweb gold if you want something decent.
    OW Gold is out of the budget~ Else I wouldn't hesitate to get it...

Kind Regards
    Key

Quote Originally Posted by sh3rIIf View Post
    MWEB!
    my torrents alone reach about 150GB per month but can probably reach over 200GB if i leave my pc on
    yes there is shaping during office hours but can't say that it affects gaming or normal browsing that much(not that i game or browse too often during office hours)
    I also get about 120-150Gb per month on a 1Mbps line and switch my laptop off all day (except weekends).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast