Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Lumia 710 launched in South Africa, pricing reveled

Default Nokia Lumia 710 launched in South Africa, pricing reveled

Nokia Lumia 710 launched in South Africa, pricing revealed

Lower cost Windows Phone 7 device launched in SA, pricing revealed

Bad... R 4000 for a subpar device specs wise. When you're new in the market you should be humble...

I honestly think Nokia SA sucks at marketing their smartphones. They are priced to match Androids like Galaxy S2 yet they're not as much phone. Its like pricing an iPhone without the hype. Blind!

Quote Originally Posted by jes View Post
    Nokia Lumia 710 launched in South Africa, pricing revealed

Lower cost Windows Phone 7 device launched in SA, pricing revealed
    This is much better news.

The other article had said the price would be R3,999 for the Lumia 610. If this is the price for the higher spec'ed 710 then there is hope that the 610 will be at least R1,500 cheaper = R2,499 at launch. Effectively competing with the latest BB's and Samsung in its class.

By the time I am ready to buy it, which is next year in Jan/Feb the price could have plummeted down a little to about R1,999, which IMO is pretty reasonable.

Thank you for the update.

Keep us posted and keep up the great work.

Last edited by dudewotevr; 23-04-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    ZTE Nubia Z5s Mini - MIUI V5
    Q9400 @3.7 | 6GB Dominator | MIIF | GTX670 @1150/1700 | 120GB Vertex3 | LA32D550 | HX520

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by dudewotevr View Post
    710 has piss poor battery life.
    At least the 3g talk time is above average, far better than most Samsungs and the iPhone 4s

Another failure from Nokia.

Why make single cored phones even now, most phones are dual core, heading to quad core, and nokia is still behind?

It would be much better if this phone has Android OS on it, WP is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by ngadao08 View Post
    Another failure from Nokia.

Why make single cored phones even now, most phones are dual core, heading to quad core, and nokia is still behind?

It would be much better if this phone has Android OS on it, WP is dead.
    Why will people not stop saying this? WP is not dead. It isn't doing well, but it definitely is not dead. It's by far the best platform (yes, I've used them all) for my needs. And I'm not unique.
    My Site: http://blog.roguecode.co.za
    I make awesome Windows Phone apps for awesome companies, also, Plex.

Quote Originally Posted by roguemat View Post
    Why will people not stop saying this? WP is not dead. It isn't doing well, but it definitely is not dead. It's by far the best platform (yes, I've used them all) for my needs. And I'm not unique.
    Ahm, is it just me, or do you seem a little bit biased towards WP. You have a WP fan site, and ~5 apps you have developed for WP. Probably, because you haven't experienced non-Microsoft crap before. It seems it only fits your needs because you only know a Microsoft developed language and that is compatible with WP. Seriously, WP is too full of bugs, I won't want to download updates every single day, just to fix basic bugs. If they really want to get their act straight, then they shouldn't release faulty software.

Microsoft is already losing the war on the Internet and tablet side of things, only a matter of time until they lose the PC dominance. Microsoft, should start innovating more and play less catchup towards other companies.
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it,... , unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Gautama Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Centaur View Post
    Ahm, is it just me, or do you seem a little bit biased towards WP. You have a WP fan site, and ~5 apps you have developed for WP. Probably, because you haven't experienced non-Microsoft crap before. It seems it only fits your needs because you only know a Microsoft developed language and that is compatible with WP. Seriously, WP is too full of bugs, I won't want to download updates every single day, just to fix basic bugs. If they really want to get their act straight, then they shouldn't release faulty software.

Microsoft is already losing the war on the Internet and tablet side of things, only a matter of time until they lose the PC dominance. Microsoft, should start innovating more and play less catchup towards other companies.
    Yeah, ofcourse I am biased towards WP - because I really really like it. And I'm not saying that X is better than Y, I'm saying that I prefer X to Y. If I couldn't code it would be no different. I would still love it. If I didn't I would just use the WP7 as a dev device and use whatever phone I preferred.

Actually WP7 has remarkably few bugs. The Lumia's have had battery and data problems, but that is device specific, and more Nokia's fault. The biggest bug that has effected WP7 is general is probably the keyboard dissapearing, which most people took a month or two to ever actually notice.

Most people complain when they don't get updates (I'm looking at you Android users)...you are complaining that you're GETTING updates o.0.

Look, I'm just saying that everyone is allowed to like whatever they want, and don't presume that your use case or your feelings are the same as everyone elses.

On the tablet side, have you used W8 on a slate? It's awesome (IMO). I'm using W8 on my main desktop and slate with no problems, besides usual beta bugs. They are late to the party, but have the advantage of still having a massive marketshare (desktop). I'm excited to see where things head to be honest, and I hope they don't stuff this up.

p.s. WPCentral isn't really a WP7 fan site. That would be like calling MyBB an adsl fan site - which I guess is partly correct.
    Last edited by roguemat; 23-04-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roguemat View Post
    Most people complain when they don't get updates (I'm looking at you Android users)...you are complaining that you're GETTING updates o.0.
    Updates that are for adding new features = win.
    Updates for fixing simple but devastating bugs = fail.

Seriously, we're talking about a company that's been making operating systems for DECADES, and their mobile efforts have been at least a decade as well. They should NOT be screwing up like this, yet they are.

No amount of "slick, awesome UI" is going to help when my phone dies during the day and I'm nowhere near a place I can charge it, or when my bundles expire and I need to use USSD to buy more, or when I need to type an sms or email and the keyboard disappears.

Would anybody be as forgiving if Bada screwed up this badly?

Yes I get that you like it and are entitled to your opinion, but dont get surprised when people see the screw ups and say

Quote Originally Posted by ngadao08 View Post
    Another failure
    We all have our opinions, usually well thought out based on the evidence given.
    Last edited by Mouse; 23-04-2012 at 11:11 PM.

I love WP7. It may get a lot of updates, but far fewer than the amount Android has received since its release.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Updates that are for adding new features = win.
    Updates for fixing simple but devastating bugs = fail.

Seriously, we're talking about a company that's been making operating systems for DECADES, and their mobile efforts have been at least a decade as well. They should NOT be screwing up like this, yet they are.

No amount of "slick, awesome UI" is going to help when my phone dies during the day and I'm nowhere near a place I can charge it, or when my bundles expire and I need to use USSD to buy more, or when I need to type an sms or email and the keyboard disappears.

Would anybody be as forgiving if Bada screwed up this badly?

Yes I get that you like it and are entitled to your opinion, but dont get surprised when people see the screw ups and say

We all have our opinions, usually well thought out based on the evidence given.
    Ok, you are really going on hearsay now. The only valid point was USSD.
    Battery is fixed, as is the disappearing keyboard. I have one device that I have not updated with the keyboard fix and I can't remember it ever happening in the 2 months of having it. It did happen on one of my other devices, but you do realize that a single tap brings it up again right?

So basically, barring the keyboard one, all the major bugs have been on Nokias side. Those were the battery, data, and soft-key illumination.

So please enlighten me on what major bugs have actually got past MS?

Now lets compare this to the other big players. Both iOS and Android have had their fair share of major problems. Which leads me to believe that you are still using a Nokia 3310 or the like - which doesn't do enough to actually be buggy.

P.s. There was actually a bug at launch with yahoo, and although it was yahoos bad, its is MSs problem as it shipped across all devices.

My problem only with the pricing. WP or another OS does have a place in the world!

One can get a Galaxy S2 for that price. What are they smoking? I also believe WP is dead. The amount of apps you have is key and WP is far behind. Also dropping the free storage on Skydrive to 7 GB is a fail. At least it gives Google Drive a much better chance. The amount of spam in Hotmail I receive is also a joke then they want to brag about their "state of the art" spam filter.

Quote Originally Posted by arneduppi View Post
    One can get a Galaxy S2 for that price. What are they smoking? I also believe WP is dead. The amount of apps you have is key and WP is far behind. Also dropping the free storage on Skydrive to 7 GB is a fail. At least it gives Google Drive a much better chance. The amount of spam in Hotmail I receive is also a joke then they want to brag about their "state of the art" spam filter.
    The wp7 marketplace is the fastest growing one of them all. And with wp8 sharing the code base of windows 8, its safe to assume that this trend will scale up.
    While it is dissapointing that they dropped it to 7, that's still better than googles and dropbox's offerings. Plus the plans are dirt cheap. And anyway, go login to your account and you can keep the 25gb forever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast