Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast

Thread: Loving my 8ta

MR3420 has problems only when using 3G modems with DDNS. If you restrict outbound connecttions to ADSL, it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck searching, there are plenty devices on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    MR3420 has problems only when using 3G modems with DDNS. If you restrict outbound connecttions to ADSL, it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck searching, there are plenty devices on the market.
    Noe that is my problem, I need DDNS to work with my Vodacom SIM, the WAG120N does fine so far wit DDNS over ADSL ...

As for searching, that is another kettle of WORMS
    Good coffee should be, black like the Devil, hot like Hell, and sweet as a Kiss - Hungarian Proverb.

Now that is my problem, I need DDNS to work with my Vodacom SIM, the WAG120N does fine so far wit DDNS over ADSL ...

As for searching, that is another kettle of WORMS
    Good coffee should be, black like the Devil, hot like Hell, and sweet as a Kiss - Hungarian Proverb.

What about micro PC with two or three NICs? If you are fluent with Linux, you can set independent routing for each port. Some of these are size of 10" tablet.
    I have v. old VIA C3 CPU using 2.5" HDD with four NICs, size 230x175x50.

Check also Microtik Router boards.

What about micro PC with two or three NICs? If you are fluent with Linux, you can set independent routing for each port. Some of these are size of 10" tablet.
    I have v. old VIA C3 CPU using 2.5" HDD with four NICs, size 230x175x50.

Check also Microtik Router boards.
    I have a MikroTik RB750GL, but it is "bricked" Murphy and Centlec (Local Eskom Derivative) conspired to-gether, and the power went off while it was updating the OS.

If nothing untoward happens, and it will accept a netinstall, it will be back in working order, and I will be smiling ear to ear. Otherwise, I am going to have to, very reluctantly, haul out the credit card, and get another. A wonderful little box it is indeed.

Bad luck, perhapse can't be recovered by reset button (usually underneath), I gather you tried it already. Some clever guys might be able to resolder chip and even program in-circuit (depends on flash chip). So don't throw it away.
    EDIT: On the models with plastic cases the access hole is under one of the silicone feet.
    EDIT: Now I see how to recover. I can do it!
    For RouterBOARD devices with no serial port, and no RouterOS access, the reset button can also start PXE booting mode.
    Source:
    http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall
    Last edited by sajunky; 28-04-2012 at 12:49 AM.

EDIT: On the models with plastic cases the access hole is under one of the silicone feet.
    EDIT: Now I see how to recover. I can do it!

Source:
    http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall
    Been there, on my third attempt, but I find those instructions more than a little confusing, it is currently connected to my netbook, after third attempt, leaving it till I get up tomorrow,(later this morning), if you think you can get it right. Well, then I have no problem putting it in a Speed post bag, with another speed post bag, included - for it to come back with, that is if you are prepared to stand in queue to collect and return it.

Important: Did you use reset button? It says that "reset button can start PXE booting mode".

I've just moved to north riding / sundowner, telkom says there's no infrastructure for adsl, thinking of trying out 8ta. Anyone in that area with 8ta? Wonder if I can test some how?

Also, I've heard of antenna / boosters for 3G, anyone know anything about that?

I'll probably get a 3G wifi router.
    Last edited by CoolBug; 28-04-2012 at 01:38 AM.
    Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

Important: Did you use reset button? It says that "reset button can start PXE booting mode".
    Yes, have a look here, might help us both ...

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...d?goto=newpost

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBug View Post
    I've just moved to north riding / sundowner, telkom says there's no infrastructure for adsl, thinking of trying out 8ta. Anyone in that area with 8ta? Wonder if I can test some how?

Get an 8ta SIM and try it out first, suggest you do the same for Vodacom, MTN and CellC, put some data on each card and test with a modem, 8ta have some decent promo's at the moment, the others are somewhat more expensive right now.

CellC where supposed to announce new promo's the 20th April, which has come and gone and well, NADA.

At my location, I get 16-18 Mb/s with Vodacom, 8-12 with 8ta, (currently 8ta is playing Silly Buggers - hence my posting in this thread) MTN and CellC 6-8 Mb/s

Now to try and organize a time that suits the 8ta tech and myself, who needs to come do tests at my location.

Try and avoid external antennas if at all possible, they have to be aligned for each cellular provider, and if you use more than one, well, that could become a real PIA, but sometimes one does not have the luxury of not using external antennas - not every one is as fortunate as myself with regard to cellular reception.

Quote Originally Posted by elf_lord_ZC5 View Post
    Yes, have a look here, might help us both ...

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...d?goto=newpost
    I see you completed PXE booting process, but something else has to be done. You are almost home.

I stop in this thread now, it has nothing with 8ta.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBug View Post

Now I am damn sure I replied to this post, but no reply on the forum - so here goes second attempt.

I suggest you get yourself prepaid SIM's from all the providers, load some data on each,use to test morning, afternoon evening, and see which give you best results.

8ta at the moment has some decent packages, and would be first choice, but end of the day, the provider, who gives you acceptable speeds, and cheapest data package is the one to go for. Be very careful of data contracts and out of bundle charges.

Poynting supply some good antennas, but they have to be aligned with the provider of choice'es tower, which can be tiresome, should you use more than a single provider.

As far as routers go, I am happy with my Huawei B683 I got from 8ta.

If you want to buy your modem/router outright, then 8ta or Vodacom are the only ones I know of who will sell them to you without forcing you to RICA another unwanted SIM card, MTN only sell their devices on contract, or to existing MTN contract customers.

Have not tried buying any devices from CellC yet, so cannot comment on their policy in this regard.

May you find a combination of hardware and provider that makes you happy.
    Last edited by elf_lord_ZC5; 28-04-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Master

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1922351918.png

I am still happy with 8ta for now .

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wezzy777 View Post
    Switched from MTN (hate MTN with the most utmost passion but that's for another day) to 8ta and could not be happier, the speeds are great and service is outstanding.

Well done 8ta
    Got 3 PCs and PS3 running from my 8ta + 3g Router = awesome

Better then Cell C and Voda

No complaints here

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast