Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Do you remember Springbok Radio

Default Do you remember Springbok Radio

the shows on springbok radio as in squad cars, the creaking door, 3 wise men, taxi, springbok hits with david gresham, pick a box etc.

i used to love listening to them on a sunday night but i used to carp myself when i heard that creaking door.

memories are made of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iYu6d-y4Ms
    I won my first cage fight today. Stupid budgie won't be pecking me with that beak again.

Loved me some Pip Friedman on a Saturday morning... I really enjoyed some of the serial shows they had between 8 and 9 on weekdays. The one I remember most was a thing called "The Approach of the Apocalypse" and if I could just find a copy of "The Great Springbok Radio Gong Mystery"... Eish!
    You forgot Jet Jungle, The Men From the Ministry and Tannie Esme's So Maak Mens.

You can still listen to some shows!!! http://www.springbokradio.com/AudioStream.html
    ELO: Here is the news...

Current schedule:
    12:00; 18:00; 00:00; 06:00: Opening - Les Smith
    12:15; 18:15; 00:15; 06:15: 9-30 Dossier: Mr Scarface And Company (17), by Kenneth Hendel (1984/10/30)
    12:45; 18:45; 00:45; 06:45: Call Back The Past: 1964, by Percy Sieff (1979/01/08), restored and provided by Frans Erasmus
    13:00; 19:00; 01:00; 07:00: Taxi: At the Races, by Joe Stewardson
    13:30; 19:30; 01:30; 07:30: High Adventure: Shoot One Time, by Beryl Bing (1972/06/24)
    14:00; 20:00; 02:00; 08:00: Squad Cars: Burglar Alarm Service, by Adrian Steed
    14:30; 20:30; 02:30; 08:30: Sarie '73 (1973/10/03)
    15:00; 21:00; 03:00; 09:00: Wolwedans In Die Skemer: Reeks 1 #284, deur Leon van Nierop
    15:30; 21:30; 03:30; 09:30: The Creaking Door: Three Wishes, by Alastair Scobie (1968)
    16:00; 22:00; 04:00; 10:00: Medical File: An Onion A Day (1969/06/27)
    16:30; 22:30; 04:30; 10:30: Take a Chance, by Michael Meyer & Darryl Jooste
    17:00; 23:00; 05:00; 11:00: The Sounds Of Darkness: Birds For Sale, by Joe Stewardson (1967/12/01)
    17:30; 23:30; 05:30; 12:30: General Motors On Safari: Spikes Reef, by Timothey Bungey (1968/03/012)

It's a pity most of the site is currently under construction. There use to be plenty of info and sound clips, adverts, etc. available. I hope it all comes back again!

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greg0205 View Post
    Loved me some Pip Friedman on a Saturday morning... I really enjoyed some of the serial shows they had between 8 and 9 on weekdays. The one I remember most was a thing called "The Approach of the Apocalypse" and if I could just find a copy of "The Great Springbok Radio Gong Mystery"... Eish!
    You forgot Jet Jungle, The Men From the Ministry and Tannie Esme's So Maak Mens.
    The Great Springbok Radio Gong Robbery - classic ! The Avenger's Spoof, this must be floating around the internet somewhere.

I also loved "The Crunchy Granola Robbery" too... Darryl Jooste and Michael Meyer ... lol... Miems Meiring! Man oh' man they were funny.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Sad news... the South African actor Dale Cutts died last week... his funeral is tomorrow.

If you listened to Springbok Radio in the day, you would have heard him on many shows... Squadcars, My Name is Adam Kane... just to name a couple. He also wrote and produced a number of the series. He also acted in the TV series "The Villagers" back in them days.

R.I.P.

Super Grandmaster

Although I dont know if he was on springbok radio -but the legendary cricket commentator Charles Fortune was a winner.
    I will never forget, as a tiny kid we were traveling on the blue train between pretoria & cape town. The compartments in the train had built in radios.
    There was some great cricket match on at the time & my dad was listening with bated breath. But Charles Fortune was concentrating on & describing in minute detail the birds in the trees & cumuli-nimbus clouds overhead. Then it appears some exotic bird landed on the cricket pitch which had Charles Fortune in raptures - and my old man totally bent out of shape, cursing & hurling abuse at Charles Fortune (well the radio) & threatening to pluck his eyebrows out with a pair of pliers !

Creaking door was good, not to mention the SA version of Men from the Ministry. I've tried the UK version, but no comparison to the SA version.
    I also seem to remember the Goon show from time to time. It brings back memories. Was very upset when the station closed down.

Father Dear Father

Squad Carrrrs??

No Place To Hide.
    The surf show Pick-a-Box
    Eric Egan's Hello Kids.
    Caltex Kaskenades.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    You can still listen to some shows!!! http://www.springbokradio.com/AudioStream.html
    Some years ago I downloaded every audio file on their website.

The Springbok News at Seven PM intro is the main ringtone on my phone.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by greg0205 View Post
    You forgot Jet Jungle, The Men From the Ministry
    And just before or after Men from the Ministry was The Navy Lark (which from memory was as funny).

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Some years ago I downloaded every audio file on their website.

The Springbok News at Seven PM intro is the main ringtone on my phone.
    Same here All the adverts, everything!