Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Split Heat pump and Geyser

Default Split Heat pump and Geyser

Got a quote to install a split heat pump and geyser from a company called Homecomfort.

Total 17710 (subsidy included). 200L Geyser.

Has anyone dealt with this company before - any good bad stories etc.

Also got a quote from a private plumber for 20K (same setup) so does seem sort of in range. Is this a good price?

TIA.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Got a quote to install a split heat pump and geyser from a company called Homecomfort.

Total 17710 (subsidy included). 200L Geyser.

Has anyone dealt with this company before - any good bad stories etc.

Also got a quote from a private plumber for 20K (same setup) so does seem sort of in range. Is this a good price?

TIA.

Why the need for a heat pump?
    - Insert Signature Here -

Quote Originally Posted by StonerStuart View Post
    Why the need for a heat pump?
    We looking at a non-solar solution and was advised to look at a heat pump option also supposed to save on electricity. I have to replace my 30yr old geyser that is till measured in gallons - so just getting all the options.

Grandmaster

We looking at a non-solar solution and was advised to look at a heat pump option also supposed to save on electricity. I have to replace my 30yr old geyser that is till measured in gallons - so just getting all the options.
    Why the non-solar route if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by StonerStuart View Post
    Why the non-solar route if I may ask?
    Not too partial to solar panels - risk of hail damage - maintenance etc and I am not 100% sure but I dont think insurance covers it - could be wrong here though - takes longer to heat up then a heat pump. With the heat pump you also get to control the temp etc via a control panel. Still doing research.

From the website:

Key Benefits
    uses up to 70% less household energy in heating your water - costing you less
    quiet operation, with no unsightly solar collectors on the roof
    compact and easy to install plug in system
    can be retro-fitted to existing geysers
    can be used in conjunction with solar heaters
    fully automatic control with adjustable water temperature setting
    Cool air created as a by-product can be used to ventilate your home environmentally responsible – extremely energy efficient, with no Greenhouse Gas emissions

Grandmaster

Not too partial to solar panels - risk of hail damage - maintenance etc and I am not 100% sure but I dont think insurance covers it - could be wrong here though - takes longer to heat up then a heat pump. With the heat pump you also get to control the temp etc via a control panel. Still doing research.

From the website:
    Yo get your two types of solar collectors, the flat panel and the evacuated tubes. Both new ones can withstand any size hail thrown at it. Besides of course for the large-assed hail bollitjies.

Maintenance is minimal with the flat panel as you just need to spray it with a hose pipe every month.

In the end it is up to you tho, but with my experience in solar I can say that the tubes are awesome. They are so effective in producing heat even in the cloudiest of days. I dropped a tube off a single story roof onto the grass accidentally and it remained in tact so it just shows you that they are pretty tough.

You just need to make sure which ever route you go down that the installer installs a quality geyser... No franky crap!

I have a few heatpumps installed. Works well so far. If your in Gauteng i`d recommend ITS, they provided the best service from the few I have used. Was R16k I think for the 5.2kw or so we installed for 300liter geyser. www.itssolar.co.za
    They do solar panels as well.

If you need aircondition close to where you are putting the heat pump then try to get that as well, it produces quite a lot of free cold air.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenLink View Post
    I have a few heatpumps installed. Works well so far. If your in Gauteng i`d recommend ITS, they provided the best service from the few I have used. Was R16k I think for the 5.2kw or so we installed for 300liter geyser. www.itssolar.co.za
    They do solar panels as well.

If you need aircondition close to where you are putting the heat pump then try to get that as well, it produces quite a lot of free cold air.
    Thank you. They have some great documentation in their technical section. I have requested a quote.

Just don't expect to save on power costs for at least the first 3 years (at the price you quoted). Unless it is guaranteed for at least 3 years I wouldn't even buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    Just don't expect to save on power costs for at least the first 3 years (at the price you quoted). Unless it is guaranteed for at least 3 years I wouldn't even buy it.
    What you said doesn't make sense...

He will immediatly safe 66% on his water heating costs. If you mean he wont see the setup paying back for itself in under 3 years then yes, but with the way eskom rates and the municipal rates on the eskom tariffs are going up it just shorters the payback period everytime.
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

Just an update. I went with the ITS option at the end of the day. Been running with the system for just over month and so far very happy. there is definitely been a huge saving in my electricity cost. From about 2700kwh, down to 1900kwh for electricity for roughly the same period last year. The hot water is not as hot as it previously was but we now used to it all and glad we went with this solution. May it continue

Just an update. I went with the ITS option at the end of the day. Been running with the system for just over month and so far very happy. there is definitely been a huge saving in my electricity cost. From about 2700kwh, down to 1900kwh for electricity for roughly the same period last year. The hot water is not as hot as it previously was but we now used to it all and glad we went with this solution. May it continue
    ITS is one of the best (in my opinion the best) system out there... It is a bit more than some other systems, but its the only one with a patented integration technique to prevent mixing!!!

Just to clarify, a proper solar system actually needs less maintenance every 2 or 3 years, where the Heat Pumps require annual services.

Glad you made the right choice and that you are happy...
    MY DEAR WATSON...WE ARE THE KINGS !

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Had my (Daikin) heat pump for 18 years. No service needed at all, but I blow the radiator clean now and then. Saves money big time on hot water costs. Only suggestion is to get a copper HWC, they last forever. Plumber friend told me that steel HWC's leak one day after the warranty expires, and he replaces 4 a week.
    Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    He would start saving immediately (but of course there was a capital layout that first have to be re paid).... But even most loan repayments are less than the amount saved.... PLUS Eskom just announced the want something like 15 % per year for the next 5 years, these systems can then pay for themselve within 2 years.
    MY DEAR WATSON...WE ARE THE KINGS !

Quote Originally Posted by Pietleeu View Post
    He would start saving immediately (but of course there was a capital layout that first have to be re paid).... But even most loan repayments are less than the amount saved.... PLUS Eskom just announced the want something like 15 % per year for the next 5 years, these systems can then pay for themselve within 2 years.
    You pay R15k for a heat pump. How much power does your single geyser use that you recoup that in 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Pietleeu View Post
    Just to clarify, a proper solar system actually needs less maintenance every 2 or 3 years, where the Heat Pumps require annual services.
    Yeah, that is kinda like people who tell me air conditioners and fridges require annual servicing. It is a compressor with a heat sink and a fan.

The only parts that need servicing on a fridge is the drip tray and on an air conditioner it needs to be cleaned. For all of them you can clean out the radiator and fan but you hardly need special training to accomplish that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast