Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: How to activate my iPhone

Default How to activate my iPhone

I got my iPhone 4 yesterday, with a MTN micro sim. I put the sim in the phone and waited 24 hours for the sim to activate. This afternoon when I switched on the phone, it says no service in the left top corner. So I can't do anything with the phone. I phoned MTN, and got transferred and referred all over the place. They say my sim has been active since yesterday, and no one seems to know what the problem is. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Have you tried removing the SIM card and putting it in another phone just to test that the SIM card is not damaged?

Blog Entries

Try and remove the SIM, make sure it's put in the tray correctly, and re-instert it. And restart your phone too.

Also, like MadHawk says, if you can try it in another phone that would be ideal. But try the above first.
    Apple fans! Head over to iPhoneZA for more advice and Apple news
    Link: http://iPhoneZA.co.za

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote Originally Posted by LeonaTruter View Post
    I got my iPhone 4 yesterday, with a MTN micro sim. I put the sim in the phone and waited 24 hours for the sim to activate. This afternoon when I switched on the phone, it says no service in the left top corner. So I can't do anything with the phone. I phoned MTN, and got transferred and referred all over the place. They say my sim has been active since yesterday, and no one seems to know what the problem is. Any ideas what might be wrong?
    is your old SIM still active?
    if yes then the answer is MTN hasn't activated your new SIM as both shouldn't work at the same time.
    Some times the internet is so slow, it would be faster to just fly to Google's headquarters and ask them this $h1t in person.!

My phone sometimes shows "No Service" as well, think it's an MTN issue more than it is the sim really. Upgraded to 4S about 3 months ago. Was worried they got the billing wrong or something and cut me off. Restarted the phone and it picked up the signal again. Not sure WTF is going on. At least my comms are usually through my wireless internet

Hi All, thanks for the replies. I inserted my sim in my partner's phone and the sim worked, and then we put his sim in my phone, and is said No Service. So I think it's the phone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeonaTruter View Post
    Hi All, thanks for the replies. I inserted my sim in my partner's phone and the sim worked, and then we put his sim in my phone, and is said No Service. So I think it's the phone.
    Hmm ok. Before you return, try Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

Don't think you connected it to iTunes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
    Don't think you connected it to iTunes
    Quite right - @OP - have you activated the phone yet in iTunes by plugging it into your computer? Can you use the phone/get to the home screen yet?

Default How to activate my iPhone

Make sure you running iOS 5.1. If you still have the "no service" problem then it's probably the phone.

Was it an upgrade from existing phone+SIM?

Had to go into a store to get that sorted. SIM swap. They wouldn't do it over the phone.
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Each account is allocated to only 1 x user.