Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Anyone else doing the 240km Trans Karoo MTB ride on Saturday?

Question Anyone else doing the 240km Trans Karoo MTB ride on Saturday?

Just curious if there is anyone else here on MyBroadband that was crazy enough to enter the Trans Karoo endurance ride from Ceres to Sutherland this coming Saturday? I see that in total there will only be 210 riders of which only 66 are solo riders like me. Would be reassuring to know I'm not going to be amongst complete strangers
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Grandmaster

Good luck! Im sure you will be fine..

Ive only recently started with MTB(Havent exercised in over a year before this) but have been going at it for about the past month, just entered my 1st race now which is in two weeks time and its 56km, yet the further-est Ive ever ridden is just over 30km! Going to try a couple 60km training routes this week, otherwise ill just have to take it easy!

Anyhow as i said good luck and have fun! You're already not alone, 66 other crazy people like you!
    http://www.domaincheap.co.za
    Please signup to Dropbox with my referral! Greatly appreciated!

Let me know which races you are going to do because I only started last year but I did as many as I could : http://www.pedalpower.org.za/LegacyA...RiderID=449763

I also track all of my races with Sports-Tracker so I have detailed route and profile information should you want to see that before an event.
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Grandmaster

Cool, im down in PE as you can see, this one is called woody cape, i think last year was the 1st one, it near Alexandra between PE and Port Alfred! Im actually waiting for them to confirm my entry because i only paid on friday! Hopefully will get it in the next day or two!

Im also tracking all my cycling but im using an app called endomondo. Was the 1st one i came across and its pretty awesome! Will have a look at your profile! Anyhow i just got back from a cycle now, so shower time! Good luck once again! Enjoy it!

240km's on a MTB ? Your poor sack !

Went to the registration event at Cape Union Mart last night and they had a presentation about the route and all the stuff regarding this event. I sort of realised then how big this thing really is. I have done 126km road events and I know how taxing they can be. I also did the Karoo to Coast last year and while its only 100km it still took me 4h45 to complete it. This thing is entirely different because it is an endurance event, not a race, and that is something new to me.

Personally I'd say I'm feeling cautiously optimistic... then after 190km my feeling will no doubt be much different when I hit this :

Just an update for all those that were interested, the inaugural Trans Karoo MTB was a great success. Of the 210 entrants only 8 quit and 2 did not start so in total there were 200 of us that completed it. I managed to do it in 14h10m which landed me about 36th out of 62 solo riders. I tried to sports-track the route but the first phone died after 193km and the second phone only kicked in a few km after the last checkpoint.

Hope they will be doing this event again next year as it is the longest single stage event where you can take part as solo rider and it really is an amazing challenge. For more info check out http://www.transkaroomtb.co.za/transkaroo

The only thing that comes close to this is the Karoo To Coast in September and I look forward to my second ride on it.

That looks awesome ! Do you ride it in one shot ?

4:30 for a road race is not bad, so I take it you are quite a serious rider ? Whats a good time for you on 100km ?
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

The ride has 4 compulsory checkpoints and on average you spend about 15 minutes at each. So while my total time is 14h10m my time on the bike was about 13h15m. Each checkpoint has a cut off time for your safety and the final cut off time is 20 hours, but trust me you do not want to ride to Sutherland at 3am in the morning. I got there after 9pm and it was pretty cold already

Time wise you can't really compare this to anything else because its all about endurance. For a road race they say 3 hours is good for 100km. Well, that's the logic they apply to the Argus anyway but it took me 3h45 to do the Argus. Karoo To Coast is 100km and my initial ride was 4h45 which is considered pretty good.

Grandmaster

Congrats on doing it! Well done on doing pretty damn well!

Taking a rest today, did 60KM yesterday and I'm dead today haha, but I think the one coming up this weekend will be OKAY...

Well done on completing the race - we were sitting at the 70km to go mark watching you guys ride past and wondering how you'd manage Ouberg.

I believe next year is the 'downhill' run, Sutherland to Ceres, so Raynard Tissink keeps the crown until 2014.

Oh yeah, I remember you guys! I rode past and commented "Now that looks like a much better idea" Thanks for the support, there was very little of it due to the nature of the route so it was very much appreciated.

It was OK further on, except for the sinkplaat section on the road, no bike suspension can smooth that out. I did a lot of pushing up Ouberg and by the time I reached the top it night. Last 40k to Sutherland was weird cause it was the first time I rode at night and I had no one else around me, overtook a few people because by that time I was really gatvol and just wanted to get it done.

Yep, next year is downhill with some slight changes to the route. Really looking forward to that
    Last edited by Rouxenator; 03-05-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Grandmaster

Just finished the woodycape IT was death, not really sure of my time but definitely more than 4hours.. Will post once I know!

Grandmaster

125 entres, 102 picked up there numbers, 86 finished I came 77/78! Took me 5hrs29min! Winning guy Took 2hrs49min, no idea how he did it, hill father hill after hill!

If you wanted to see what this is all about :
    Relive the blood, sweat and gears of the 2012 Aspen Trans Karoo tomorrow evening on Supercycling at 19H00 on DSTV channel 207