Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: Lions might break away

SARU caused all the Kings headaches so they can pay whatever it will cost Lions to play in Europe. Lions will then solve SARU's problem for them. Lions should offer to abandon S15 in exchange for SARU fin support to play in Europe. Bokke will benefit as players will be available for selection that are used to European conditions. Lions will retain players as it will be attractive to play in Europe.
    What you do is your history. What you set in motion is your legacy. - Leonard Sweet

Don't forget, some of our teams have toured to England for pre-Super12/Super14 clashes. So, we have some experience playing their teams, and they were in a sense open to playing our teams. It might help our argument, or it might not. But they have been accepting in playing our teams. We need to see if they will go beyond that.

S15 is too big, too long and too stale. It is also impacting negatively on international rugby tours.

It should revert to the Super10. 3 top finishers in each provincial competition plus 1. This 1 could wither be an Argentinian side or there could be a 3-way play off for the 10th spot.

Fewer provincial games and more international games. It is time we undertook proper LONG tours, e.g. France, Italy, the UK, etc.
    Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
    -George Eliot (1819-1880)

I also wish we could see proper long tours return. Tri Nations is rubbish. S15 is rubbish. Who still cares who wins these tournaments? Not me. Kings should never have bothered with S15 and Lions should jump ship as soon as European option looks viable. They can take Griquas, Boland and other teams with them to Europe and let the old dogs fight it out for a title losing its lustre faster than a Harley runs out of gas.
    What you do is your history. What you set in motion is your legacy. - Leonard Sweet

I really don't care for Ozzie and NZ regional teams. I would far rather see top European clubs play our teams. See the Saffas playing for European teams play against our teams. Fresh. Heck man, someone must make this happen sooner rather than later.

Super rugby was awesome until they changed the format. This emphasis on home derbies is a load of crap, cause watching NZ and Aussie teams contest their respective "home derbies" has far less appeal for me as a South African spectator and biseversa.
    Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger

We would destroy every European team. That *** they play up there is pathetic, might as well send out u19 team.

We are rated higher than them for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by InternetSwag View Post
    We would destroy every European team. That *** they play up there is pathetic, might as well send out u19 team.

We are rated higher than them for a reason.
    I think if we were to play the teams in the Heineken Cup you would be in for a rude awakening with that opinion....

They play bloody good rugby, and its very different from ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Yeah I suppose it's true, our baby bok team lost to some European team back at the end of the year tour in 2009.

same ****ers that beat the British & Irish Lions lost to Leicester.

Under European conditions those teams play good rugby. We will not walk over them there. In SA possibly yes. Irish teams are very hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    It should revert to the Super10. 3 top finishers in each provincial competition plus 1. This 1 could wither be an Argentinian side or there could be a 3-way play off for the 10th spot.
    Problem is the Aussies do not have provincial rugby.....
    |Bebamos y divirtámonos que mañana moriremos.
    |Melior morior bellator, quam ago profugus.
    |Nemo saltat sobrius.

Joziburg. Home Of Broadband Sloth Racing...
    Blog Entries

Good luck to The Lions. It's not like they're contributing anything of importance here, which in itself is a pity. Good to see that even The Lions agree that The Heineken Cup is a league below Super Rugby...
    Internet the way it was meant to be. Launch details will become Crystal Clear very soon...

Quote Originally Posted by rakabos3 View Post
    SA teams join a second tier competition? NO THANKS
    I agree, I doubt they would be able to compete there either.

I love this idea, the rugby will be played from November (post CC) up to April in burst. This means having some rugby to watch in the off season. Would be good for Supersport and sponsors. I (Stormer) would definitely root for the SA team and watch your games. Enough flights from Europe to Joburg makes this less a logistical problem. Sure a lot of European players would not mind to much spending some summer time in SA.

Our SANZAR partners will then really take notice of this.

This is the only win win solution I see given that the Kings will play.

Hopefully this move will enable a complete breakaway from SANZAR, and then hopefully the IRB will consider creating an international season for all rugby. instead of deviding it up into two hemispheres.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast