Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast

Thread: Mweb 1mb Uncapped or Openweb Gold/Silver??

Super Grandmaster

telkom line and just mweb for the package, if you sign 3month contract at mweb before 30 april you get a free adsl modem
    Clevo P150HM ,I7 2720QM , 1080P 95% gamut display , 8GB 1333mhz ,Blueray rom ,750gb 7200RPM ,GTX 485M 675/1600
    Dell 29 inch ultrasharp.

Everybody here raves about Mweb so much. Usually it is due to a lack of knowledge on any other ISP's. I used to be at Mweb, and I mainly download from Rapidshare and similar http upload services. I also play games online. With Mweb my downloads got shaped so badly that my downloads actually terminated, and gave me an error message that said the download was forcefully closed by the host. It got so bad that at a stage I went to Hellopeter.com to complain. Some techie phoned me, but couldn't actually do much, as he explained that the shaping is automated, and cannot be changed. I am an IT techie myself, and made dead sure that every single possibility of trouble from my side was eliminated.

I then went to Openweb, and got the Openweb gold 384kbps package. The difference is like day and night! Have been with Openweb for prob about a year or more now, and will never go back to Mweb. On Openweb gold you get a much better contention ratio. You can also choose a backbone, and if one is giving you trouble you can ask to get shifted to another backbone, until you settle on the one that suits your specific needs. When you are with Mweb you actually follow the same route (going through the same proxies etc.) to connect as millions of other people. Mweb's aggressive advertising strategy makes people think that they must join them since biggest is usually best right? Wrong.. Much worse contention ratio.

I've had times where I had a problem with my internet account by Openweb, but then I've sms'ed there sms helpline at 10pm, and within half an hour they sent me new account details. My friend has 4mb uncapped by mweb, and the pings he gets from Battlefield 3 are higher than my 384kbps Gold uncapped by Openweb. I do not notice any throttling, and have full speeds at all time.

Think twice before listening to all the brainwashed people that are too scared of trying an ISP other than Mweb!

Quote Originally Posted by spacemonkeyj View Post
    Everybody here raves about Mweb so much. Usually it is due to a lack of knowledge on any other ISP's.
    Or maybe they're actually happy with the service. I've done about 300GB's this month and also game online (BF3). Haven't had a problem yet.

Speak for yourself, not others.

Everybody here raves about Mweb so much. Usually it is due to a lack of knowledge on any other ISP's. I used to be at Mweb, and I mainly download from Rapidshare and similar http upload services. I also play games online. With Mweb my downloads got shaped so badly that my downloads actually terminated, and gave me an error message that said the download was forcefully closed by the host. It got so bad that at a stage I went to Hellopeter.com to complain. Some techie phoned me, but couldn't actually do much, as he explained that the shaping is automated, and cannot be changed. I am an IT techie myself, and made dead sure that every single possibility of trouble from my side was eliminated.

I then went to Openweb, and got the Openweb gold 384kbps package. The difference is like day and night! Have been with Openweb for prob about a year or more now, and will never go back to Mweb. On Openweb gold you get a much better contention ratio. You can also choose a backbone, and if one is giving you trouble you can ask to get shifted to another backbone, until you settle on the one that suits your specific needs. When you are with Mweb you actually follow the same route (going through the same proxies etc.) to connect as millions of other people. Mweb's aggressive advertising strategy makes people think that they must join them since biggest is usually best right? Wrong.. Much worse contention ratio.

I've had times where I had a problem with my internet account by Openweb, but then I've sms'ed there sms helpline at 10pm, and within half an hour they sent me new account details. My friend has 4mb uncapped by mweb, and the pings he gets from Battlefield 3 are higher than my 384kbps Gold uncapped by Openweb. I do not notice any throttling, and have full speeds at all time.

Think twice before listening to all the brainwashed people that are too scared of trying an ISP other than Mweb!
    Not sure what you did but ive been downloading at 43kb/s 18hours a day and when im not downloading I play loads of online games without lag.

Except for today, my line stopped syncing 2am this morning. Lodged fault , now just waiting on telkom

Blog Entries

Brainwashed? Don't be a moron.

I'm not dissing Openweb here, just pointing out that you can get a 1MB uncapped data account from MWEB for a hundred bucks cheaper than the Openweb 384 gold uncapped.

And trust me, you'll be able to download WAY more on the MWEB.

If you pay extra for a service, in any case, why do you seem surprised that it is faster? That's a bit of a durrr, isn't it?

Lastly, I can empathise with your experience, luckily though, since the upgrade MWEB did a while ago, they have been nothing short of fabulous. Stick with whomever you prefer, but why do you feel the need to crow about it, and call people brainwashed?
    Behind every dark cloud lies the sun, waiting to boil you alive.
    *girds loins*

Super Grandmaster

April 25, 2012 1528.4 8767.3 10295.7

there 1mb package, no shaping there :P
    Clevo P150HM ,I7 2720QM , 1080P 95% gamut display , 8GB 1333mhz ,Blueray rom ,750gb 7200RPM ,GTX 485M 675/1600
    Dell 29 inch ultrasharp.

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    Nothing wrong with the rest of your post, but I'm confused about this part. How can you know for sure? I've seen full line speed on OW Gold 24/7 for the 3 weeks that I've been using it. I'm not sure that the same can be said about Mweb, where it's shaped during office hours, the severity of which depends on the network load.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    I am a tool

Grandmaster

Hi spacemonkey,

You from KZN perhaps? If not, ignore the rest of this reply.

M-Web had a problem about a year ago. I was with them also, and my speeds were crap so I went to OW, only because of speeds. However, if you read the very long M-Web thread, you will notice that they have sorted the problems down here.

I'm on the IS backbone and in March I did over 90GB on my 384 account. So I have no reason to move.

I would still recommend M-Web and Openweb. In the end of the day it boils down to personal choice and not brainwashing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    Nothing wrong with the rest of your post, but I'm confused about this part. How can you know for sure? I've seen full line speed on OW Gold 24/7 for the 3 weeks that I've been using it. I'm not sure that the same can be said about Mweb, where it's shaped during office hours, the severity of which depends on the network load.
    I was comparing the 1024 to the 384, which makes no sense, which was my point, as this is always a price dependant decision, and the person I was responding to was comparing apples and oranges already.

MWEB 1024 can easily kick the pants off the theoretical maximum of a full speed 384 line, in my experience.
    *girds loins*

Quote Originally Posted by Randhir View Post
    Or maybe they're actually happy with the service. I've done about 300GB's this month and also game online (BF3). Haven't had a problem yet.

Speak for yourself, not others.
    I am not speaking for others. I am merely stating what experience I had with Mweb. Does it make sense to you at all that you are most likely sharing the same proxy with everybody around you? That if you do a traceroute on your computer, and the neighbour's computer, and most likely most of your neighbour's neighbour's computers, you'll notice that you are going through more or less the same routes? Reason will be because chances are that almost everybody around you use Mweb too! That includes people that do not know much about the internet, but they decided to go to Mweb because of their huge advertising campaigns. You are also stuck with the backbone you are using, and because there are so much more people using the same routes as you, it will show congestion for longer hours in the day. This all makes sense if you think about it a bit.

If you are using Mweb, and you are happy with it, so be it! I'm not taking anything away from you, or trying to diss the service you are using. I was just stating my experience with them, and also using my knowledge to come to a conclusion. I am no Openweb fanboy, but base solely on my experience I can recommend them fully!

In the end of the day it boils down to personal choice and not brainwashing.
    Definitely, but the question has been posed, and I have answered as best I can. Brainwashing was obviously a offensive term to some, but I only meant that they advertise so much more, that the average person would try them first... Advertising...

pjjdp

Hi spacemonkey,

You from KZN perhaps? If not, ignore the rest of this reply.
    Not from KZN.. From Randburg.

copacetic

Brainwashed? Don't be a moron.
    You are the moron if you think you can download WAY more with Mweb.. Certain things might work well, others won't, and there won't be anything you can do about it!

I have used both. ask your self the question do you like changing user-names every second day?

If not stick with MWEB, I spent more time rebooting and changing user-names and back bones with open-web gold.

Blog Entries

You are the moron if you think you can download WAY more with Mweb.. Certain things might work well, others won't, and there won't be anything you can do about it!

If you are going to go to the effort of responding to me, I'd ask you respond to the totality of what I said.
    *girds loins*

Super Grandmaster

I am not speaking for others. I am merely stating what experience I had with Mweb. Does it make sense to you at all that you are most likely sharing the same proxy with everybody around you? That if you do a traceroute on your computer, and the neighbour's computer, and most likely most of your neighbour's neighbour's computers, you'll notice that you are going through more or less the same routes? Reason will be because chances are that almost everybody around you use Mweb too! That includes people that do not know much about the internet, but they decided to go to Mweb because of their huge advertising campaigns. You are also stuck with the backbone you are using, and because there are so much more people using the same routes as you, it will show congestion for longer hours in the day. This all makes sense if you think about it a bit.

If you are using Mweb, and you are happy with it, so be it! I'm not taking anything away from you, or trying to diss the service you are using. I was just stating my experience with them, and also using my knowledge to come to a conclusion. I am no Openweb fanboy, but base solely on my experience I can recommend them fully!

Definitely, but the question has been posed, and I have answered as best I can. Brainwashing was obviously a offensive term to some, but I only meant that they advertise so much more, that the average person would try them first... Advertising...

pjjdp

Not from KZN.. From Randburg.

copacetic

You love bitching and trolling, don't you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Nomad View Post
    I have used both. ask your self the question do you like changing user-names every second day?
    If not stick with MWEB, I spent more time rebooting and changing user-names and back bones with open-web gold.
    Same here. Was with OW for two years before cancelling, couldn't justify the "Gold" anymore. Awesome product, bar the necessity of changing backbones all too often. With Mweb now and I see nothing other than amazing performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    If you are going to go to the effort of responding to me, I'd ask you respond to the totality of what I said.
    But he's trolling... he will only respond to what he can troll to
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Quote Originally Posted by froot View Post
    You love bitching and trolling, don't you...

Same here. Was with OW for two years before cancelling, couldn't justify the "Gold" anymore. Awesome product, bar the necessity of changing backbones all too often. With Mweb now and I see nothing other than amazing performance.

But he's trolling... he will only respond to what he can troll to
    Look who go offended by me stating facts. How am I trolling? You are clearly offended, and responding by trying to provoke me! That is what trolling is you idiot! Did I get offended earlier? No. I was explaining what I have experienced. You started using words like bitching and trolling. As a narcassistic Mweb user you have decided that anything anybody says about your holy connection will be met with a aggressive response. My post was informative, and relevant to this post. The only relevant point you raised in your beautifully constructed written diarrhea, is that with Openweb you change backbones too much! Well, I can keep my backbone as long as I want to, and with one sms, I can change it. I've had my same username and backbone for quite a few months now. I am not offended by you discussing Openweb connections. I expect anybody participating in this thread to do the same.

I was with OW for 2 years as well... Had a Lite account that got shaped so badly it was unusable. I was advised to go for the Gold account as it best suited my requirements. Forked out the extra cash and downloads were awesome - if you don't mind having to mail the CEO when downloads start to crawl every 3 weeks or so. You then get moved from one backbone to the next until you get the download speeds you are paying for. It ended for me one weekend, when, after being moved through all 3 backbones still resulted in 20-30kbps max. , I was told they had accommodated me enough and referred me to Telkom to log a fault on my line - that after showing them that I was getting full line speed on my Telkom account. There was also the 'If we did not respond to your mail, we did not receive it' fiasco. 5 e-mails were ignored completely / 'not received' until I posted a complaint on MyBB.

I ended the 2 year relationship based on principle- I am entitled to what I pay for. Within 15 minutes, Mweb had me up and running at full line speed - on the same line OW claimed I should report to Telkom as being faulty. So far - excellent download speeds. No complaints at all from my side. It's also nice knowing you have support staff to actually SPEAK to, rather than mailing admin and cc'ing CEO and hoping they 'receive your complaint'.
    Last edited by subxero; 27-04-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast