Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivy Bridge is here but if you have a Sandy Bridge system the upgrade isn't worth it

I think the 3570K will be the one then. What about the 3570K vs 2600K. Which is better

Does the ASUS P8Z68V_PROGEN3 have IVY support?
    #FREEISRAEL

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155 it says that H61 chipsets support Ivy Bridge. Does that mean you can take any mobo with H61 and put in an Ivy Bridge?

Also, what cooler would you guys say is very good for overclocking on air with an i5?

And lastly, do different chipsets influence the speed of the CPU? ie. will the CPU alone run faster on a p67 or z68 than on a h61?

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I actually expected the Ivy Bridge CPU's (with the tri-gate transistors) to be much more efficient in terms of power consumption.

I have to say that there is a massive power consumption difference between running an i7 3770k @ 4.8GHz vs i7 920 @ 4GHz, but I'll have to leave on my i7 940 @ 3.8GHz at full load, 24/7 for a few months before the saving on the electricity bill would make it worth while to upgrade...

One cool thing about the Ivy Bridge is that we now can recommend slightly cheaper power supplies for the heavy overclockers...

@stevovo:
    WIth an H61 chipset you won't be able to overclock the CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper84 View Post
    I think the 3570K will be the one then. What about the 3570K vs 2600K. Which is better
    I would personally lean to the new chip, its higher IPC will give it the lead in most games

Quote Originally Posted by marine1 View Post
    Does the ASUS P8Z68V_PROGEN3 have IVY support?
    Best is to check the supported CPU list for your board, which does not show it (yet). I'm sure it will be added soon, Asus is usually good with new chips. Be sure to update your bios before you get the new chip!

Quote Originally Posted by stevovo View Post
    Also, what cooler would you guys say is very good for overclocking on air with an i5?

And lastly, do different chipsets influence the speed of the CPU? ie. will the CPU alone run faster on a p67 or z68 than on a h61?
    From the little we've seen, any half decent air cooler will be fine. Cogage True Spirit is always a good choice, and cheap to boot. Chipsets will not affect stock speeds, but overclocking it can. H61 can not be overclocked, whereas P67 and Z68 can be

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    One cool thing about the Ivy Bridge is that we now can recommend slightly cheaper power supplies for the heavy overclockers...
    Its only a 20W difference from what I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    @stevovo:
    WIth an H61 chipset you won't be able to overclock the CPU.
    Ok so a person would need at least a p67 as well as a cpu with a K at the end.

Super Grandmaster

Just got notice that we'll be getting a bit of a bonus this month, so I suppose this is as good a time as any to upgrade. Has anyone come up with a good cookie-cutter build as with the 2500k's yet? In other words, value for money CPU, motherboard and RAM?
    I'll probably be wanting SLI support on the motherboard. ASRock gets mentioned a good deal on Carbonite but Asus and the like is probably the way to go?

Messugga. Have a look at the gigabyte z77 boards as well. The one I got came with a cool Wifi/BT 4 add on card and is reasonable.

As far as I know, the P67 boards cant take Ivy Bridge. Might be wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions Archer. I am leaning towards the 3570K. I see there are massive gains in Shogun 2 which is weird but I love that game so its a bonus

Great stuff, my 920 can now become my work pc . I can now retire my q9550 to the accounting department pc where her days will be relax

Boy it's been a long wait but finally it's here!!!!!!!!

Messugga. Have a look at the gigabyte z77 boards as well. The one I got came with a cool Wifi/BT 4 add on card and is reasonable.

As far as I know, the P67 boards cant take Ivy Bridge. Might be wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions Archer. I am leaning towards the 3570K. I see there are massive gains in Shogun 2 which is weird but I love that game so its a bonus
    my friend z77 ud3 and z77 ud5, all ready in for rma, booting issues lol same as some z68 and p67 had
    Www.gtxgaming.co.za
    For all your graphics card requirements!

Will Intel discontinue sandy bridge like the 1st generation processors

looks like Sandy bridge prices went up this week ?? sigh :P
    :: i5 4690K :: Level 10 GT Snow Leopard :: 12GB Corsair :: 10.5TB ::
    :: Sammy 46" :: Radeon 280x :: Win7 :: 10 meg uncapped

Quote Originally Posted by Messugga View Post
    Just got notice that we'll be getting a bit of a bonus this month, so I suppose this is as good a time as any to upgrade. Has anyone come up with a good cookie-cutter build as with the 2500k's yet? In other words, value for money CPU, motherboard and RAM?
    I'll probably be wanting SLI support on the motherboard. ASRock gets mentioned a good deal on Carbonite but Asus and the like is probably the way to go?
    I think you will have to wait a little longer for more reviews before we will be able to build a value for money pc with Ivy bridge.The cpu just been released now we need more Ivy bridge motherboard reviews.To make sure the motherboard is actually good and not just cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ngadao08 View Post
    I hope not, I just finished my sandy bridge pc
    Last edited by Pe-Killer; 24-04-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    One leaves the internet alone for just a couple of hours and someone gets but raped...

+1 But if you coming from s775 like me then its a major upgrade. Just can't decide if I'm going 3770K or 3570K?
    Don't go for the i7 total waste of money. I went from S775 to sandy bridge i5-2500k. Saved R1K and spend it towards another video card or other stuff. The i7 is just for bragging rights. I say go for the 3570k.

Quote Originally Posted by ngadao08 View Post
    Well how many times do you get a processor failing on you. First thing to fail is always the motherboard so I see no point of going on with Sandy bridge and it will save them money to make the processors cheaper.
    i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz Corsair H100i|MSI z97 gaming 5|16GB ADATA XPG v2 2400mhz|2xRadeon R9-280x|256GB Lite-on SSD|Corsair Air 540|Corsair AX850W

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast