Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglasdale Exchange 011 704xxxx

Default Douglasdale Exchange 011 704xxxx

That won't work for me , the signal strength on Galloway road is crap

Quote Originally Posted by Jladan View Post
    That won't work for me , the signal strength on Galloway road is crap
    Yeah same here - Hopefully the telkom guys who my issues were escalated to will be at work on Monday and be able to give some feedback - I just hope there is an upgrade to the exchange connectivity in progress.

ADSL link down.... they working on something hopefully..

Quote Originally Posted by bdupreez View Post
    ADSL link down.... they working on something hopefully..
    Well I'd hope so but we just had a few power failures this morning.

Well that was indeed an odd weekend, my line has been upgraded to 4mbps on Thursday as an attempt to fix the issue, Sat was full speed, no packet loss, then we had a power failure on Sunday, when the line came back up I am now back to 256kbps and 50+% packet loss.

Something is definately not well with the exchange equipment or interlinks.

Yeah, sounds about the same except, from the power failure until this morning I had no ADSL signal what so ever. Logged a call for that, they seem to have fixed that this morning, now just back to the 25%+ packet loss...

This Olivedale exchange scenario has forced me to do the following:
    I have contacted Webafrica, downgraded my line and package to the 1mbps uncapped, from the 4mbps home pro, not like ever got 4mbps anyways... the R200+ I am saving there I used to get the 8ta 10gb deal... so for downloads, updates and the like I'll use adsl, but when I actually want to use the internet I'll be switching to 3g

Depending on where you are, you should maybe try Amobia, heard some good things about them so far, the only issue is that they need line of sight to their tower, so it wasn't an option to me.
    Last edited by bdupreez; 30-04-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Amobia has perfect LOS from the Northcliff tower to me, unfortunately I can't get permission from the Body Corporate to mount the antennae, they don't understand that iffy connections suck

I'm still hoping that Telkom can actually put some effort into their best effort ADSL network. It amazes me how poorly serviced this area is, you would think Telkom would make a killing of an area with high density population that has cash for decent web connections

An update today from Telkom (not that it's anything new)

The problem is in the exchange, and is affecting the whole area. We have identified the problem and need to upgrade the exchange, unfortunately this problem can take a considerable time to restore. I am still trying to get a date of when the DSLM will get upgraded with more bandwidth.
    Regards
    As soon as I hear more Ill let you all know.

Something is definately not well with the exchange equipment or interlinks.
    As is the case with MOST exchanges in Gauteng these days... especially WRK

Again, you would think this particular area would be a gold mine for telkom if they got the exchange right , imagine the data , line and revenue potential of the suburb. Someone at telkom doesn't have their business hat on

Yeah, unfortunately not much we can do until they upgrade the exchange, and until then the other providers are also going to struggle with their load in the area, 3g, iBurst etc etc..

I'm on the 704-xxxx exchange and my line can sync at 10Mb with no issues. The line actually supports 24Mb according to my router.

Mode: ADSL2+
    Line Coding: Trellis On

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin (dB): 15.3 20.3
    Attenuation (dB): 23.0 10.6
    Output Power (dBm): 0.0 1.2
    Attainable Rate (Kbps): 24332 1124

What street or area r u in ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jladan View Post
    What street or area r u in ?
    Bellairs Drive, Northriding

OK so perhaps the central exchange and some of the subs connecting to it are OK. Some however most definately aren't. I suspect this forum is getting closer to the real source of the issue than Telkom is at this point...

I think we start of list of the the Sub exchanges connected to the main one (which appears to be OK) and cross them off one by one. Hopefully we can isolate the damaged one(s) and take the blind man to the water so to speak

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast