Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking at upgrading... but get confused so much!!!

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by greg_SA View Post
    I recently upgrade from an old Nikon D40... looked at the D7000, but I'm not into video, and the high resolution means that you need pro level lenses to resolve the full resolution.
    The only time you'll see a difference is if you're viewinging your images at 100% all the time. A lens that's going to look bad at regular vewing sizes is going to be equally bad on the D40 and D7000. And there are many many many "consumer" lenses that are perfectly adequate for a 16MP sensor. The 35mm f/1.8 G, the 85mm f/1.8 G, and even the older 85mm f/1.8 D are all excellent consumer primes. The 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR is a fairly decent consumer zoom too. All tested on the D7000...

The thing about resolution, is what you see in the charts doesn't always translate so well into the real world. The Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II is meant to be much sharper than the older version, particulary on a crop body. I've used both on the 7D - shot several thousand shots on each. Don't ask me to tell them apart though.

Quote Originally Posted by greg_SA View Post
    After a lot of research and long discussions with Orms, I went for the D90. I used the money I saved towards another lens. For the lenses I can afford, the 12Mpixel D90 is plenty.
    I can't argue agains the D90 though. Especially not at the price it's going for right now!

A lot has been said already that makes a lot of sense but no mention of the new D3200 / D5200 ... Does anybody have any clue as to local release dates ???

If you can afford it both the 7D and D7000 are stonkingly fantastic piece of kit ... both brands have their pros and cons but either camera should keep you happy for quite a while!

Edit: OK, I've been a bit hasty by including the D5200 in first sentence and although the D3200 may sound more like a sideways upgrade than anything else just looking at what this thing is capable of with a bloody standard kit lens is amazing ... DPReview Sample Gallery ... download one or two original sized images and sharpen (especially the boats in the harbour), be prepared to be astounded. Seriously!
    Last edited by Deezil; 28-04-2012 at 08:53 AM.

I think one of the retailers listed the D3200 as being available towards the end of May.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by koffiejunkie View Post
    The only time you'll see a difference is if you're viewinging your images at 100% all the time. A lens that's going to look bad at regular vewing sizes is going to be equally bad on the D40 and D7000. And there are many many many "consumer" lenses that are perfectly adequate for a 16MP sensor. The 35mm f/1.8 G, the 85mm f/1.8 G, and even the older 85mm f/1.8 D are all excellent consumer primes. The 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR is a fairly decent consumer zoom too. All tested on the D7000...

The thing about resolution, is what you see in the charts doesn't always translate so well into the real world. The Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II is meant to be much sharper than the older version, particulary on a crop body. I've used both on the 7D - shot several thousand shots on each. Don't ask me to tell them apart though.

I can't argue agains the D90 though. Especially not at the price it's going for right now!

I've gone ahead and bought a D90.
    Decided to use the money saved, towards nicer glass.

Was offered a 5100 and a 3200 (of which I would collect later, overseas purchase) - but decided that I didn't want to be limited by the AF availability on various non-AF-S lenses.

Gonna play around now!!
    Hubert H. Humphrey
    “Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.”

Excellent camera... despite it's age. I shoot with one too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123